calling all ccna/ccnp/ccie's available on the site.. I need help

h3%5kr3w

I'm in CCNA2 and would like to persue of course my ccna, but I want to work progressively toward the ccie, and I would love to buy a cisco router (to start) I have experience on one, but only @ school, and I want one at home that I can constantly tinker around with IOS. I have packet tracer, but thats only good to an extent, and most intermediate/advanced features of IOS are either buggy, or missing from packet tracer (and I have v.5.1)

I have found what look like awesome deals online for cisco routers, but I have no idea what are good sources. Basicly I know I could find one for really cheap on ebay, but I dont want to get screwed, and to be specific I am looking for one within the 2000 series, it doesnt have to have a wic2t or any expansion cards already in it (hell it doesnt even have to have IOS on it... I know there are ways...) Just a 2000 series or equivalent with 10/100 support, and 2 expansion slots *and of course with a console port*. I can make my own rollover cable easily so that's not a problem. Would Like to have an aux port just for tinkering with, but that's optional. I dont care if it's scuffed or kicked to high hell as long as it works well.

The expansion cards, I can just find a cheap source and if it doenst work, then no big deal. I can find serial cables for uber cheap all over the place so no big deal on that either.

Thank you all for ANY help given.

I'm in CCNA2 and would like to persue of course my ccna, but I want to work progressively toward the ccie, and I would love to buy a cisco router (to start) I have experience on one, but only @ school, and I want one at home that I can constantly tinker around with IOS. I have packet tracer, but thats only good to an extent, and most intermediate/advanced features of IOS are either buggy, or missing from packet tracer (and I have v.5.1)

I have found what look like awesome deals online for cisco routers, but I have no idea what are good sources. Basicly I know I could find one for really cheap on ebay, but I dont want to get screwed, and to be specific I am looking for one within the 2000 series, it doesnt have to have a wic2t or any expansion cards already in it (hell it doesnt even have to have IOS on it... I know there are ways...) Just a 2000 series or equivalent with 10/100 support, and 2 expansion slots *and of course with a console port*. I can make my own rollover cable easily so that's not a problem. Would Like to have an aux port just for tinkering with, but that's optional. I dont care if it's scuffed or kicked to high hell as long as it works well.

The expansion cards, I can just find a cheap source and if it doenst work, then no big deal. I can find serial cables for uber cheap all over the place so no big deal on that either.

Thank you all for ANY help given.

I work for a hardware reseller and do the cisco gear here. If you want to post what you are looking at, I'll give you my opinions.

By 2000 series, I assume you mean 2600 series. If you want to get really cheap routers, look at the 2500 series. They are pretty much only useful for labs. 2600s are end of life, so most businesses are dumping them, you could find good deals on those. You'll have better luck if you know the model numbers. You want a 2621, part num CISCO2621

I work for a hardware reseller and do the cisco gear here. If you want to post what you are looking at, I'll give you my opinions.

By 2000 series, I assume you mean 2600 series. If you want to get really cheap routers, look at the 2500 series. They are pretty much only useful for labs. 2600s are end of life, so most businesses are dumping them, you could find good deals on those. You'll have better luck if you know the model numbers. You want a 2621, part num CISCO2621

I wouldn't go with anything less than 2600. The advice that was given is good. Good luck in your learning.

Hello h3%5kr3w,

I'm at the moment studying for CCNP:BSCI and know the issue that Packet tracer isn't an option to play at home with, because it doensn't know al the commands you need.

Therefore I use GNS3 you can get it at http://www.gns3.net/. It's a freeware tool ;) The only thing you need is an CISCO IOS. But that shoudn't be a problem <_<

You can get the Cisco IOS by searching around on the web or tftp/ftp it from the school router. To setup your laptop as an tftp server you could use for example "pumpkin".

The nice thing about GNS3 is the fact that you are using a real IOS so you can use al the commands that are known by that IOS version.

Greetings!

Igniter

Awesome Igniter! Thank you very much. I have been looking for something like this. I found one thing, but it was some old hacked up abandonware app that was pretty much useless.

However I definitely do want to still have a physical router, because as I work more toward my ccie, I want to be able to start scaling and routing with advanced features with multiple networks (sooner or later leading to a rack system).

here is what I would like to buy: 2610

I would really love to buy an 1841, but I know that would'nt be feasable for me until I actually get a job in the IT field making @ least $14 an hour (got bills to pay man..)

I also found smart switches for UBER cheap but not sure if I really need one yet or not.

The 2621's I looked @ and it's pretty much what I want, but it's hard to find one for under $90. I know that is silly to think about when it comes to these but I am basicly balling with no budget hardly at all.

Awesome Igniter! Thank you very much. I have been looking for something like this. I found one thing, but it was some old hacked up abandonware app that was pretty much useless.

