duel boot encrypted laptop

Darkmist!

ok. its late but i just had a brilliant idea.. lets say that you are doing bad things and you want to hide it. would it be possible to dual boot a computer using trucrypt's dual container file?

so lets say you have to decrypt your HDD. if you put in one password you would get one install. and if you put in another password you would get your other install. that way if you get caught you can start a reboot and if they order you to log in you can just show them the innocent looking side. and if the analized the HDD all they would get is gibberish.

its just a thought.. im going to try it when i get done with some finals

lemme know what you all think about it and if it would be possible. im thinking that you could just copy the files from one level of the encrypted drive to the next.

sorry about spelling mistakes and all that. im too tired to give a rats ass

The only way you could accomplish at the moment is by making the second OS installation a VM and running it in the operating system which is decrypted first.

But that leads to interesting ideas about virtualisation forensics.

Much better option in my mind is just to use something read-only to store the OS, that way nothing can be written to the disk like log etc. Then if you need to save or load anything, just hide it else where, maybe a dual encrypted partition or online.

Yes, this is the best way to do it. It does take some initial setting up and uses quite a bit of disk space. You can also do a Windows and Linux encrypted system.

Each system is encrypted seperately then you have a common home partition that is also encrypted, in fact this partition could contain a second encrypted truecrypt container to keep the most very sensitive data 3x protected. It's also less suspicious, You'll gladly boot the computer is needed but you won't divulge the existance of the protected data, this also means you can't have it auto-mount. If you don't want to keep remembering different passwords, use a keyfile that is encrypted also.

Here's a decent guide I found to get you started.

http://www.shappyhopper.co.uk/b2154/32bitlaptopguide.pdf

Yes, this is the best way to do it. It does take some initial setting up and uses quite a bit of disk space. You can also do a Windows and Linux encrypted system.

Each system is encrypted seperately then you have a common home partition that is also encrypted, in fact this partition could contain a second encrypted truecrypt container to keep the most very sensitive data 3x protected. It's also less suspicious, You'll gladly boot the computer is needed but you won't divulge the existance of the protected data, this also means you can't have it auto-mount. If you don't want to keep remembering different passwords, use a keyfile that is encrypted also.

Here's a decent guide I found to get you started.

http://www.shappyhopper.co.uk/b2154/32bitlaptopguide.pdf

and thank you as well

• 2 weeks later...

Why worry about two different encryptions? Get yourself a FDE drive and dont worry anymore. Courts have ruled that giving up your password is the same as self incrimination ONLY IF the government never saw a hint of the wrong doings on the drive. If they know shit is on there (from some proof), the password is treated like a key to an object they already know exists and you can be forced with jail time (contempt of court) for not giving it up.

Even with a drive using true crypt installed, a forensic reviewer might find enough unencrypted evidence for the courts to force you to give up the password. With a FDE encrypted drive even a noob cant fuck things up. EVERYTHING is encrypt properly. Just make sure you power off your FDE computer or unplug your maxtor blackarmor as the feds kick in your door.

I love true crypt, but even my lazy ass loves the added protection of an FDE setup.

Why worry about two different encryptions? Get yourself a FDE drive and dont worry anymore. Courts have ruled that giving up your password is the same as self incrimination ONLY IF the government never saw a hint of the wrong doings on the drive. If they know shit is on there (from some proof), the password is treated like a key to an object they already know exists and you can be forced with jail time (contempt of court) for not giving it up.

Even with a drive using true crypt installed, a forensic reviewer might find enough unencrypted evidence for the courts to force you to give up the password. With a FDE encrypted drive even a noob cant fuck things up. EVERYTHING is encrypt properly. Just make sure you power off your FDE computer or unplug your maxtor blackarmor as the feds kick in your door.

I love true crypt, but even my lazy ass loves the added protection of an FDE setup.

i guess what i was trying to put out is that it would look like you are giving up the goods when you actually are not

i am in the customer service field for computer repair and if you look like you are doing something you dont want to do then most people are happy, even if its exactly what you mean to do. i didn't know about that FDE drive, i will take a look at it and see what its about

thanks