Universal Customizer Issue

chopper

Hi,

I am trying to use Universal Customizer to put XP on a SanDisk Cruzer 4GB Titanium Flash Drive but keep getting the error

'U3 Customizer can only customize one device at a time. Please eject all devices except the one you want to customize'.

The only device I have in is the Flash Drive. Looking in My Computer the Flash Drive comes up as two drives, one Removable Disk and the other as a CD Drive. Is this the problem?

Does anyone know how I can overcome this?

Regards

Firstly do u have vista or xp...i'm pretty sure it's designed to work on xp only.

Also I found this:

"Do you have a USB keyboard? A USB mouse? A USB camera disc reader? A USB printer? A USB video camera? A USB hub? Try unpluging them one by one until the problem goes away. You may also have to U3 eject and reinsert the drive each time."

Read my guide to using Universal Customizer in Vista, also putting the XP iso on the cd partition of the U3 drive will not allow it to boot. The CD partition is not real and only recognized as so in windows. You can however put install it to the flash part and it will work.

That is wrong. The CD-part is real and is also seen under Linux .

Furthermore, some BIOS also recognize it and allow booting from it as USB-CD ROM .

That is wrong. The CD-part is real and is also seen under Linux .

Furthermore, some BIOS also recognize it and allow booting from it as USB-CD ROM .

no what he means is that its not real until the OS recognizes it. so it wont register on the boot menu as a CD drive.

Allow me to put on my I research before I post hat.

* The hardware configuration causes Windows disk management to show two drives:

1. A read-only ISO 9660 volume on an emulated CD-ROM drive with an autorun configuration to execute the U3 LaunchPad, and

2. A standard flash drive (FAT formatted) that includes a hidden "SYSTEM" folder with installed applications.

* U3 compliant applications can be (optionally) preloaded by manufacturers.

WikiAlso read at the bottom about hardware recognising it.

The drive is emulated by windows, not the bios... bios wont recognise it(the cd partition).. wont work, already tried. If you can get it to boot an ISO from the EMULATE CD partition then you are a better man, but i have tried multiple ways and have not succeeded. If you search the Hack"skiddie"sawBlade section you will see i posted all of this months ago.

ALSO find me a bios that does will boot it as a CD ROM drive, prove me wrong.

http://hak5.org/forums/index.php?showtopic...mp;#entry116032

my bios recognizes it I made the account to post also have the same problem running windows7 beta

the bios was last upated in 2006 I will post the bios later but here is the pic

I have never booted from it because I have never put anything there but I dont see why that could not be done

Allow me to put on my I research before I post hat.

WikiAlso read at the bottom about hardware recognising it.

The drive is emulated by windows, not the bios... bios wont recognise it(the cd partition).. wont work, already tried. If you can get it to boot an ISO from the EMULATE CD partition then you are a better man, but i have tried multiple ways and have not succeeded. If you search the Hack"skiddie"sawBlade section you will see i posted all of this months ago.

ALSO find me a bios that does will boot it as a CD ROM drive, prove me wrong.

http://hak5.org/forums/index.php?showtopic...mp;#entry116032

post-12754-1233382034_thumb.jpg

I have tried everything I unplugged every usb device exept for the flash drive and still gives me the same error even on the laptop with xp. I also disabbled the drivers for the card reader/infrared/camera etc... still gives me the same messege every time

my bios recognizes it I made the account to post also have the same problem running windows7 beta

the bios was last upated in 2006 I will post the bios later but here is the pic

I have never booted from it because I have never put anything there but I dont see why that could not be done

Third party sources*

>1) How in the world do you create an iso image?

mkisofs.exe works.<

Many current CD burning software will be able to create an iso, also the infrarecorder does. Otherwise there is an frontend to the mkisofs called folder2iso somewhere on the net.

>You can boot a U3 drive without touching it's CDFS partition. I boot mine. I don't know enough about GParted and what it's requirements are to give you anymore info.<

well you might make the normal data partition bootable with MBR and all what it needs, but remember, only computers which have BIOS with the ability to boot from USB will boot then. Many computers still are simply not able to recognize any thing on the usb port by BIOS, in such case also the CD faked partition will not be seen at boot time then.

The data saying that here is 'a CD drive' is still placed on the usb stick and this one will simply not be seen during boot time if the computer bios does not support it.

Otto Sykora

Basel, Switzerland

http://www.boot-land.net/forums/index.php?...ost&p=52131

AND

I am not going to argue with someone who cannot install U3 software. It says that it wont reconginize it if the bios doesnt but not many bios's have the ability to boot from that, so if its something like orphcrack then its a lost cause.

there is no argument you asked to prove a bios that would boot from the flash as a cd-rom and mine clearly does that I was just trying to help gain everyone knowledge by providing facts not bashing someone on an unrelated issue (the fact that the installer is not working does not mean the flashdrive is not recognized in the bios because it clearly is) I agree you probably could not run ophcrack but that is not what I want it for anyway. Just burn it to a cd most computers have cd-roms installed and are programed to boot from them much easier route to take.Now back to the real issue anyone have any idea on how to fix the problem? or made any progress on it?

Third party sources*

AND

I am not going to argue with someone who cannot install U3 software. It says that it wont reconginize it if the bios doesnt but not many bios's have the ability to boot from that, so if its something like orphcrack then its a lost cause.