Wardriving / Coffee shop / ect.. hacking with a laptop, question..

still learning

I have always used wired desktop pcs, and am getting a latop very soon. I have seen people recommending a FON on here, how much better does it make the signal? Like in one of the videos I think one of the dudes got a range of like 1.5 miles. Also what kind of apps or hardware would you suggest I would need for wardriving? (Im guessing just BT3 live cd would work) thanks

I have always used wired desktop pcs, and am getting a latop very soon. I have seen people recommending a FON on here, how much better does it make the signal? Like in one of the videos I think one of the dudes got a range of like 1.5 miles. Also what kind of apps or hardware would you suggest I would need for wardriving? (Im guessing just BT3 live cd would work) thanks

The Fon is a router, although the jasegar hack gives it more functionality than just a plain old router. As for war driving, windows + netstumbler will get the job done just fine without having to run a live cd. Most laptops come with built-in wireless these days, so unless your card won't work with Back Track, then you shouldn't need to buy a seperate card. External cards are nice for when you want to mod them for different antennas or need a different chipset specifically for working with Back Track.

Yeah but would it really get a range like that w/ the moded FON (1.5 miles range?) The built in one will prob only get 1000ft at max right? I am going for the most range as possible. Thanks

The Fon by itself can not reach that far without the help of a special antenna or setup.

What kind of special setup or antenna do I need to get w/ the FON?

Are you trying to connect to the Fon from a mile away, or give people access to it from a mile away? I'm a bit confused with yoru question. You can use something like this for long range wifi connecting: http://www.radiolabs.com/products/wireless...ine-antenna.php or build your own yagi antenna or even a cantenna for unidirectional short ranges.

http://www.radiolabs.com/products/wireless/wireless-2.html

Trying to get the largest radius of wifi signal that i can possibly get for the cheapest. The first link you gave me said it was like 170$ and got a one mile range for wifi, I have heard about the pringle can thing but you have to have a PCI wifi card port for that right? The laptop i am getting has regular rj45, rj11, built in wifi and usb connections.. whats up with pineapple? isnt that some sort of external wifi thingy.. i am new to this as i have only used my wifi for my xbox 360 pretty much

ok so you've got a few options here for extending the wireless capabilities of your laptop. first you have to decide what type of wireless card you want to use. your laptop assuming its new will likely have a mini pci express or half mini wireless card, these internal adapters are easy to remove and replace with higher powered cards. the internal cards that come with your laptop will rarely be higher than 100mw. if your laptop is a little older and uses the regular mini pci card youll have alot more options for replacing it with much higher powered cards. ubiquiti has alot of nice mini pci cards that go up to 1000mw but these are mainly for use with router boards and your laptops mini pci slot likely wont be able to power if you choose to use an internal card you should look into hooking up an external antenna. internal cards use the U.fl connection, and there are lots of places online where you can buy U.fl pigtails for round 8-9 bucks.

you could also look into usb wireless adapters, ubiquiti has a niiiice sr-71 usb 300mw wireless card i just got one recently. its the highest powered dongle style usb adapter youll find, it has dual mmcx antenna connectors, and features atheros mimo a/b/g/n wireless chipset. very nice if you have the money. i also have a couple of ubiquiti's srx 300 express wireless cards (i've included pics below) which is the highest powered express card you can get currently and also features an atheros 5006 a/b/g wireless chipset and a single mmcx antenna port.

there are other options for usb cards like the hawking one in the pic that has a nice RP-SMA antenna connection (hard to find on dongle style wireless cards) and has the ralink RT73 chipset (great for use with the aircrack-ng suite in linux)

your laptop should also have power/performance configuration settings for your internal wireless card that will allow you to set things like transmit power, roaming aggressivness, channel selection etc depending on the driver installed and the chipset that the card uses. likely youll get one with an intel or broadcom chipset.

there are also lots of options for antenna types, you can mod your own which may or may not work out for you (depends if youre handy with a soldering iron or not) usually these DIY cantennas arent very portable or sturdy so i wouldnt recommend it for wardriving or coffee shop pwning, they arent very discrete looking. check wlanparts.com they have some nice antennas that you could mount to tha back of your laptop, get a nice high gain omni directional and a nice uni directional.

wifi1.jpg

quizimg.png

connectortype.jpg

quizimg.png

CIMG1193.jpg

quizimg.png

Seriously? A "wifi thingy"? You name speaks to the competency you posses because digip is try to help and you are cutting him/her(if so call me some time) off at ever turn. Honestly if you want to get wifi at a great distance and be able to maintain that then you are going to need a GOOD antenna, sure the cantennas are neat but they are no where near as powerful as a well manafuctured on. Any thing worth doing is worth doing right and if you think you can make a good antenna for your card then go about it.

1 Get a PCMCIA wireless card with an atheros chipset and external antenna adapter

2 Get BIG ASS antenna

3 Learn about other things to exploit(Wake on LAN)

4 Then pine apple is a pretty cool toy but that can also be acheived with a wired connection and a wireless card

5 Metasploit isnt the "Ub3r l337 h4ck3r" tool, not everything can be broken with it

6 Troll milworm and learn how to compile some of that

7 Make a ICQ trojan and start smaping you friends and hope they pass it on

8 Make new friends

9 Learn real SQL injection and XSS

10 Find a computer you can easily take over and install ssh/apache

11 READ MORE

IMO exploiting computers is alot easier said then done, especially if you are just running metasploit. Sure its good for windows sp1, but the new more patched version arent likely to be very vulnerable. Playing with webservers/services is WAY more fun, and if you learn more than ' OR ''=' then you can get 10x more passwords.

See vectors treasures? Thats money and time, and will get the job done..

Seriously? A "wifi thingy"? You name speaks to the competency you posses because digip is try to help and you are cutting him/her(if so call me some time) off at ever turn. Honestly if you want to get wifi at a great distance and be able to maintain that then you are going to need a GOOD antenna, sure the cantennas are neat but they are no where near as powerful as a well manafuctured on. Any thing worth doing is worth doing right and if you think you can make a good antenna for your card then go about it.

1 Get a PCMCIA wireless card with an atheros chipset and external antenna adapter

2 Get BIG ASS antenna

3 Learn about other things to exploit(Wake on LAN)

4 Then pine apple is a pretty cool toy but that can also be acheived with a wired connection and a wireless card

5 Metasploit isnt the "Ub3r l337 h4ck3r" tool, not everything can be broken with it

6 Troll milworm and learn how to compile some of that

7 Make a ICQ trojan and start smaping you friends and hope they pass it on

8 Make new friends

9 Learn real SQL injection and XSS

10 Find a computer you can easily take over and install ssh/apache

11 READ MORE

IMO exploiting computers is alot easier said then done, especially if you are just running metasploit. Sure its good for windows sp1, but the new more patched version arent likely to be very vulnerable. Playing with webservers/services is WAY more fun, and if you learn more than ' OR ''=' then you can get 10x more passwords.

See vectors treasures? Thats money and time, and will get the job done..

First off I do not use metasploit. Never have. I am a computer programming student so i am more of a computer enthuiest. In no way am i ever saying im "elite hacker" or whatever.. just as my name states i am still learning, and asking questions here because this seems to be a good community of people. I dont take any of the help for granted and apprciate everyones help and in no way was trying to "cut off Digip" as you said, and Vector thanks for your help. Awesome post. I am a new student and just learning how to translate base codes and soder electric boards and all of that good stuff.