Your WarDriving Kit

psydT0ne

Hey, I understand there's been a few threads on what you keep in your Hacker BackPacks and such.

I still do a bit of wardriving and I'm interested to see firstly how many people out there readily participate in wardriving and the type of kit you use.

Specifically, the equipment details ie:

1. Make of Laptop or PDA, whether you use a in car power adapter or inverter to power the thing

2. Type of wireless card, chipset, type of antenna you use (make, brand, power rating etc).

3. Your tools regardless of OS, netstumbler, kismet, air crack etc etc

4. Gps if you use one, if so make brand etc

5. Do you record details of sites you come across and what do you do when you find them, (i'm not interested in your leet haxor skills, just simply "exploit" or "notify owner" or yknow....whatever you do

I like wardriving and I'm just really interested in the gear and setups and fun that people have.

Hope you can help me out :)

1. Lenovo 3000 C100 -Laptop

2. Broadcom built-in wireless, or Buffalo WLI-CB-G54S PCMciacard with 5+DBI gain annetta, or a D-link G-122 Rev b1

3. netstumber,Kismet. lately Kismet as GPS nowwork's under Linux ( BT3 )

4. Some Green box type GPS I got from ebay.

5. Yes I map myWardrive.

Edit also Hp Ipaq 1950.

I take a slightly different approach. As a little background, i used to work for mp3car.com. specialized in "car computing"

My set-up at the time was as follows:

Mac mini - bootcamped with xp pro

powered by a p2140 and macpac power kit

for my viewing pleasure I fabbed a 7in touch screen into my dash.

Now most other people in the hobby usually tether their phone to the computer for internet, or use a 3g solution, but since i was lazy, if i ever needed internet i would drive around until i found a strong unsecured signal. Using the car "front-end" software you can see all visible hotspots. If you find a good one, you can use the gps program and map the location as a favorite.

Now I have moved this in a new direction. In the baltimore DC area, wimax is now available. I was thinking of reverse wardriving. Using my wimax connection and my Jasager hacked fon, supply the surrounding area with fast internet and maybe see whats going on in the middle. B)

This is super easy to integrate into the car. If I am not mistaken the fon uses +5v, and wimax can use an express card or the home modem (12v). The nice thing about the home modem is that you can hook an external antenna up to it.

Well I have a Dell X300 and I'm running a 500mW Alfa usb card which uses a RTL8187 and I've got a 8dBi omini hooked to that and a Ubiquiti 600mW internal card which is Atheros based. I'm using a GlobalSat BU-353 SiRF Star III USB GPS all of which is being used by Kismet-Newcore. I also have a modded Comm-On-Air card with the Kismet plug-in.

SparkLAN miniPCI Express WPEA-124N atheros

ubiquiti srx300

ubiquiti sr-71 usb

Comet Mobile N-Female Magnet Antenna Mount MG-4N

Mobile COMET 7.4dBi gain 2.4GHz SF-245SPR

dell xps m1330

hp mini note 2133

my panasonic Touch-Panel Monitor Model CQ-VW100U in dash monitor for gps/and or entertainment.

HTC touch HD cell phone

2x Gsat bluetooth gps receivers

1 ram laptop mount (sometimes)

wifi hopper

kismet

netstumber

wifi fo fum (on my cell)

xirrrus wi-fi scanner are a couple of the apps i use.

I also have a wigle.net group groupname #420 and my nick on there is Dr_Dropper if anyone is interested in joining. but i only want regular wardrivers to join and contribute, most of the lamos that are in my group havent contributes shizznit.

I would like to do it with a gps system though....more shit i want but can't afford sigh

you can find ridiculously cheap gps receivers online shit you might be able to find some local people on craigslist getting rid of them. also dont forget, you might have a gps enabled cell phone laying around or know someone that does. you could use one of them as a gps receiver for your computer or if its a windows mobile phone you could use mini stumbler or my fav wifi fo fum.

I built this tool Super Snooper which is a box that sits on my dash and logs wifi points as I drive around. Looks a bit steampunk but it works.

I can specifiy open or closed points if I need. It will log the access point name, MAC Address, Signal strength, logitude and latitude as well as security type to a SD card on the fly.

My original idea was for Skyhook but they use PDA's with wifi and with mobiles coming out with GPS in them I think wifi postioning is dead.

Perhaps I will do a segment on how to make one lol.

For the hardware freaks.....

GPS - EM-406A

SD card controller - Microdrive

Controller - Picaxe 28x1 (program in BASIC)

WIFI - Lantronix WiPort

I built this tool Super Snooper which is a box that sits on my dash and logs wifi points as I drive around. Looks a bit steampunk but it works.

I can specifiy open or closed points if I need. It will log the access point name, MAC Address, Signal strength, logitude and latitude as well as security type to a SD card on the fly.

My original idea was for Skyhook but they use PDA's with wifi and with mobiles coming out with GPS in them I think wifi postioning is dead.

Perhaps I will do a segment on how to make one lol.

For the hardware freaks.....

GPS - EM-406A

SD card controller - Microdrive

Controller - Picaxe 28x1 (program in BASIC)

WIFI - Lantronix WiPort

Wow.... that's freaking cool!

