Hak5 VPN

str33ts0ld13r

i started this thread to move discussion of the hak5 vpn out of the questions section where it started. i will update this first post with all the information that is needed for this project. please make your comments in this thread instead of the thread in questions.

A while ago i was thinking of creating a Hamachi clone based on OpenVPN, but never had time to get it started.

that would be pretty sweet to add any features that hamachi has that openvpn is missing. if you can code that would be great, im not much good when it comes to coding. what were you thinking of adding??

This has come up quite a bit through the past years. It all comes down to "would you really be willing to join a vpn with a bunch of "hackers". A vpn with complete strangers.

thats why we have to find a way to make it as secure as possible, your only line of defense shouldnt be your router firewall. i agree that there are a lot of security risks involved and that is one of my main concerns.. seeing as how it has come up before there is an interest in it, and i think that there is a way to make it work securely.

This has come up quite a bit through the past years. It all comes down to "would you really be willing to join a vpn with a bunch of "hackers". A vpn with complete strangers.

Yeah trusting strangers is hard. Perhaps make it invite only with invitees to supply verifiable data (address phone number, license number or something) but even then i don't know. I totally love the concept, but will the wannabe zero cool losers be able control themselves?

that would be pretty sweet to add any features that hamachi has that openvpn is missing. if you can code that would be great, im not much good when it comes to coding. what were you thinking of adding??

I was thinking of adding a wrapper around the original OpenVPN...

Yeah trusting strangers is hard. Perhaps make it invite only with invitees to supply verifiable data (address phone number, license number or something) but even then i don't know. I totally love the concept, but will the wannabe zero cool losers be able control themselves?

ya skiddies are a pain in the ass (i mean ill defend noobs because they haven't had the chance to lean yet but skiddies don't want to learn.). i like the invite only thing a registration would be one of the best security measures we could take. (note:everyone who helps contribute to this project will have access to the hak5 vpn before anyone else is invited). registrations will be included in this thank you for that input Swathe.

I was thinking of adding a wrapper around the original OpenVPN...

that would be sweet. encryption is always good..

sorry to everyone i haven't been able to do as much with this project as i would like. i have a few other projects that have been taking up a considerable amount of my time, but not to worry those projects are just about wrapped up and i will be able to focus more of my time to this. i hope to really get things moving on this in the next week or so. now to just make sure everyone is in agreement, we are going with openvpn....?..

exactly the way i feel is if they are willing to lean i dont mind helping them. but ya we all have those people that we cant stand.. yours is steve jobs mine is pretty much all sys-admin/IT departments

but the one that we can all agree on are those little internet punks.. (im sure im gonna get flamed for that IT comment (for all you flamers the key words in that sentence were "pretty much"))

I have nothing against noobs as everyone was one at some stage. I am pretty prejudice against dickheads though. And steve jobs.

He's dying, give him a break.

so are we going to get back on topic or what people?