Acer Aspire One 8.9" netbook

driveingnow

I am looking at getting the Acer Aspire One Netbook.

It's a small computer but I only "really" need it for taking notes in class, checking the web, email, little stuff like that.

But what I really want to know is will it run Diablo 2 and/or StarCraft? If it will that is a insta-sell for me.

Here are the specs for it.

Hard Drive Size: 120 GB

Installed Memory: 1024 MB

Processor Brand: INTEL

Operating System: Windows XP Home

Processor Series: Atom

Screen Size: 8.9" Widescreen

Optical Drive Detail:No Optical Drive Installed

Chipset: Intel 945GSE Chipset

Package Contents: Acer One Notebook, 3-Cell Notebook Battery, Power Cord, Power Adapter, Modem Cable, Setup Poster, Wireless Set up Card, Registration/Limited Warranty Card, COA label for Microsoft Software Installation, McAfee Internet Security Suite 60-day insert

Graphics Brand / Model: Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950

Processor Bus (MHz): 533MHz FSB

Memory Type: DDR 533GHz

Energy Compliance: No Energy Star Rating

Processor Speed (GHz): 1.60 GHz

Fingerprint Reader: No Fingerprint Reader

Processor Model: Intel Atom N270 Processor

Weight: 2.19 lbs.

Hard Drive Detail: 120GB 5400rpm SATA Hard Drive

Modem Detail: No Modem Installed

Dimensions: 9.8" (W) x 6.7" (D) x 1.14" (H)

Installed Memory DIMMs: 2 x 512MB

Graphics Memory: Up to 256MB Total Video RAM

TV Tuner: No TV Tuner Installed

Optical Drive: Not Applicable

Processor Cache Size: 512KB L2 Cache

Screen Resolution: 8.9" WSVGA High-Brightness Acer CrystalBrite TFT LCD Display (1024x600)

Networking Detail: 10/100 Ethernet Port

Audio: High-Definition Audio Support, 2 Built in Speakers

Webcam: 0.3 Integrated Acer Crystal Eye Webcam

Card Reader: Multi-in-1 Media Card Reader

External Ports: 3 USB (2.0), 1 VGA Port, 1 headphone/ microphone/ line-out Jack, 1 Mic In Jack

Wireless Compatibility: Acer InviLink 802.11 b/g Wi-Fi Certified

So if anyone has one that they would test for me I would appreciate it.

Thanks.

He registered with the forums on "Thu, 27 Oct 2005". I think he has probably watched the show long enough...

dude your such an idiot....Darren has that netbook...haven't you watched the show???

Hmm, I hear those guys over at Geek Squad aren't too bright themselves...as for calling him an idiot, your comment was neither helpfull or insightfull. Darren has one, yes, but does that mean he should get one just because Darren has one, or maybe he shouldn't because of all the problems Darren had with his. Maybe you should elaborate on the details of your comment and help the guy out instead of making him feel like he did somehting wrong to ask a question!

Maybe just let him know Darren has or had one and direct him to the thread where Darren talked about it. Oh, you didn't know there was a thread, you just assumed it was only something he talked about on the show? You idiot! (See how arrogant that sounds - and it doesn't matter if you knew there was a thread, which I know you did since you posted in it. I'm just trying to make the point about how much of a douche you sound like for calling him an idiot and I'm not actually calling you an idiot, although, I have my doubts otherwise at the moment).

Im running Leo4all on my acer aspire one. On top of that im using VMWare Fusion to run a copy of XP Pro, and Ubuntu Linux. It runs great.

Darren's Review Thread: http://hak5.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=9649&hl=

@driveingnow - If you want a gaming laptop, get a more powerfull, larger screen laptop with all the proper bells and whistles. In my opinion, you will be dissapointed tyring to use the Acer as a gaming machine, just for the smaller screen alone. If you wanted a small hacking notebook that runs well the Acer might be what you want in a netbook, but other than that, don't expect too much out of it. Like their EeePC netbook, the Acer 1 Aspire is more for hacking and modding for specific needs than an everyday run of the mill machine that does lots of other stuff, like play and burn cd/DVD's, games, etc. Newer, bigger, better and more powerfull laptops are out at comparable prices these days, and a lot of them are now coming with built in 3G and GPS, so I would weigh your options and price budget and settle for one that meets all your needs within your price range.

