ophcrack questions

timmy

Hi i was just finished installing the Ophcrack usb used in one of the hack five episodes and it comes with several errors.

• boot error (for vista only)
  • and one error in xp 64bit saying that it can not find any hashes ( ireally have no idea why i cant find the hashes on this one)

I dont want to use any other tool because its seems that the one that they were using is an all in one (meaning that it can run on both vista and xp)

thanx for any help or ideas why this could go wrong

Hi i was just finished installing the Ophcrack usb used in one of the hack five episodes and it comes with several errors.

• boot error (for vista only)
  • and one error in xp 64bit saying that it can not find any hashes ( ireally have no idea why i cant find the hashes on this one)

I dont want to use any other tool because its seems that the one that they were using is an all in one (meaning that it can run on both vista and xp)

thanx for any help or ideas why this could go wrong

Have you tried just running a live disc of it vs usb? http://ophcrack.sourceforge.net/download.php?type=livecd

Also, be sure to check the MD5 hash after downloading to make sure its not a corrupt download.

i have a question too ... is it possible to run ophcrack without the tables ? as a normal bruteforce app ?

I really don't see the point when the tables on the live disc are fairly good at cracking most user passwords. Unless they have some mega long special character password then you wouldn't need to download seperate tables. Cracking them without tables would take eons...not really, but a long time that just seems like a waste.

Agreed bruteforcing is not an effective way to crack passwords, you know rainbow tables are basically a really fast bruteforce?

Have you tried just running a live disc of it vs usb? http://ophcrack.sourceforge.net/download.php?type=livecd

Also, be sure to check the MD5 hash after downloading to make sure its not a corrupt download.

Um i kinda want it to be usb since you can have both the vista live cd and the xp live cd and what do u mean by checking the MD5 hash thanx for the quick reply

Um i kinda want it to be usb since you can have both the vista live cd and the xp live cd and what do u mean by checking the MD5 hash thanx for the quick reply

Each file has a specific MD5 Hash that identifies the file. If you download the file and the MD5 hash does not match the original file, then it is most likely corrupt.

http://www.google.com/search?num=50&hl...amp;btnG=Search

You also don't need both the LiveCDs to be able to crack both XP and Vista hashes. You can edit one of the ISO files and add the other tables. (So if you edit the XP ISO then you would add the Vista tables, and vise versa ) Although it will be too big to fit on a CD you can still burn it to a DVD. I'm not sure but you might be able to compress the tables and be able to still burn it to CD, but every time you run it, you'd have to uncompress the tables.

To check the MD5 hash of a file you can use one of these tools:

Linux -- MD5sum

Windows -- WinMD5Sum

Mac OS X -- MD5

If you do a lotta downloading of files and such, give hashtab a try. Its a shell extension for Windows that adds a "File Hashes" tab to file properties for quick checking rather than having to go launch md5sum w/e and than having to navigate to the file you just downloaded. Now you can just click open folder at the end of your download go to properties and get the hashes almost imediately.

Download it here

Ok so for combining xp and vista live CD`s i just add the tables to the corresponding place and im done don't they use different hashes ? If i use the xp disk will the dump work on vista 2 ?

And for everyone who is suggesting hash checkers thanks!! :)