Server2003, DNS and AD

digip

I just installed server 2003, set up my DNS, and then Active Directory. I added a user from an XP machine and have everything set up to log on to the domain, pointing to server2003 as the DNS and domian to logon to. Everything is working, I can RDP from the server to the desktop, I can get online with both machines, etc, but one thing I noticed is that the XP machine can ping the server and itself with replies, but the server gets a timeout when trying to ping the XP machine. Tracert gets the same timeout, yet I can RDP into it just fine so long as I know its IP address. Its PTR record is there in DNS with the correct IP as well for reverse lookup of both machines, yet the Server2003 machine can not ping or get a reply from the XP machine.

Anyone know if this is normal for a domain setup or what I can change to get the replies? I never seen something like this before. I'm wondering what I could be doing on the XP machine to block this?

What is the DC/DNS using as its own DNS server?

Its pointed to itself for DNS, but I have a forwarder set for OpenDNS so machines connected to it can get online. So, do you think its trying to use the forwarder for pinging the local network? That doesn't make sense to me.

When I try to ping the netbios name, it shows me the IP address of the XP machine, but it times out. I cna ping the IP addrss itself with the same results. Going from the XP machine to the netbios of the server2003 machine works, and so does the LAN ip address.

I'm wondering of it s the XP machines firewall or default group policies reject pings? This is the first time using active directory, so I'm trying to learn about it for a new position at work. I can't afford to take a class for any MCSE or such certs, so I am teaching myself at home.

I'll take a look at that link in a sec, but for now I fixed it manually. ping replies are working as they should. It was a firewall issue on the XP machine. I wasn't aware that they were disabled by default.

Doing it through group policy would have been better if I had read that first, but what I did was RDP in as admin and then change the firewall settings manually for that machine. In the future, I'll look into the group policy way configuring the firewall for connected users and machines, as it makes more sense to do it that way. Thanks for the link VaKo.

are you pinging the host name of the IP. The server 2003 DNS is what resolves the hostname into an IP. You may need to make an entry for the host name to resolve to an IP. I had to do this on my 2003 server install. Not sure if this is the ideal way to resolve this issue.

are you pinging the host name of the IP. The server 2003 DNS is what resolves the hostname into an IP. You may need to make an entry for the host name to resolve to an IP. I had to do this on my 2003 server install. Not sure if this is the ideal way to resolve this issue.

It resolved everythign fine, it wa sjust timing out from both the IP address and when I used the netbios and full dns name. I got it working though, as it was blocking the responses in the XP machines firewall settings.