IT Jobs

Learnaseyego

I work in IT, if you can can call ISP tech support "IT". I'm currently studying many diff areas of IT but focusing on security. I hope to get a more "hands on" position, unfortunately the company I work for only wants to promote you to leadership positions like supervisors and managers ... pfft .. i'm no manager .. I'm technical, I like being technical, but alas no path to a higher level of tech support other than being a script-monkey. :P

Cool... Iv thought about getting into security too, but I am in school right now for web design. Probably wouldnt be a good idea for me to try to do both at the same time, its bad enough by itself.

Good luck with your studies

im currently back at college for computer programming, i already have a computer forensics degree but jobs in that field are few and far between so i went back... i really like forensics and want a job in that area it sux that i cant get one yet. as for certs i have none but i want to get some.

i recommend if you have the chance for an internship when in college take it. if you are a good intern then most likely they will offer you a job at the company(how most students are hired at my college)

i also do computer repair on the side... one of my clients asked when i was starting my own business but i lack the capital to get it started. plus in this economy i doubt it would last long neway. i charge $40/hr and people have never complained. seems that computers are like cars people want them to run right all the time so they are willing to spend money.

Peace Out

whedgit

^^ thx .. the one thing I've learned about being self taught when it comes to I.T. is that (for me at least) hands on experimenting is the best way to learn. I basically setup diff "home-brew" labs; couple old pcs, some used cisco routers & switchescan go a long way. I try diff configs with routing protocols, diff server software ie: samba, FreeNAS, Xampp, nmap, IDS stuff with Snort, tunneling with SSH & GRE.. etc. I just get creative and have fun ... and let me tell you I've learned ALOT !! First.. find something you love,.. second.. find a way to make money doing it !!

I work for a small IT company and my official title is "IT Subcontractor". I've done everything from cable drops to hardware troubleshooting, malware removal, and even web design. I have also deployed VoIP systems, and maintain firewalls. I pretty much do whatever I can, and if I don't know, I ask for help, or look it up on google while I'm there.

I actually got the job through volunteering. My school was donating computers to an NPO, and after we delivered them all, I was talking to the guy doing their IT work. We talked about servers and VoIP systems for a while, and he asked me to send him my resume. As for education, I don't hold any certifications, only because i didn't go test for them. I am trained in A+, Network+ and Security+, and my degree is Computer Information Systems.

It is not uncommon for people to get jobs through volunteering. Not only is it a great way to meet people who hold good positions in companies, but it also shows that you care about the community, and that you're passionate about what you're doing, which are good qualities that employers look for. Volunteering also looks good on a resume.

I don't work in an IT position as of yet, but am getting there. Certs and such help. I think everyone keeps blabbing about how great Cisco certs are so I am eventually after those on my road to a career in IT. I currently have CompTIA's A+, Network+, and Security+ certifications. I took my net+ and sec+ on the same day within a 3 hour period. Something I wouldn't recommend anyone do. Concentrate on one at a time is the best. My A+ took me basically when I think about it 2 years to finally obtain. Speaking of iternships with the government I think I will get this oppurtunity next summer so I hope for the best...

I'm currently going to school for a degree in computer science. Like many others before me here have said, it isn't always the degree that is the determining factor. Heck, with the newest Net+ passing requirements I probably wouldn't have passed due to me studying for multiple stuff at the same time, but I do believe that if anything getting degrees/certs is a confiendence boost, and the ability to proof to yourself that you are actually interested in pursuing the career and taking the study time it requires to stay current. As a Net+ certified professional I am taking all the necessary steps to review what may have not been famillar to me at the time of my exam. You are doing yourself a shame if all you do is show off your certs/degrees without the knowledge to validate it.

Props to the O.P for an excellent question and the same goes for all those who are currently working in the industry who gave an insightful insight/recommendations.

I am currently studying for my advanced diploma in networking/security and after reading the above I am seriously considering going for my A+ and putting my hand up for some voluntary work to gain further know how.

So yeah thanks everyone once again for giving a n00b some direction.

sheesh

oracle dba

application manager

unix admin

windows admin

mysql dba

now working for one of the biggest internet payment providers

o yeah, also did some lotus admin some time ago

Yeah have a degree here and a degree there. All in all if you wanne go into IT, folow the shows slogan trust your ....

thats what i did and well, it always got me cool projects

Currently I work as a HP warranty Tech, But have taken a consulting job for when I graduate in May. As of right now I have A+, HP Desktop and Laptop Tech, in 8 weeks I will be doing my Net+ and within the next month I hope to take my first test in the long road to become an MCSE.

I work at the IT depatrement of the local university doing database developement, webprogramming and system administration. I've a B.Sc. in computer science.

I have a national diploma in computing and I have worked as internal IT for a software company and now I work at a hosting company doing technical support, but I am now going from MSCE and whatever other training I can get my hands on.

----------------------

Pegasys

i recommend if you have the chance for an internship when in college take it. if you are a good intern then most likely they will offer you a job at the company(how most students are hired at my college)

Definitely! I got into an internship at st. Louis' police department's IT section and because I did a good job they just hired me on as a IT contractor.

I am currently studying for my advanced diploma in networking/security and after reading the above I am seriously considering going for my A+ and putting my hand up for some voluntary work to gain further know how.

A+, MCSC, Sec+, and Net+ are all highly recommended. if you have the time and resources to get it done do it. Before I got hired on as a contractor a network admin I position opened up and I applied for it. one of the things that hurt me the most was I didn't have any certifications, and because I was fairly new to the company (I had only been interning for 3 -4 months).

But yeah I'm a IT contractor I have an associates in Networking and a Bachelors in system security. although school helps and certifications help, it usually depends on "being in the right place ant the right time" or "who you know"

I deal with everything from desk side support to server and architecture projects at a little company called Alcatel-Lucent. I don't actually have any certs and I did an art degree, but once I got my foot in the door this didn't matter. I started answering phones for BT broadband, then got promoted to 2nd line within 2 months, then worked doing external tech support for a webhost which got me into the IT dept of my old university. Got fired from a 1st line job at a fitness club for WAGs for not being service orientated and 4 days later I was hired for a 2nd line team.

My advice to you is that degrees are useful, certs are more so but actual experience getting your hands dirty will beat both of them. Being able to demonstrate that you know what your doing when you get on the ground is vital. I've met people who have ring binders full of qualifications but can't tell you how one might change an IP on Windows without a gui and a team of trained assistants. Having said that, I am on my way towards my MCITP Server Administrator certs now because they are good for your CV.

The most important thing is to learn how to learn quickly. Whats really helped me progress (because IT is hierarchical) is taking on projects I had no initial idea how to complete and being forced to work out how. If you can be flexible and adaptable it will take you far.

...taking on projects I had no initial idea how to complete and being forced to work out how...

I run into this every once and awhile. I thought I was dumb, good to know that it happens to others.