Atheros AR9281 monitor mode

Zalos

Hey so ill give you the lowdown. So i have hamster and ferret and they work well :lol: , but i only see broadcasts like ARPS and my traffic. alright so i thought hmm its not picking it up, so google time. Ah so i need monitor mode to grab everyones traffic, not promiscuous but if i get that mode it will do lol. so my hardware:

qosmio x305-701 - its awsome by the way

OS: Vista x64.... sorry i know unix too but the harddrive is to small for duel boot

WIRELESS CARD: Atheros AR9281

need any other info just lemme know ill be back from work later. i checked madwifi and other sites already and googled for the 3rd day. so i know the steps haha. now i ask for some help. lemme know,

thanks

That made no sense. Run linux inside "cygwin", no. Grab a copy of backtrack and put it on a CD, boot from backtrack. There will be no modification made to the host OS(unless you do so). Also Vector has posted some great windows tools for all of this. Might want to review some past post and look for those.

yes there are some good windows wireless apps that will make your life a little bit easier like dingleberries said. what youll want to do first instead of looking for madwifi drivers, look at the wildpackets drivers. theres three versions for atheros chipsets. your chipset is very new still from atheros so you'll probably find what youre looking for in the v6.0.4.13 atheros driver pack. if not then you may need to install a different card driver from wild packets, maybe one of the ar5008 drivers will work. you might have to tinker around with different wildpackets drivers till you find the one that will work with your chipset if the v6.0.4.13 pack dosnt already include one for your Atheros AR9281. for example i have an AR5006x chipset card but when im using it with commview for wifi i have to install the 5007eg driver or else it bluescreens.

Thanks and the thing i meant was theres a way i remember ubuntu would let u run it in windows some. And i meant cygwin as a way to use some linux like tools and see if it worked in there. Thanks for the ideas. i look for Vectors posts and im looking into the wildpackets site more. also, once my USB drive comes in im looking into switchblade :P

Thanks and the thing i meant was theres a way i remember ubuntu would let u run it in windows some. And i meant cygwin as a way to use some linux like tools and see if it worked in there. Thanks for the ideas. i look for Vectors posts and im looking into the wildpackets site more. also, once my USB drive comes in im looking into switchblade :P

you might be thinking of ndis wrapper. that will kinda let you use windows drivers in linux for your wireless card.

i used that before on an inspirion when i fixed it up with ubuntu. ndis wrapper is nice but wouldnt do what i wanted. But it doesn't matter the tool, ferret, network stumbler, or whatever if Im not in monitor mode correct? i guess ill look into that backtrack more. i only like vista for games since its a gaming laptop i have. but having linux on it too... sweet haha. i never had any luck with duel boot but no harm in research.

Why dual boot when that card is probably supported? Read the dev webpages and see what they say. If it is just grab a copy of BT from the site and burn it to a cd. Its a live cd, NO INSTALL.

If you are however unfamiliar with linux i suggest you read threw the forums for more of vectors post. I have seen tools posted by him that either come almost to par with linux alternatives or beyond.

Berries I'm not sure u understand the original question. It's not the tools I need. It's the driver that allows me to go into monitor mode with my wireless card. No matter what tool I use I only see broadcasts and my traffic. I need to set it so I can see all traffic in my network. I'm looking into the ones at wildpackets. And the AR5006 I am gonna try it out just don't wanna screw up my current driver so I'll get that first.

Berries I'm not sure u understand the original question. It's not the tools I need. It's the driver that allows me to go into monitor mode with my wireless card. No matter what tool I use I only see broadcasts and my traffic. I need to set it so I can see all traffic in my network. I'm looking into the ones at wildpackets. And the AR5006 I am gonna try it out just don't wanna screw up my current driver so I'll get that first.

ok so a couple of things. first if youre only trying to monitor traffic on the wlan that youre associated with then you dont need to use your network card in monitor mode. you should be able to use any arp spoofing tool to redirect traffic to youre adapter. i use promiswitch in windows for scanning and spoofing arp with netresident for reconstructing network traffic. so depending on what network traffic youre trying to see and how youre connected or not connected will decide if you need to use promiscuous mode, monitor mode, non-promiscuous mode, arp spoofing, port mirroring etc etc.

also heres a link to a couple of different atheros driver versions from wildpackets that i uploaded

http://la.gg/v/atheros60413.zip

http://la.gg/v/atheros4229.zip

youll probably find the drivers for your card in the 6.0.413 version