Firewalls For Server 2003.

ZeR0BuG

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

technically you can. You're just afraid about the support issue. All you need to worry about is getting on their network. Most ISP's won't nor can't support hardware they don't issue. So in reality, if you're comfortable with the fact that your ISP will "support" a windows 20003 server install as your gateway -- good luck. But in reality, when, and using windows as a gateway you probably will get an issue -- let us know how far your ISP will help you troubleshoot that.

technically you can. You're just afraid about the support issue. All you need to worry about is getting on their network. Most ISP's won't nor can't support hardware they don't issue. So in reality, if you're comfortable with the fact that your ISP will "support" a windows 20003 server install as your gateway -- good luck. But in reality, when, and using windows as a gateway you probably will get an issue -- let us know how far your ISP will help you troubleshoot that.

In no way in hell am i afraid of support issue..... Its the fact that any router I connect to my cable modem to my router will not get an ip address from the cable modem the farthest I could get it is to 192.168.100.1 which is the cable modems IP not the external... and the farthest that charter will take is is Unplug your Cable Modem and Router for 5 minutes. Then plug the cable modem back in and let it power up all of the way and then plug in the power to the rotuer. And I know that using windows as a gate way I will prolly get an issue... Because I have... I have MANY issues with windows as a gate way.. I just dont have a computer to put behind it to use as a firewall.

Here is the thing with Charter bug. The software that the use determines how many "machines" can connect from behind the modem. They most likely have you set to one. Now, the Charter routers were notorious for not clearing the hosts. I bet you that when they outsourced the support they took away their access to your local routers so they have no ability to clear the host anymore.

The only way you have to clear it anymore is to unplug everything and wait for it to "drop off" the network. At that time (a time you can't be sure of now) you can turn on your mode first. You have to wait for it to negotiate it's connection (another thing that you can't be sure of) before you can turn on any machine/router/gateway ect and get a reliable connection.

This leads me back to what I told you before, the Charter network in your area sucks the sweat from a dead man's balls. It is hit or miss 99% of the time as to if it will work properly or not. Trust me when I say cut your losses and kick them to the curb. Even if that means going to DSL.

Well i think its the cable modem(s)... because If i change which computer is connected to the cable modem... it doesnt give that new computer an IP.. I have to call charter and have them take the modem off my account and then re add it so i can get a new IP... and I tryed that with router connected... and it didnt work

I would really consider putting another device in front of your machine. Pick up a cheap sonicwall off ebay or something. Also, how exactly does the ISP know that you are running Linux as a gateway? Have you tried, or did they just tell you that? It seems like they would have to be running constant fingerprinting to check your OS in order to determine what system you are using as a gateway... that seems like a waste of effort on their end...

To Harrison: Were you got the idea that a SonicWall was cheap is beyond me.

My suggestion to the poor fellow is get IPCop put it on that crap Windows2003 box and use it not only as a Gateway, but a Wireless AP, a VPN server, and an IDS/IPS with automatic Snort sig updates. Oh, and did I mention you could put nmap on it? Possibilitiies are endless and it's a snap to install.

Edit: I posted this before I read every other post. I am pretty sure that you ISP is not blocking Linux, they just don't support it as an OS for connection problems. Try putting IPCop on your Win2k3 box and taking your modem's power supply out. Wait 3 minutes (most ISPs have a 180 second timeout) then plug it back in and to your new IPCop install and then turn on you IPCop machine. If that still doesn't work, keep the IPCop install and repost here. I promise that either myself or one of the other great minds here can help you to get this to work. Try joining the IRC channel, it probably would provide you faster answers than board posts.

For the rest of you. I think we should create a Hak.5 Technical FAQ. We see these sort of questions all the time. It would be nice to just refer them to the Technical FAQ, question #13.

I bitched out my ISP and they are comming out to check it.... they are saying i have a "signal Issue".

Ahhh the signal issue. It is very probable that you do have one, like I said, Charter's infrastructure there is ass. However; I would venture to say that in no way is that going to keep your Linux machine from connecting when a Windows box will. I still think that they just need to clear the host and you will be good to go.

For the rest of you. I think we should create a Hak.5 Technical FAQ. We see these sort of questions all the time. It would be nice to just refer them to the Technical FAQ, question #13.

Well there is a wiki, but no one seems to put anything on that.

the modem, when hooked to a new device.. doesnt give the new device an IP... the modem has to be deleted from my account.. and added back to my account...

that sounds wierd? have you tryed to release the ip with the old device and then renew the ip on the new device. Mac-lock is a bitch!

I got ipcop installed... so its working now... what i had to do.. was go into knoppix and add a nother cable modem.. and then open up firefox.. and then fill in the UPDATE CABLE MODEM Page... and then let it finish re adding and prevision my modem and then i had to reboot... and it started working...

I was there and the infrastructure was shit.
Not only is the infastructure is shit, but also their tech support.. its no longer 24/7 tech support while they advertise. I called them and asked them to do what I did because its alot quicker.... and they were like you have to call back during buisness hours.. In a snobby tone of voice... and they refuse to help you.. they can only schedule service calls which is Very Very Gay!

I got ipcop installed... so its working now... what i had to do.. was go into knoppix and add a nother cable modem.. and then open up firefox.. and then fill in the UPDATE CABLE MODEM Page... and then let it finish re adding and prevision my modem and then i had to reboot... and it started working...

Awesome, I'm glad to hear that you got it working. I am curious to hear what the Charter peeps say when they come out today. I bet it goes something along the lines of we don't support that and/or all your levels are fine here if you have the problem again call tech support.

Hit the eject button on them bug, Charter is teh suck!

they wernt able too because we are all under water right now.. the city of houston is under water practically... and they cant come out. My dads work is like floooded... all the highways are like under water, so there is no way for them to get down here.. the streets have like 4 feet of water ont hem and crap. Soo... atleast its working.. Although I lost cable to today because of the highwater..... Its been working pretty well... but im still going to make them come out, im also curious to what they are going to say about the lines and the signal and also my windows server 2003 systems... lol

they wernt able too because we are all under water right now.. the city of houston is under water practically... and they cant come out. My dads work is like floooded... all the highways are like under water, so there is no way for them to get down here.. the streets have like 4 feet of water ont hem and crap. Soo... atleast its working.. Although I lost cable to today because of the highwater..... Its been working pretty well... but im still going to make them come out, im also curious to what they are going to say about the lines and the signal and also my windows server 2003 systems... lol

Reminds me of a time I was working a tech support line and this guy just posted to Iraq calls to find out why his broadband doesn't work. Took ages to explain to him that british telecom doesn't supply ADSL to war zones on the far side of the planet.