2009 UK meet up?

metatron

June or July?  

24 members have voted

1. 1. June or July, which month to have it on?

• June
    • July

Yeah, I don't need babysitting. No offense taken. :)

Just needed something to do and thought it might be a good opportunity to meet up with like minded people and learn some interesting stuff and have a good time.

NOONE anywhere near me knows the slightest about tech. I am the sysadmin for the local primary school - you get the picture. :P

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm happy enough to meet anyone, but the only person I know that is under 18 that will most likely turn up is James, but he is not far off it as he is off to uni this year and I've known him for a while and he's an okay bloke.

I have to say the issue is as said by stingwray, there will be places that may not allow under 18's in, such as pubs. Alcohol is the great social lubricant that helps the world function that little bit better and although drinking is by no means a massive part of any meeting, it still remains a part of it and something you do while talking shit.

On a side note, I've got every tool/app/random shit working on my N810 and as it supports USB Host, I'll be bring that over a laptop as it fits in my pocket along with radio and other random tools. Have to say I've not played with my N810 in a while but I'm falling back in love with it now I have a dev environment set up for it, to do cross compiling for things like Kismet, Aircrack-ng, P0f, dsniff, nmap, ettercap, Strobe, Scapy/Scapy6 and many, many other tools along with my own code.

I'll give it a miss on second thoughts, cos I don't wanna be a burden on you lot.

I'll leave it another couple of years. I can travel more then too.

Plus I have no one to go with anyhoo, I have no friends in tech.

Hope it goes well for you all :)

Okay, so this thing is fast approaching (next weekend) I have no idea who is turning up but if you are and want to meet up for drinks, I'll be at The Nell of Old Drury, http://www.nellofolddrury.com/direct.htm from around 19:30ish on Friday, if you want to meet there. If anyone wants to meet up earlier pm me and we can swap numbers, I'll be about all day doing things.

I'll be operating on 69MHz if you have access to a radio.

I've set up a few numbers:

UK

Number#Extension: +(44)208-1146104 # 651

US

Number#Extension: +(1)646-3857354 # 306

Australia

Number#Extension: +(61)280-147294 # 297

I'll take them down afterwards

Right, well the day is nearly upon us.

I'm working tomorrow, but I'll hopefully be leaving a little early, god knows I've deserve it.

I'll probably make my way to the pub for about 7:30 rather than going to Trocadero first, depends on my mood.

As for Saturday, I looked at the Open Tech 2009 schedule and to be frank, it looks really crap, there was absolutely nothing there that made me think I want to go. So I'd love to find something else to do on Saturday.

Looking forward to meeting a few of you.

Beer you say?

Yes. I'm just about to head up to London as there are a few things I want to do before. I'll probably head to The Nell of Old Drury at 7.30pm too, as I want to take a shower and do a few other bits before heading to the pub after my thing.

I think we're starting at OpenTech today and then probably moving on to other exciting things. Come down if you can!

I was actually there today. thing is, I have no idea what you guys look like so.... probably should have thought that one through! ahaha

It was an interesting event anyway. No ficking wifi, yes... I admit i have no wifi-fu tools on my laptop ... [bows his head in shame]

Where are you guys off to next? Im going to get a few hours sleep now... i see dead people.

im on msn

I think we're starting at OpenTech today and then probably moving on to other exciting things. Come down if you can!

Last night was pretty good, I should have booked accommodation though. Turns out there was some kinda tennis game on, and the entire population of my town was catching the last 2 trains back. Took me 3 hours to get home, the train was packed like the tokyo subway (but with drunken singing) and the aircon had failed in my carriage. Was going to come back to Open Tech but I woke up at 14 feeling like I was dieing.

I take it that 2600 in London is a regular thing? Going to start going to that, last night was a real eye opener.

Last night was pretty good, I should have booked accommodation though. Turns out there was some kinda tennis game on, and the entire population of my town was catching the last 2 trains back. Took me 3 hours to get home, the train was packed like the tokyo subway (but with drunken singing) and the aircon had failed in my carriage. Was going to come back to Open Tech but I woke up at 14 feeling like I was dieing.

I take it that 2600 in London is a regular thing? Going to start going to that, last night was a real eye opener.

Yeah first Friday of every month. They do a mid month too, but not many people go to the mid month. I'd stick to the main one. You did not really miss anything on the Saturday, OpenTech was a bit boring, I bumped into a few friends so had to stick it out for a bit, but I ended up wondering off at about 5ish.

Glasgow meet up would be good. But london would be good too

Its hard enough to get people to come to London let alone Glasgow, plus I don't think anything else is really going to happen this year. I've got the 24th to the 31st of August off if someone wants to put something together, but I was thinking of just going to Minnesota to see some friends.

I think in future, one person needs to pick the dates and place, then just see who wants to come, as voting does not really work well in this case.

• 3 weeks later...

hey metatron, I've just found this thread and was scanning through and I was amazed to see that someone who has a 'novice,intermediate and full licence' operates on FRS because it has better coverage than 446 , why not just use 70CM if you legally can? if not why not just get hold of some ex PMR equipment which can easliy do 5W (yes some of it can do the 6.25K spacing...) and modify it for 446???

Well FRS is a US standard so it really has no one operating on it in the UK and as my IC-E90 is modded I can operate on the frequencies at 5watts and just give out cheap Uniden FRS radio's I buy in the US. PMR446 tends to be full of learner motorbike riders and kids so its best to stay clear of that. 2M/70CM is full of old boys who feel the need to talk about how big their antenna is and how much money they have spent on there other equipment. I do like to operate on 4M and 10M but its a lot harder for me to give out a lot of radios.

Well FRS is a US standard so it really has no one operating on it in the UK and as my IC-E90 is modded I can operate on the frequencies at 5watts and just give out cheap Uniden FRS radio's I buy in the US. PMR446 tends to be full of learner motorbike riders and kids so its best to stay clear of that. 2M/70CM is full of old boys who feel the need to talk about how big their antenna is and how much money they have spent on there other equipment. I do like to operate on 4M and 10M but its a lot harder for me to give out a lot of radios.

the last time I looked up some FRS channels were used over here for the fire brigade (although even they must have gone digital by now?) and 4M and 10M equipment is quite easy to get hold of , however it's all a case of antenna size etc. anyhow the reason why I asked is because I am breaking down some modified PMR gear I've had. I sold my PA4DEN modified FM1100 however I still have a Tait 2010 on UHF which was being used as a simplex repeater on 446 , some Tait 3020's on UHF and a couple of kenwood 350's ex police all modded on 446 and some of those horrid HT600e's if your interested...

• 2 weeks later...