A plead to my fellow hackers

Harp

This is a bit of a complicated story and I've had next to no sleep in the last 3 days, so bear with me. (thank god for spell check). My friend (John Doe #1) received a message on MSN Live from another friend (Jane Doe) asking if he could send some money. John Doe #1 said he didn't have any. End of conversation. Later, my friends MSN account (John Doe #1) was hijacked and someone was messaging people asking for money.

This is where the story goes from stupid to bad. One of my other friends (John #2) actually sent him money. I say HIM because we were able to establish a webcam chat and took a screen shot. Now that we have SOME evidence, I want to try and track this person down even more. I could really use ANY suggestions. We are going to collect what we can and contact the police and present what we have found. Otherwise I'm sure they wouldn't take it too seriously.

---

Notes:

The person is requesting online transfers only. When I recommended I could go to the bank and perform a transfer via that method, they declined.

I tried to capture packets, but found that MSN routes threw seemingly random servers.

Have not tried to transfer any files at this time, but am very willing to social engineer this into the equation.

This is a bit of a complicated story and I've had next to no sleep in the last 3 days, so bear with me. (thank god for spell check). My friend (John Doe #1) received a message on MSN Live from another friend (Jane Doe) asking if he could send some money. John Doe #1 said he didn't have any. End of conversation. Later, my friends MSN account (John Doe #1) was hijacked and someone was messaging people asking for money.

This is where the story goes from stupid to bad. One of my other friends (John #2) actually sent him money. I say HIM because we were able to establish a webcam chat and took a screen shot. Now that we have SOME evidence, I want to try and track this person down even more. I could really use ANY suggestions. We are going to collect what we can and contact the police and present what we have found. Otherwise I'm sure they wouldn't take it too seriously.

---

Notes:

The person is requesting online transfers only. When I recommended I could go to the bank and perform a transfer via that method, they declined.

I tried to capture packets, but found that MSN routes threw seemingly random servers.

Have not tried to transfer any files at this time, but am very willing to social engineer this into the equation.

Well, if you can garuntee his IP is not masked or proxied in some way, you can get some info using: http://www.ip2location.com/demo.aspx

Now, this doesn't give you his street address or anything like that, but it gives you some idea where the target is. Next would be to find the ISP he uses, get as much traffic and packets going between the two of you and track down the ISP with Law enforcment to help you. They will have an easier time finding th eperson that you ever could, and really is their job to do so anyway. The FBI migth even get involved if you can get some hard evidence of the story you posted here, but don't expect much as anyone who willingly sends money to someone else is at risk of losing any said money due to their own fault. He didn't hack their bank and steal anything, so what you really have is "stupid does what stupid asked for".

This is not the place to ask this question. I also doubt the legitimacy of your story, you just magically started a webcam chat with him, wouldn't he have accept the connection before you could see him? How did your friend send the money, just refuse the charge on your credit card just like any other fraudulent charge. It's not like he gave home cash across the internet.

If this is true tracking him down is not a good idea, and will be extremely difficult if you're not and FBI agent

I can verify EVERYTHING I've said via packets and screen shots. My ex girlfriend was contacted by him and being a horny young male, or just a horny male in general, they started a web chat after she had contacted me about the situation. Everyone has a style of speaking online / txt'ing, and she thought something was amis.

As for the money, I'm sure we can pool together and give my friend some cash, but we just don't want this happening again.

We have changed the password on the account several times, but the attacker gets in within seconds or sooner. I have NO idea how this is happening. My friend clicked on no links sent by friends. He thought it was threw brute forceing the "forgot my password question". He removed that but I do believe it's still occuring.

And being as this is occuring within Canada, the RCMP will be the group we would get involved. Luckily I have a friend in the local police force who might know some people.

I also doubt the legitimacy of your story
As do I think most people who have read this thread.

I can verify EVERYTHING I've said via packets and screen shots. My ex girlfriend was contacted by him and being a horny young male, or just a horny male in general, they started a web chat after she had contacted me about the situation.

LOL your ex is a whore.

*sigh* ... All we want to do is stop this from happening again. Money aside... cause I couldn't give a rats ass. I'll loose money, and I don't care. I'll just go to work and make more. I just don't want this happening to my friends, family, or more. And if everyone felt the same way (live and learn), then who would stop people like this from going, and going. And then they devolop more skill, and start getting into bank accounts and credit cards, and then they start affecting your services and quality of life.

... but now I'm just going into a rant and I really don't want to. My appologies. I'm just looking for some insight on how to establish some form of connection to obtain an IP to provide to the athorities. And as stated, I know thy'll probably "fluff it off". But if someone has done the leg work, I'm sure they must take things more seriously. This is identity theft in a sence.

*edit*

My ex is a close friend. And a friend that is willing to CHAT with someone to help another friend out. I advised her to only proceed that far, and even less if she felt un-comfortable. And truthfully.. she's cute and I don't blame him for wanting to chat ;)

And I do appreciate the information on how to prevent this and how to alter one's online habbits and system access.

... but now I'm just going into a rant and I really don't want to. My appologies. I'm just looking for some insight on how to establish some form of connection to obtain an IP to provide to the athorities. And as stated, I know thy'll probably "fluff it off". But if someone has done the leg work, I'm sure they must take things more seriously. This is identity theft in a sence.

IP address != person

*sigh* ... All we want to do is stop this from happening again. Money aside... cause I couldn't give a rats ass. I'll loose money, and I don't care. I'll just go to work and make more. I just don't want this happening to my friends, family, or more. And if everyone felt the same way (live and learn), then who would stop people like this from going, and going. And then they devolop more skill, and start getting into bank accounts and credit cards, and then they start affecting your services and quality of life.

I see what you are saying, but you cant save the world... even if you were to catch this guy there would be 2 others right there doing the same thing. It all comes down to end-user security and knowing the dangers present in anything online. your friends and family and everyone for that mater need to educate themselves. That's the only real way to stop people like this.

Don't worry about catching this guy. Just up the security measures.

Best of luck

I'm aware that doesn't mean it's THAT person, but the ISP could then get involved and provide the police with the appropriate information to continue the investigation. I could care less if I personally meet this person. I just want to give something to the police.

I'm aware that doesn't mean it's THAT person, but the ISP could then get involved and provide the police with the appropriate information to continue the investigation. I could care less if I personally meet this person. I just want to give something to the police.

The ISP doesn't want to get involved. They want you to get a caught order, fulfil the caught order then do nothing again.

Without a lawyer, you will probably not get much farther than a customer service rep at any ISP out there. If a real crime was committed, report it to the police and proceed from there. Gather as much evidence as possible and make report it.

Ok, this has jumped the flame shark, OP: not much you can do but start changing all the details etc for the hotmail account on a different machine, the money is probally lost unless you can trace the transaction, and the police will probally do nothing unless you can give them the suspect and he happens to be in their duristriction. Locked.