Is there a way to get around the limit for ram with win xp 32 bit?

2Tall4U

99% of home computers don't run virtualized computers on them, nor have £2,000+ Adobe creative suits install on them. Once your doing those things your looking for more of a workstation that home computer.

Also consider that more people buy laptops now than laptops, for their daily usage and the majority of laptops only support up to 4GB of memory.

For video, you'll want a fast processor and lots of hard drive space.

For gaming, you'll want a decent graphics card.

Do you have a suggestion for the processor that I should get?

Thank you

Intel processors have always tended to best AMD when it comes to video processing. At the moment they generally come out on top of AMD in most things at the moment. Also get the most number of cores you can, try to get a quad core, this is because most video applications are heavily multi-threaded and you will see the benefit from them.

You don't need 4GB+ RAM no, but with Vista x64 and the current price point for RAM, maxing it out will be a cheap upgrade that will have lasting real world gains that will out weigh a videocard or cpu upgrade in the long term. Its not like XP so you can't really compare memory usage between the 2. Vista actually makes use of your unused memory where as XP tends to keep it free, so while having tons of memory with XP is kinda pointless, with Vista it will be used. I think my machine tends to idle at around 2.5-3GB of memory usage generally. 8GB of DDR is less than £80 these days, so why not go for it?

If your going to be doing video editing then get Vista x64, max out your memory and get a quad core cpu. Couple this with a decent video card and you will have a very nice system.

I will admit that on a laptop 4GB is a sensible limit however, but only because the price of 4GB SODIMMs is prohibative atm. Both of my workstation class laptops support up to 8GB though.

Intel processors have always tended to best AMD when it comes to video processing. At the moment they generally come out on top of AMD in most things at the moment. Also get the most number of cores you can, try to get a quad core, this is because most video applications are heavily multi-threaded and you will see the benefit from them.

Thank You Stingwray for the info, I'll see what I can get

You don't need 4GB+ RAM no, but with Vista x64 and the current price point for RAM, maxing it out will be a cheap upgrade that will have lasting real world gains that will out weigh a videocard or cpu upgrade in the long term. Its not like XP so you can't really compare memory usage between the 2. Vista actually makes use of your unused memory where as XP tends to keep it free, so while having tons of memory with XP is kinda pointless, with Vista it will be used. I think my machine tends to idle at around 2.5-3GB of memory usage generally.

If your going to be doing video editing then get Vista x64, max out your memory and get a quad core cpu. Couple this with a decent video card and you will have a very nice system.

Thank You Vako

My copy of Vista idles at 1.46gb of RAM used, on a 32bit OS that would only leave 1.5gb left,

So you run a game and play online, game takes its share of the RAM, but then you may have ventrillo, possibly xFire, running a G15 keyboard and a game that supports the HUD? eventually it all takes its toll on the RAM.

Family users play games as well, its not just left to elite hardcore gamers who need top end rigs just to blow a load in the morning. These days for the price its not uncommon to build cheap systems with 4gb (@ 800) of RAM. Might as well utilize it.

My copy of Vista idles at 1.46gb of RAM used, on a 32bit OS that would only leave 1.5gb left,

So you run a game and play online, game takes its share of the RAM, but then you may have ventrillo, possibly xFire, running a G15 keyboard and a game that supports the HUD? eventually it all takes its toll on the RAM.

Family users play games as well, its not just left to elite hardcore gamers who need top end rigs just to blow a load in the morning. These days for the price its not uncommon to build cheap systems with 4gb (@ 800) of RAM. Might as well utilize it.

See, your doing it wrong, the man below is doing it right! :lol:

my 32bit vista idles at 698 meg used out of 2gig how ever it is a new install so doesnt have much running