The MacBook Pro 17 Inch Battery

Bakb0ne

Does anyone else find the redesigning of the lithium ion battery in the MBP17 a pretty good hack for the Apple Developers Team?

If you're not sure what I am talking about, check it out here: http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/17inch-battery/

I'm not particularly a huge Apple Fanboy, but I enjoy their work with open source development, and their hardware design is nice.

I would think that the added board for the unit would make it a more desirable item to toy with.

The ergonomic design of flat instead of cylindrical cells was very intuitive, I'd be doing less complaining about the replacement, and more time playing with the chip.

Custom battery configurations for your own needs would be a great thing, eventually someone will come around to hacking it, and it'll be a nice open window.

Isn't that what people like us are for?

Given that I read about some geeks who bought one of these, then sawed it in half to prove that the GPU was one of nVidias dodgey parts, I'm going to say that a lot of people will fuck with a $2000 laptop.

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/9...d-bump-material

What I don't like about the battery is that I work with a shit ton of laptops, the manafacturer might rate the battery as lasting 2-3 years, but I see sales guys who kill batterys in less than a year. Not being able to send someone a new battery if the current one dies is a huge reason Mac's are basically fashion toys / geek machines.

Given that I read about some geeks who bought one of these, then sawed it in half to prove that the GPU was one of nVidias dodgey parts, I'm going to say that a lot of people will fuck with a $2000 laptop.

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/9...d-bump-material

What I don't like about the battery is that I work with a shit ton of laptops, the manafacturer might rate the battery as lasting 2-3 years, but I see sales guys who kill batterys in less than a year. Not being able to send someone a new battery if the current one dies is a huge reason Mac's are basically fashion toys / geek machines.

But apparently this battery lasts 5 (like the OLPC)..., which may be the life of the computer with how fast laptops are getting these days. I personally could care less about being able to replace it as I'd never be able to afford another battery and am never in a situation where I'd need one. My guess is 97% of everyone buying a laptop that huge (read: road warriors) would be in the same boat.

Road warriors would probably want something a bit more portable, eh?

You would think that they would, but I work for a company that produces software for the telecomms sector, our road warriors cart around laptops running 3-4 servers. Or have a home office, and live miles away from anywhere.

I will belive the 5 year claim when I see it tbh, which I doubt I will. I have said before, in a consumer laptop this isn't a huge issue but it does reinforce the claim that Macs don't belong in enterprise IT.