However I definitely do want to still have a physical router, because as I work more toward my ccie, I want to be able to start scaling and routing with advanced features with multiple networks (sooner or later leading to a rack system).

You're welcome ;)

A own rack at home, sounds awsome :P

Good luck with your studies ;)

Greetings!

Igniter

here is what I would like to buy: 2610

I would really love to buy an 1841, but I know that would'nt be feasable for me until I actually get a job in the IT field making @ least $14 an hour (got bills to pay man..)

I also found smart switches for UBER cheap but not sure if I really need one yet or not.

The 2621's I looked @ and it's pretty much what I want, but it's hard to find one for under $90. I know that is silly to think about when it comes to these but I am basicly balling with no budget hardly at all.

There are some tidbits to think about when buying the equipment. In the switches, don't buy the 1900 line, they're too old. They don't do dot1q trunking, only ISL. Get the best switch you can, the higher models support more features. The 3550 line is the lowest layer 3 swtich you can get, learn layer 3 switching! Get a router with a "fastethernet" port, the regular ethernet ports don't do trunking either. Fastethernet = 10/100, ethernet = 10. Find a source for IOS files. Get the enterprise version for whatever router you get. You'll need to do BGP and crypto stuff in your labs, base IOS won't have all the features. Use the WIC-1T cards for your serial connections, they're a fraction of the WIC-2T cards, cables are also cheaper. Make an account on Cisco's site, it's free and you can download more stuff. There is a WAN sim live distro on there that makes a PC with 2 NICs act like the internet. You set the latency and packet loss and then can simulate networks.

Try everything with the CLI first, they are pushing their SDM and web gui now, but you should know how to do it all on CLI first. The CCNA test will be on CLI, not web gui wizards that walk you through everything.

I appreciate your knowledge (and anymore I can get is better!) I'm doing pretty well with my studies so far. I'm only in CCNA2 at this point, so of course I wont get into switching and v-lans, etc till I think part 3? I heard about the gui, and checked out some screen shots of it. Looks pretty sweet, but I know they have not encorporated it into the curriculum yet.

I have read in a lot of places where you can use po-dunk routers for alot of it, just to buy 1 up to date router and 1 up to date switch for the advanced stuff, but would this be too good to be true?

As far as IOS, all I can tell you is if it's out there at the moment, then I have it. That's all I'm gonna say about that (as forest gump would say)

On ciscokits.com, they give a listing as to what you need for doing all the labs as per a chart, (seen here) with specs per router for IPv6, SDM, and max IOS ver. and summaries of switch features (which is awesome to me).

I'm just itching to buy a router so I can tinker :D

Also one other thing, if I did go buy a 2501 Maxed out for IPv6 (16mb flash, 16mb ram), is it possible to buy the db60 to smart serial cable without the db60 end being a dte? reason being is because I cant seem to find one that uses the db60 end for the dce, and I know I could just buy a db60 wic card for cheap but it would just seem ass backwards to me (this is if I bought a 2501 and a 2510 or higher with smart serial)

I appreciate your knowledge (and anymore I can get is better!) I'm doing pretty well with my studies so far. I'm only in CCNA2 at this point, so of course I wont get into switching and v-lans, etc till I think part 3? I heard about the gui, and checked out some screen shots of it. Looks pretty sweet, but I know they have not encorporated it into the curriculum yet.

I have read in a lot of places where you can use po-dunk routers for alot of it, just to buy 1 up to date router and 1 up to date switch for the advanced stuff, but would this be too good to be true?

As far as IOS, all I can tell you is if it's out there at the moment, then I have it. That's all I'm gonna say about that (as forest gump would say)

On ciscokits.com, they give a listing as to what you need for doing all the labs as per a chart, (seen here) with specs per router for IPv6, SDM, and max IOS ver. and summaries of switch features (which is awesome to me).

I'm just itching to buy a router so I can tinker :D

Also one other thing, if I did go buy a 2501 Maxed out for IPv6 (16mb flash, 16mb ram), is it possible to buy the db60 to smart serial cable without the db60 end being a dte? reason being is because I cant seem to find one that uses the db60 end for the dce, and I know I could just buy a db60 wic card for cheap but it would just seem ass backwards to me (this is if I bought a 2501 and a 2510 or higher with smart serial)

I think you could get a 2600 for cheap or even a 1710 ro 172x. I have a 2612 (token!!) and a 1721 that I got for maybe $40 total, WIC cards included. Then I got some switches that have a bad port. 1 bad port on a 24 or 48 port switch means it's garbage to a reseller. It's gold to people like us! You need to find a used reseller and see what they can get you. You would be surprised what goes out on the scrape pile. 3640s, 1721s, WS-C3524s, etc. The 2500 series stuff is worthless, so it will go out at pennies.

I won't name names (shameless plugs), but there are tons of places like this with this equipment being tossed in the garbage.