AutoAP

I've just been passed this link

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=43882

It is someone trying to implement this on the fon

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Autoap

Basically it is a script which will automatically connect to the best AP around for network connection. It would be nice to build this as an add on script for Jasager.

Any takers?

Yea I've been looking into that too. treebuey on fonerahacks.com converted it to the DD-WRT version of the fon. The main part of the program is a shell script that calls some custom programs or built in dd-wrt commands. So if the programs would work on openwrt then the only thing that needs to be changed are the dd-wrt commands to openwrt versions.

I haven't read any more than the idea behind the project. I'm willing to help if you or anyone else wants to try to implement it.

Do you think the autoap.exe would work on openwrt? Everything else is shell script or an awk script. I haven't looked at the scripts to much yet but I don't know why they couldn't be converted to openwrt.

am i getting this right? is the purpose of this thing to connect to a wifi network and share this connection to another wifi, lets say the network of jasager?

when its like that, it would be win.. but i cant imagine doing that without having two wifi modules in the fon.. Oo

I agree that it isn't ideal to run a single wireless interface in both client and AP mode but people do it and it seems to work ok.

My solution to this would be to have 2 fons back to back, joined by the wired network, one would be a client, the other a server.

Very likely (autoap.sh) will work immediately with no changes, as long as your target AP's are acquired via ATH0, you are willing to sacrifice most of the functionality (only access EASY open AP) and can ignore all the error mesages. If that's all you have to do,

A brainless way is to set up the atheros that it will simply connect to the first open ap it finds roaming. all that takes is a couple settings with a couple comands of wlanconfig/iwconfig and udhcpc. then u don't need autoap. If you ever run backtrack2, that's exactly what happens when you boot it up, you have a working atheros adapter and an open ap is nearby.

I would caution you about doing more than running autoap.exe GUI (as it is to see what it does.) DO NOT save settings with it. . nvram is treated differently with dd-wrt. In autoap.exe there are a few hard coded locations in nvram. I have no idea what damage it would do to an openwrt installation. probably not kill redboot, but it might damage your rootfs OR do something unpredictable to the upper half of nvram.

Cheers,

Treebuey

Sounds good, who wants to try first?

Seeing as Jasager works on ath0 it would be good to get it on ath1 (I knew hardcoding the interface would come back to haunt me!).

Also having the seek out strongest signal would be useful but as a start this will be ok.

For anyone wanting to do the basic one, as treebuey says, you can do it with iwlist, iwconfig and a few greps, pipes and related tools.

The autoap.sh found my ap and tried to connect but it didn't work. I think the script might need some minor tweeks but I think it's close. I'll try to play with it more when I get some time.

sed: /tmp/www/autoap.htm: No such file or directory
./autoap.sh: ./autoap.sh: 487: nvram: not found
./autoap.sh: ./autoap.sh: 487: gpio: not found
./autoap.sh: ./autoap.sh: 487: nvram: not found
sh: 1: unknown operand
Reading NVRAM variables...
./autoap.sh: ./autoap.sh: 492: nvram: not found
sh: ap: unknown operand
./autoap.sh: ./autoap.sh: 497: nvram: not found
sh: dhcp: unknown operand
Successfully collected access point scan data, analysing...
Status Type Name MAC Address Channel SNR[dB]
Found open AP xxxx 00:05:5D:EC:25:68  6 39
Trying to connect to open AP: "xxxx" with MAC Address: 00:00:00:00:00:00
./autoap.sh: ./autoap.sh: 524: nvram: not found
cat: /tmp/var/run/udhcpc.pid: No such file or directory
ping: www.google.com: Unknown host
PING 127.0.0.1 (127.0.0.1): 56 data bytes
64 bytes from 127.0.0.1: icmp_seq=0 ttl=64 time=1.4 ms
64 bytes from 127.0.0.1: icmp_seq=1 ttl=64 time=1.4 ms
64 bytes from 127.0.0.1: icmp_seq=2 ttl=64 time=1.3 ms
64 bytes from 127.0.0.1: icmp_seq=3 ttl=64 time=1.3 ms
64 bytes from 127.0.0.1: icmp_seq=4 ttl=64 time=1.3 ms

--- 127.0.0.1 ping statistics ---
5 packets transmitted, 5 packets received, 0% packet loss
round-trip min/avg/max = 1.3/1.3/1.4 ms
./autoap.sh: ./autoap.sh: 524: gpio: not found
Failed to ping: "xxxx" Gateway:  Received IP Address:

• 3 months later...

I'd like to integrate autoap into Piranha 2 but as it seems treebuey is quite busy currently and thus not able to care about. What I'd like to know: are you guys still interested in porting this to openwrt kamikaze (respectively trying it)? If so, I'd appreciate any help you could provide. Let me know if you're interested in trying this together...

So far I had a look at the scripts:

1. as of the GUI part (autoap.exe) I have no idea. anyone else? I don't even know how to access it under kamikaze - NFG? you said you had it running already in kamikaze?

2. as of autoap.sh: the major challenge is to substitute the nvram calls with something kamikaze understands actually, isn't it? Not sure why treebuey mentioned that it should run immediately though. What would you think about mapping nvram calls to uci configuration? I did some investigation on this and found out that we could create a conf file /etc/config/autoap and introduce all the variables autoap uses into that file. Once this is done, we'd be able to substitute nvram get and set commands with uci set and get respectively. So e.g. "nvram set autoap_rescannow=0" would result in "uci set autoap.autoap_rescannow=0"

That's obviously not all that needs to be done, but at least a start if it works. I hope for someone able to investigate especially the GUI part.

Please tell me if nvram mapping makes sense to you. Would you be interested in trying this together?

best,

orange

PS: Some documentation about uci can be found here http://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=15243

Not that much enthusiasm at once please :rolleyes:

Ok, first step (not the most elegant but hopefully effective one) from my perspective would be to write kinda "nvram emulator" for all nvram variables autoap uses, i.e. a shellscript "nvram". It should just map all nvram calls to appropriate uci calls. Is there anyone interested in contributing? I'm on my way trying this currently - some support (especially with the GUI part) would be great though.

thanks,

orange