How do school networks work?

Employee

Yes to the Second point, and its not just about my school its more about my ethics. Would it be right for me to give your debit card and pin number to a random person? It wouldn't affect me but I still would be doing something wrong.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not done having fun with it yet.

But surely you are putting systems at risk at your school and every other school that uses this software if a more malicious person were to discover it? Your not allowing this vulnerability to be patched for your own personal amusement could put other students' school work at risk, therefore surely you should report it? It's a matter of ethics, don't you know?

I'm not doing anything evil with it. I'm just using it so I can do things like use my snes emulator, and go on firefox.

But in allowing the hole to remain unpatched someone else might do something evil.

i totaly agree with you Horza... hes talking about it falling into the wrong hands, when he doesnt want to stand up and say that the school network has a vulnerability and have it patched so grades, finanical information, contact information wont get compromised, when he is obviously using it for his own purposes. and what if he was using that to install something, and a virus came along with it, and then you have every computer in the district compromised now because he didnt want to tell them that they had a problem.

you can email the schools sys admin.. they still do stuff over the summer... and then the summer school students are using the computers over the summer.. and that vulnerability is still open for them to find and exploit.

I'm not doing anything evil with it. I'm just using it so I can do things like use my snes emulator, and go on firefox.

Good for you. I truely hope they catch you soon, since I agree with others here. This concept has gotten to the wrong hands already.

...and its not just about my school its more about my ethics

If you call this ethical, then fine so be it.

Ethical in this case would be to notify the system admins of this issue immediately.

that's all I have to say.

Manuel

Straight from a school sys admins keyboard! (am i correct) The sys admin at my school knows i look for bugs in their system, and the second i find one i report it to the sys admin and he thanks me. I dont get in trouble... well i havent done any thing that would break the rules in the student hand book.

EDIT: Quit worring about your ass and start worring about the consequences of the vulnerability unpatched.. If you got in jsut think about how easy it would be for an experienced hacker to get in and so some real damage to the schools network. Like i said before, they keep financial recordon the computers. and the school could get screwed over if you dont step up and report it.

Straight from a school sys admins keyboard! (am i correct) The sys admin at my school knows i look for bugs in their system, and the second i find one i report it to the sys admin and he thanks me. I dont get in trouble... well i havent done any thing that would break the rules in the student hand book.

Yep, If it were my school, I'd kick you off of the systems if I discovered you were trying it for a period of time, regardless if you told anyone or not ( we require disclosure as per the Acceptable Use Policy).

Now, if a student were to notify me of an issue immediately explaining everything he/she did, step by step, we would embrace that student's knowledge and possibly offer him/her a part time job.

Hell, that's how I got started. My Senior year a few friends and I discovered some problems with the sys admins thinking. We had an intelligent conversation with the admin and explained what we noticed and offered to help patch the systems with his supervision. I am sure he wasn't sure of us, but because we approached him with inteligence he gave us the chance to show him and eventually gained his trust.

By the end of the school year I had enough trust that I knew system admin passwords (not cracked, but earned) and have been working here since.

( Yeah I know I said "that's all I have to say..." but I can't STFU so :p )

I explain to him step by step.... Ive gotten recongnition from the district superintendent and the district system administrator for helping them with their systems. My schools sys admin and I have intellegent conversations about the computer and he wants me to be his aide next year. I dont do any thing that violates the rules... I give him a list of proxies that I have dug up from students.