You can do a quick comparison on google and might even find an Acer Aspire 1 for cheaper on there as well if you decide to go with that machine anyway: http://www.google.com/products?q=laptop&am...=en&show=dd

why dont you um... look at the system requirements of the games, and then ummm... look at the specs of the machine.

StarCraft Requirements:

Windows 95/98/NT

Pentium 90 or higher

16 MB RAM

DirectX-Compatible SVGA Video Card

Microsoft-Compatible Mouse

Double-Speed CD-ROM

(Quad Speed for Cinematics)

You could get around the cd-rom issue with an ISO and any number of virtual mounting tools.

Diablo II

Does Diablo II require a 3D-accelerator card?

Diablo II does not require 3D acceleration hardware; however, computers with supported graphics cards will experience additional visual enhancements.

What are the benefits of using a 3D card in Diablo II?

Realistic perspective mode

Improved transparency effects

Improved lighting/shadowing effects, such as colored lighting, and smoother transitions between light and dark areas

Atmospheric effects

Possibly faster frame-rate

What does Diablo II look like without a 3D card?

It looks great and includes substantial graphic improvements over the original Diablo. Diablo II uses a completely new graphics engine with true transparency, line-of-sight lighting/shadowing effects, pixel-by-pixel shading, and a character component system for both player characters and monsters.

Which 3d graphics cards are compatible with Diablo II's 3D Enhancements?

Any card that is fully compliant with Direct3D or Glide should be compatible with Diablo II.

Which graphics libraries are supported?

Diablo II supports DirectX, Direct3D, and the Glide API.

Which Sound cards are supported?

Any sound card supported by DirectX should work with Diablo II.

What 3D sound options does D2 support?

We support DirectSound, Creative Labs's EAX, as well as Aureal's A3D.

I think the Acer is probably more than enough for those two games, but that really isn't the point. It's not really meant as a gaming pc. Diablo II and StarCraft need pretty much nothing other than direct-x to run. They aren't intensive graphic games. But if thats all the games you wanted to play on there, then go for it.

I think the Acer is probably more than enough for those two games, but that really isn't the point. It's not really meant as a gaming pc. Diablo II and StarCraft need pretty much nothing other than direct-x to run. They aren't intensive graphic games. But if thats all the games you wanted to play on there, then go for it.

Thanks digip, that was quite helpful.

But yeah those are the only two games I want to play on it. I am not interested in allot of games and don't have a lot of time to play them, I was just looking for something more than just solitaire to kill time every now and then. (Side note, I am registered with blizzard so I can download a copy of Diablo, Diablo 2 and Starcraft that don't need the CD to run. There is also a update for Diablo 2 that lets you run it with out the CD (Not sure about Starcraft haven't checked))

The main reason I was asking if anyone new if it would be fast enough is cause the benchmarks I have seen for the atom processor show it only beating out a P3 and it did that just barely.

My budget is really limited at the moment, this is mainly just to get me though school for now, then I will look into getting something better and converting this over to a hack/modding/testing/whatever laptop. Plus this is the only computer I have seen at my job that I like that I can get a good discount on. All the others are 17" ones and that's to big and they cost to much.

I haven't read Darren's review yet I will probably do that next.

But thanks for all your help.

We've already been over this on these forums. If Acer doesn't pop it up, look for AAO (Acer Aspire One).

Yeah, for many people they rock. Are you one of them? Dunno. If they have to get out the "Big Drill" at the bowling alley, not for you. If you have vision problems, not for you.

But for the quality and price it's hard to beat them. And don't be a wimp - get the 160g 6cell.