Hak5 Season 5 begins February 18th

Darren Kitchen

With every new season number comes the opportunity to compare it to the last.

This constant can be expressed mathematically as ( n-1 > n )

Yet viewership, support, feedback, and most other quantifiable variables to the shows success are the complete inverse of the above formula.

Still, the constant is expressed every so often, like this example:

I personally liked season one through three the most so far because of the good dynamic and chemistry between Wess, Harrison, and Darren. That’s not to say the new version of the show is bad but its just too much like the screen savers and not quite like the original episodes which had a great underground feel to them.

--Gh0st

s1.jpg

I personally like every season individually for what they are. Each has a unique and rich essence that's ever changing. I feel that my response is the most eloquent I can conjure and should be shared.

The show evolves, the cast changes and season past will never be the same as season present. However chemistry develops, technology is dissected and laughs are had. The core of Hak5 is technolust and that remains throughout.

When presented with a situation of disband or press forward I’ll always beat the drum. This show is blessed with an enthused crew and a loyal and honest fan base.

We won’t please everyone all the time but as long as we put our passion in the show we’ll be happy with what we create and ultimately that’s what matters to me.

As always thank you for your continued feedback. Tell all your friends about Hak5 and stick around for ever enriched technolust.

s4.jpg

To see the evolution in action go back and watch 4x01 vs. 4x25. Follow the series and you'll understand why we get comments like;

But to be honest its not just the quality of the show that makes it good, the HAK Crew are a great bunch and tie that in with the fantastic segments and well written show notes, well what can i say its probably the best IT related show i have ever watched.

More recently we've been getting comments like

I just thought this episode was great. So much more professional and clean IMO, looks like you put a ton of work in.

I found the show to be one that was well thought out. The quality and time put in before and after the shooting def. showed. I honestly was smiling the whole time watching it!

The episode is very different from the others, and it's obvious within three minutes of watching. I approve

This episode is very refreshing from the others. I loved the RDP segment, especially when you talked about using nmap and other tools. It was kind of refreshing to just cut to the chase, cut the bullshit and do the important segments. Not sure if I want it to be like that every week, but I liked this episode a lot because of that.

Very informative for me. I enjoyed the show so much I watched it twice.

and

By the sounds of it, Hak5 is returning to the nitty gritty good stuff that made Season 1 and the first half of Season 2. I am excited!

And the fact of the matter is that after nearly 6 months laboring over the show's production with a new set, cast and network our endeavors have paid off. Production is pretty much in the can and has been for a while as apparent since the later part of this season.

While there are still some odds and ends that would make things smoother (like a Mac Pro and Adobe Premiere, both of which we have on loan) but the bottom line is that production has become second nature. Our focus has been on quality content and since our first episode of 2009 it has really shown.

As such episode 426 -- Shmoocon 2009 will be our last for season 4. February 18th marks the beginning of season 5.

Along with a few minor production tweaks based on the valuable feedback from Revision3 VP of Programming and Production Ryan Vance and the feedback we've received from viewers about segments such as GPU accelerated MD5 cracking, Online Brute Force Attacks and Securing RDP, Using Ophcrack Live, Terminal Service Alternatives, PHP Tamagotchi, USB Device Tracking and pfSense we're absolutely thrilled about Season 5.

Oh yeah, Evil Server is now taking questions (EvilServer@Hak5.org) and we're getting a monkey.

Guest PacGamer

I was one of the many who were picked up when Hak5 first joined Rev3. I have seen the quality of Hak5 grow both content wise and video wise in just this season. I have gone back to previous seasons and am watching a few episodes at a time. I really have to say, at the beginning of '09, Hak5 has started hitting right on target. This has been shown through the coming of HD, the appearence at CES, and such content. Hak5's professionalism is growing at a constant speed. Wish you all luck.

-PacGamer

Season 5 will almost be like a birthday present :D The new season starts the day after I turn 21...

Looking very much forward to the new season.. And as Swathe.. I love nitty gritty! :)

Dude the last episode of season 4, 426 -- Shmoocon 2009, airs on February 11th 2009. Otherwise known as my as my 26th birthday. For those who've been counting thats the age I said I was in season 1. I've finally caught up to my lied-about-age from 2005 (Ya know, because nobody would take a 22 year old seriously).

And then the very next day, the 12th, is Chris' 26th birthday too. Ha! I'm a day older than him. w00t

Hope you have a happy 21st. Tip one for Hak5 ;)

I was one of the many who were picked up when Hak5 first joined Rev3. I have seen the quality of Hak5 grow both content wise and video wise in just this season. I have gone back to previous seasons and am watching a few episodes at a time. I really have to say, at the beginning of '09, Hak5 has started hitting right on target. This has been shown through the coming of HD, the appearence at CES, and such content. Hak5's professionalism is growing at a constant speed. Wish you all luck.

-PacGamer

Oh great..., you pretty much said everything I wanted to...,

I know how to fix this.

-nullArray

That's better

The last few episodes have been a lot more together, than earlier shows this season.

You seem to have a lot more direction now that you guys have sorted your production issues and I think that the fact that you do episodes each week really exposed this process a little more than what would have occured if the monthly episode schedule had continued; rev3 aside.

What I mean by this is that you guys prolly would have had more time on your hands to concentrate on the issues, without having to deal with also churning out an episode a week to boot!

From what I've seen of the last couple of eps, things are on the way up and up again.

Best of luck to you all.

Cheers....

I think that in the end the main thing is that there are either three type of people when it comes to watching hak5:

-ones that like the thoroughness more

-ones that like the nitty gritty/to the point more

How about an internal format type that alternates between shows? i.e. 1 show is about a bunch of stuff in the nitty gritty/ the next more of an faq/how to and just a touch of the nitty gritty.

I think my main thing that I want to see more is smoothness of transition of segments between shows. I.E. if your doing a segment that will span multiple shows, have a segment on ea. show, but if you hit a roadblock in it, and you can't do x portion of x how to, then just acknowledge it and try to give an eta, which I know you guys do alot, but sometimes it's like it goes smooth but other times, a segment is going and then the next show it's nowhere to be found in the show (like the wireshark segments and the software disassembly segment).

BUT I do love the show, and everytime there is something new, then I eat it right up. I just wish I had more time to learn about all this multiple stuffs by myself. I would still love to tunnel my connection so I could be secure on the school wifi and/or (if possible) some vnc from work.

one last thing, as an idea for the show, what about some info on mysql and how you could use it? Alot of people have no idea what it is much less how much power it could grant you in development of things.

I completely agree with what other people have been saying. Although, as much as I love all of the software stuff (nmap, GPU MD5 Bruteforcing, SSH, etc...), I really miss the modding segments, and the segments that on converting old boxes into phone switchboards, kick ass firewalls, etc. If you could bring those back. I would watch this show non stop... seriously.