Need a windows 2003 server boffin

wetelectric

I know nothing about Windows admin, so I need a little bit of help on this.

Imagine a network if you will, with windows 2003 small business server as the domain controller, exchange and DHCP box to a number of windows clients.

Everything works fine (honest), but when another device such as a wireless router is plugged in to the network, Windows 2003 server switches off it's DHCP server and defers to said device.

Is there anyway to stop this mental behaviour, I mean feature? i.e keep the main server as the main DHCP server.

Cheers guys

I know nothing about Windows admin, so I need a little bit of help on this.

Imagine a network if you will, with windows 2003 small business server as the domain controller, exchange and DHCP box to a number of windows clients.

Everything works fine (honest), but when another device such as a wireless router is plugged in to the network, Windows 2003 server switches off it's DHCP server and defers to said device.

Is there anyway to stop this mental behaviour, I mean feature? i.e keep the main server as the main DHCP server.

Cheers guys

That is a ridiculous feature.

You need to set your Master Browser to true (HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Browser\Parameters; IsDomainMaster should be set to true). Also, how is the router connected to the server? You could try unbinding the DHCP service from NIC which connects to the router.

Really looking to fix the problem of win 2003 giving up the dhcp role. Turning of dhcp on each device (that you know of!) that happens to connect to your network is not a good plan :)

I will look into the Master Browser reg fix thing. Thanks VaKo.

I'll suggest it to our windows dude.

Good to see, people progress from tinkers to professionals on here :)

umm... what I would do is assign the router a static IP on the wan side, and set the other side on a different subnet, OR what I would really do is just not use a router, just a smart switch. OR I would just turn off DHCP on the router. That would probably be a good thing.