How do school networks work?

Employee

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you were able to install applications on these systems, they obviously are not good admins. Setting up permissions and implementing Group Policy with Active Directory isn't that hard to do. If you were able to install something on the HDD, then just think of the havoc that could be wreaked by someone with more knowledge.

When I was in high school, the admin wasn't very smart either, but she was smart enough to explicitly deny write access to all workstations C: drives through NTFS permissions. To get around this, I simply installed programs to my Home Directory, until I eventually filled my quota, of course. The best part about this was that I could use my programs on any computer on the network, and I didn't have to worry about getting in trouble.

I would say tell the admins in an anonymous email.

I would say tell the admins in an anonymous email.

Thats what ive told him i think 3-4 times.... He still thinks that he is going to get caught.

As a school admin, If I got an anonymous e-mail telling me about a vulnerability on one of my networks, I would be thankful and not try to trace who sent the e-mail. Provided the e-mail was polite, of course.

If I did know who who sent the e-mail, I would only approach them to say thank you and ask them if they new of any other vulnerabilities.

Sometimes it can take the mind of a kid to get past security. Without much prior knowledge, they'll sometimes try things that those with superior knowlede would not.

thats how the sys admin at my school felt about me... except i would approach him and tell him... he also knows that i have prior knowledge of the school disticts computer network as I worked with the sys admin at my jr. High.

You do not know how strick my school is... they are instaling video camras over the summer. If you were a admin at my school I'm sure you would be fine with it but my admins are horrible. They have even started put the program Netsupport on our computers.

strict.... dude we have over 100 cameras at my school quit freaking complaining. YOu put one icon that wasnt originaly on the computer desktops, you get a detention . and they record our computer screens from the second we login.