I think that should make its way to the show.

Nice!

Im using an: Acer Aspire One, using the built in Atheros chipset, only using netStublet, connected to my Nokia 6110 for GPS access, then we mark them on a map of our town, indecating the strengh of the encryption.

Most of the time im slugging it out on my Shogun Road Bike (cycle, not motor), though ive been known to double check a few spots via car.

I don't war drive (ride) to steal internet connections, or to hack peoples networks, but more of a way to keep fitness entertaining.

Wow.... that's freaking cool!

I think that should make its way to the show.

Nice!

It would be multiple shows! There was so much in that project GPS, WIFI, RS232 in buckets not to mention uSD.

Ypu could sell them easily, how much?

Not too cheap unfortunatly, adding the hardware up you wouldn't get much change out of US$200.

Intresting Theard:

I use:

HP Compaq NX6125

Built in wifi

Software: Windows XP (SP2) & Net Stumbler

GPS:

Nokia N95

I run ExtGPS (http://www.symarctic.com/beta/static.php?page=extgps_download)

This is a piece of software that takes the GPS and bluetooth's it to my laptop (again built in BT).

<UPDATE>

I normally run my laptop on it's battery as I only ever go out for about an hour. But if I do go out for longer I do own / take out a car inverter with me to plug into the cig lighter

</UPDATE>

What do I do with my results.

Make maps.

http://itspj.com/wifi/whole-downend.html

I started war driving to map the wireless points between me and a friend as we are trying to setup a long distance wifi between our houses, and thought if our antennas weren't strong enough, we could "piggy back" on somebody elses wifi in the middle of us, just so we could have a connection to talk to each other over LAN if either or both our ISPs went down.

Intresting Theard:

I use:

HP Compaq NX6125

Built in wifi

Software: Windows XP (SP2) & Net Stumbler

GPS:

Nokia N95

I run ExtGPS (http://www.symarctic.com/beta/static.php?page=extgps_download)

This is a piece of software that takes the GPS and bluetooth's it to my laptop (again built in BT).

<UPDATE>

I normally run my laptop on it's battery as I only ever go out for about an hour. But if I do go out for longer I do own / take out a car inverter with me to plug into the cig lighter

</UPDATE>

What do I do with my results.

Make maps.

http://itspj.com/wifi/whole-downend.html

I started war driving to map the wireless points between me and a friend as we are trying to setup a long distance wifi between our houses, and thought if our antennas weren't strong enough, we could "piggy back" on somebody elses wifi in the middle of us, just so we could have a connection to talk to each other over LAN if either or both our ISPs went down.

It's not called piggy backing, it's called felony theft of services and unauthorized use of a computing device.

My rig

Panasonic CF-45 233MHz running ubuntu CLI

Kismet

GPSD - compiled for serial

Garmin etrex serial GPS

Orinoco Gold PCMCIA card

5 DBi mini mag mount antenna http://www.fab-corp.com/product.php?produc...=282&page=1

Lind DC-DC adapter

About to be retired and will move to a more technologically advanced option.

It actually isn't a crime. I'm sure I read that a judge wouldn't prosecute someone who was war driving and using someones wifi, because if they were too stupid to put a password on it, like they would have a lock on their front door, then its their own fault.

But that isn't our main aim anyway, the main aim is to have peer to peer.

It actually isn't a crime. I'm sure I read that a judge wouldn't prosecute someone who was war driving and using someones wifi, because if they were too stupid to put a password on it, like they would have a lock on their front door, then its their own fault.

But that isn't our main aim anyway, the main aim is to have peer to peer.

so if i left my car open with the keys in and runnning and you take it for a spin its not theft??

or if i leave my front door open and some mug comes and takes what he likes its not theft??

sorry i think you will find that it is still theft of service

anyway on subject

i dont log any sniffing i do so i suppose you cant call it wardriving

but while im out and about i usualy do some sniffing using my hp pavilion dv9000

using a belkin f5d7050 usb

and all that backtrack 3 can offer on software side

no gps yet

if i get my carputer installed i wil think about some serious logging with gps ( well once i can convince her indoors to let me hack it in the car ) ive got a redundant sony viao lappy with broken screen hinges thats just begging me to be installed

I've had this discussion time and time again. I will not get into a pissing match with irrelevent analogies about garden sprinkler, unlocked cars, reading papers by your neighbor's living room lights or your lack of ability to understand the ownership of an intangible object.

Open Access Point != Permission

Wardriving is not a crime. Wardrivers do not connect to access points, they log the presence of only. Once you make a connection you are no longer a wardriver but a criminal.

If you connect to a computer network without the owner's express permission you are comitting a crime. It doesn't matter how long, how much or for what reasons.

BTW, over at the Netstumbler forums you will find a post with numerous state's computer laws that we've compiled.

If you're looking for a compact wardriving system. I would pick up a cheap iPaq off ebay. If you're really advantageous get one that you can put linux on and run kismet. I've got notes

http://www.frontiernet.net/~beakmyn/

In fact you can run kismet (server or dron) on a wrt54gs. The Canadian border patrol loves to see those on the dash of your car when you roll through. No sir, that's not a radar detector.