Partitioning An Existing Drive

ACBobby

I would like to Partition my current C drive, running XP Pro, without losing any data.

I want to take about, eh, 15g or so and devote it to another drive in order to install Windows 7 Beta.

I also want to be able to install it without any booting problems when the Beta is over, should I remove the old operating system and want to join the partitions together again.

Any information would be useful!

--Bobby

Load up Gparted and resize your current partition to have 15GB of free space, or whatever you like, format the free space to NTFS, and install Windows 7. The W7 boot loader should pick up XP, if not, check this out: http://www.ditii.com/2009/01/28/how-to-mod...-7-boot-loader/

You can use a Windows PE boot disk/usb stick to run a Microsoft tool called diskpart which allows you to shrink your partitions: http://www.mydigitallife.info/2007/09/26/u...00-2003-and-xp/

As for Windows 7, it requires 2 partitions to install, a 200MB hidden one at the start of the disk and the normal one. There have been issues with Windows 7 sharing drives with other systems because of this, and I couldn't recommend that you attempt to dual boot the beta on a production/main system without backing things up first.

Windows 7 doesn't require two partitions if you've created a partition and selected it for installation. Otherwise, it does so so that the user can use bitlocker drive encryption later without having to meet any requirements prior to setup. Diskpart can be used as well for shrinking the partition if you'd prefer this method, but you can easily accomplish the task using the gui tools during Windows 7 installation.

Windows 7 doesn't require two partitions if you've created a partition and selected it for installation. Otherwise, it does so so that the user can use bitlocker drive encryption later without having to meet any requirements prior to setup. Diskpart can be used as well for shrinking the partition if you'd prefer this method, but you can easily accomplish the task using the gui tools during Windows 7 installation.

It may not require this, but on several occasions I have had the installer crap out on me for this reason.

I havent had it crap out on me, but I guess thats because I did all my partitioning in Vista prior to installing W7. If you think its gonna crash on you than stick to diskpart, but if you want to use diskpart there's also no need to burn a seperate disc in order to use it. If you go to "Repair my computer" and get a command prompt from the recovery options menu, you can also use it from your Windows 7 DVD.