This is a cool computer

2Tall4U

without steve jobs what? titanium dioxide would not be as popular?

Crays are MASSIVE machines...

oh and no, not steve jobs, more like Seymour Cray, who was tinking in the computer field before steve got his first boner..

I think Crays are not the worlds fastes any longer. Not positive, but I think AMD and IBM worked on one faster, and IBM is now working on a 20 Petaflop machine.

who knows what is actually the fastest now... there are so many that are so fast it's crazy. Personally for the most part I think its a waste of money...

BUT....

THAT DAMN SURE WILL RUN CRYSIS *if crysis were coded to run on that computer anyways.

btw: that computer in an endless loop? what if it found it's own end to the loop? lol

Super computers are sort of a horrible investment..., there has to be some sort of formula for these things.

At my work, we have a nice respectable Sun servers..., bright purple (looks similar to this). Not the sexy G5/Mac Pro/Xserve inspired designs they have now. They're super dated, no one wants to use them anymore unless they have to. I can't imagine how something like that would scale to a super super computer...,

I'd imagine that there's a performance/cost/decaying value algorithm that determines how many units to get..., I'd like to see it too.

Super computer have their purposes depending on the user. With out them many achievements we have made thus far would not have been possible, not going to google it for you. However, I cannot see a reason for a home user to have one... no matter how bad they want to be at the top of the f@h list.

I know that this wouldn't be possible without Steve Jobs

You mean, "this wouldn't be possible without Tim Paterson", right?

You know:

The "Microsoft Disk Operating System" or MS-DOS was based on QDOS, the "Quick and Dirty Operating System" written by Tim Paterson of Seattle Computer Products, for their prototype Intel 8086 based computer.

QDOS was based on Gary Kildall's CP/M, Paterson had bought a CP/M manual and used it as the basis to write his operating system in six weeks, QDOS was different enough from CP/M to be considered legal.

Microsoft bought the rights to QDOS for $50,000, keeping the IBM deal a secret from Seattle Computer Products.

Gates then talked IBM into letting Microsoft retain the rights, to market MS DOS separate from the IBM PC project, Gates proceeded to make a fortune from the licensing of MS-DOS.

In 1981, Tim Paterson quit Seattle Computer Products and found employment at Microsoft.

- Credit: http://inventors.about.com/library/weekly/aa033099.htm

EDIT:

On the topic of FLOPS:

1) FLOPS = FLoating-point Operations Per Second

2) FLOPS, like Moose, is both plural & singular, so "1 FLOPS" is correct.

3) A pocket calculator manages 10 FLOPS

4) An Intel Q6600 @ 3.2 GHz manages 26.7 GigaFLOPS (26.7*10^9 or 26,700,000,000)

5) The Intel QX9775 @ stock clock manages 37 GigaFLOPS (37*10^9 or 37,000,000,000)

6) An ATI Radeon 4870x2 (second fastest GPU ever) manages 1.2 TeraFLOPS (1.2*10^12 or 1,200,000,000,000)

7) The experimental Intel POLARIS chip (80 cores) manages 128 TeraFLOPS (1.8*10^12 or 1,800,000,000,000

8) IBM's Roadrunner (current fastest computer) manages 1.026 PetaFLOPS (1.206*10^15 or 12,060,000,000,000)

9) Folding@Home manages a combined 4.61 PetaFLOPS (4.61*10^15 or 4,610,000,000,000,000)

10) IBM's upcoming Sequoia Supercomputer will manage 20 PetaFLOPS (20*10^15 or 20,000,000,000,000,000)