Broken 360

dyna

alright, so my friends 360 is out of warranty and has a broken DVD drive. It will basically spin up but will not read anything. So I thought I might try to put linux on it but all of the guides require me to have a dvd drive. Is there any way t orun it via usb or ethernet? what should i do with this broken 360?

It would be so much better if you could install linux to the 360 over the network... :-(

Only options you really have now with stock Operating system is turn it into a media receiver with tversity or orb or play some XBLA games.

Buy a PS3.

Ouch...,

Why not just open it up and put in a new drive..., it's just a ribbon/power cable, right? If that's not an option, send it to microsoft. You DO now have a three year warranty on that beast.

Perform the towel trick (burn out the xbox to get 3 red lights) because Microsoft offers a 3 year warranty for 3 rings. Everything else is given only a year warranty. I've personally tested this and it works.

ya know that's a great idea

whatever you do. Do not open that xbox or break the seal, unless you understand that you may need up having to buy a new one if you can't fix it. Microsoft doesn't ask any questions for the 3 rings; they just send you a refurbished one, an extra year of warranty, and a free month of xbox live but as soon as you break the seal they will not even accept it. Just give the 3 rings and send it in. It will be the better choice in the long run.

well my problem isnt out of warranty its that we dont appear on their list of places they can send the box to for us to ship it back, we did a couple years back but other than taht, we dont now. the nearest place taht does it probably about 30miles away and i cant deal with that. so i might buy a new dvd drive, and make it a computer a real one.. meh..

Buy a new one from walmart or bestbuy or some major business that can take a loss, then change the stickers from each other on the box's and the HD's, Then bring it back and say it dont work and you want a refund or store credit. Blamo! New Box that works for free, MS is shit when it comes to their warrantys, they dont offer shit for customer service.