Back Track 4!

L1qu1D

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Every other recent release distro recognises it out of the box

Then its just a matter of installing the right drivers. Still, that doesn't mean the card can do monitor mode or injection. Maybe those other distros are just using the ndis wrapper, which only lets you surf with out the full function of all the tools in BT.

If its for Swathe's Dell 1525 laptop it would be one of the following wireless NIC's but more than likely the first one.

Intel Pro/Wireless 3945 802.11 a/b/g Mini Card Wireless

Intel Pro/Wireless Next-Gen Wireless-N 802.11 a/g/n Mini Card Wireless

Standard laptop wireless cards are pretty useless for packet injection (except asus eee 701), hence why I wanted an expansion slot on the new one and thankfully the 1525 has one.

Standard laptop wireless cards are pretty useless for packet injection (except asus eee 701), hence why I wanted an expansion slot on the new one and thankfully the 1525 has one.

You could just get a USB one there cheaper and still work.

If its for Swathe's Dell 1525 laptop it would be one of the following wireless NIC's but more than likely the first one.

Intel Pro/Wireless 3945 802.11 a/b/g Mini Card Wireless

Intel Pro/Wireless Next-Gen Wireless-N 802.11 a/g/n Mini Card Wireless

If it is one of them, he needs the driver:

Mini PCIe (Built in)

Gigabit Atheros card works, but you have to use 'airmon-ng start wifi0' to set it into monitor mode.

Broadcom 4311-based Dell Wireless 1390 adapter is detected and works as mentioned below. Monitor mode works but packet injection doesn't seem to be working.

Broadcom BCM4311 802.11b/g

Driver : bcm43xx

Driver : bcmwl5.sys

Notebook HP nx6315

Notebook HP nx7400

Notebook Dell Inspiron 1501

Notebook Dell Inspiron 1505\6400

Notebook Dell Latitude d820

I have the BCM4311 in my laptop so not sure if that was for an older driver issue or not, but mine seems to work fine in BT3.

or

IPW3945

Driver : IPW3945

Special Notes : Enable the drivers via KDE menu or cd /usr/src/drivers/ipw3945-1.2.0/ && ./load

Special Notes : Enters monitor mode, but cannot inject

Special Notes : You may need to start the image with "bt irqpoll" Good way to tell: you see what looks like function call backtraces on startup and the suggestion to run "bt irqpoll" scrolls by pretty fast. Check your dmesg for more details if it scrolls too fast for you.

IPWRAW (IPW3945 Monitor + Inject)

Driver : IPWRAW, A guide can be found [here]

Or an easy to use lzm module can be found here [here]

Note : This driver is not included in Backtrack2 by default.

Special Notes : Locked in monitor mode and can be used in all aireplay-ng attacks.

For Kismet, edit your Kismet.conf to "source=ipw3945,wifi0,Intel"

Notice: After starting airodump-ng only run one command at a time. If you do not your system may hang or freeze.

Driver links on the BT HCL: http://backtrack.offensive-security.com/in...ireless#IPW3945

Yeah thats True about the USB wifi products however I would also like the option of jacking in a bigger antenna. But for most people its a good solution.

Thanks Digip, I will be having the same issue as swathe just as soon as the laptop is couriered some time this week.

Yeah thats True about the USB wifi products however I would also like the option of jacking in a bigger antenna. But for most people its a good solution.

Thanks Digip, I will be having the same issue as swathe just as soon as the laptop is couriered some time this week.

You can get USB ones with antenna jacks. I have one. There more common then express cards because the express cards are often a lot more expensive.

So the 1390 works out of the box with bt4? Got a 1525 w/ 1390 myself.

I haven't tried BT4 with my laptop yet, so I can't confirm this. I can't imagine they would remove it from their driver base though.

Does bt3 supports it? Got bt3 and I've never been able to view APs from the live disc anyway (Does it haft to be hard drive installed?)

BEst way to run it is either a Live disc or USB bootable thumb drive. Using a thumb drive gives you the option to keep changes made and install newer drivers for your wifi cards, as well as save logs, captured packets, etc. You can use unetbootin to make a USB key fairly quick and painless. http://lubi.sourceforge.net/unetbootin.html

I got bt3 on usb. From what i've seen you haft to set it up manually. In other words, its not automatic, but if bt4 is that would be great.

I have my own BT3 + Windows XP Dual booting USB key, but from what people have told me, Unetbootin makes it much easier by just pointing to the ISO and the thumb drive you want to install it on and it does the rest. Haven't used Unetbootin myself though...

When i say install I meant the appropriate madwifi or heck, normal drivers for the 1390 wireless card out of the box without manual configuration, not in regard to installing bt. And yes unetbootin makes it pretty straightforward to install bt to usb, except when you want to use grub instead and have it dual-booting on a flash drive with helix/pe. That was quite a project in itself.

I tried BT4 with my Aspire One (which has a Dell 1390 card in it now) and it does not autodetect the card.

DT3 worked with the standard atheros card but I've not yet tried BT3 with the replacement 1390. I expect it's possible to activate the driver for it but I've not got it working yet, so no; out of the box = no 1390.

Eh, I ran it up as a test on an IBM Thinkpad 600, with a Linksys WPC54G.

It required ndiswrapper of course, which I keep on a thumbdrive with the drivers I need, so it wasn't really much.

Just the time to install ndiswrapper is annoying. 5-7 minute process.