iPhone vs iPod Touch

USBHacker

Hi

Well I have a little predicament.

Where I study, in the city, isn't the safest place to carry an iPhone around. As every time someone calls me, I'll have to take out an expensive item... :unsure:.

So I was thinking that I should get an iPod Touch instead.

So my question to this forum, is as follows;

Will all iPhone applications [specifically security related ones] work on the iPod Touch?

As far as I know, the only differences between them is that the iPhone has the phone feature! (also that the iPod Touch is thinner and lighter).

Please reply!

Thanks in advance,

USBHacker

No.

Developers can specifiy if they want it to work only on one platform. There are some that work only in the 3G for example. Many apps that use microphones will not work, as they haven't been updated to reflect the changes to Apple's new in ear headphones. Location specific apps like Loopt also do not work. Of course, anything that requires the phone wouldn't work.

You could buy some black generic headphones with a headset and use that. This way, you wouldn't have to pull it out. Everyone will think you're talking to yourself, which in turn will keep the baddies away. If you're not on AT&T already, and are more or less pleased with your current carrier, there is no reason to switch.

Hope that helps.

Yes, You are right.All the iPhone apps should work with the iPod Touch.The only apps that won't work are the ones which use the phone feature.

and GPS.

Hmm... thanks.

No.

Developers can specifiy if they want it to work only on one platform. There are some that work only in the 3G for example. Many apps that use microphones will not work, as they haven't been updated to reflect the changes to Apple's new in ear headphones. Location specific apps like Loopt also do not work. Of course, anything that requires the phone wouldn't work.

You could buy some black generic headphones with a headset and use that. This way, you wouldn't have to pull it out. Everyone will think you're talking to yourself, which in turn will keep the baddies away. If you're not on AT&T already, and are more or less pleased with your current carrier, there is no reason to switch.

Hope that helps.

Well I don't use my phone all to much, and if I were to have a headset... well that would defeat the whole purpose of having an iPhone :rolleyes:.

On a strictly security tools basis, do you think it will matter if I get an iPod Touch instead of an iPhone?

Oh, and your comment on AT&T has no impact on me, since I don't live in the US. (in fact I've never been to America!)

So thanks for all your replies, please just answer my most recent question.

Thanks in advance,

USBHacker

Hmm... thanks.

Well I don't use my phone all to much, and if I were to have a headset... well that would defeat the whole purpose of having an iPhone :rolleyes:.

On a strictly security tools basis, do you think it will matter if I get an iPod Touch instead of an iPhone?

Oh, and your comment on AT&T has no impact on me, since I don't live in the US. (in fact I've never been to America!)

So thanks for all your replies, please just answer my most recent question.

Thanks in advance,

USBHacker

I'm not sure what "security tools" you're talking about.

It's worth noting that almost every app will run better on a second generation iPod Touch than an iPhone 3G. The processor is rumoured to be over 100MHz faster.

^Oh oh oh! :huh:

The iPod Touch runs faster then the iPhone?

Well in that case, unless further evidence upon the state of security applications for the iPhone not running on the iPod Touch)...

I will be getting an iPod Touch.

Thanks for clearing this up for me.

USBHacker

PS: If you find out that there are security applications for the iPhone that won't work on the iPod Touch, please tell me ASAP.

I'm interested in what you mean by security apps. I just got a iPod touch on friday :D

Also, Mic apps *will* work if you get the microphone headset from Apple. Most app that can work on both, the developer will allow it for both more money that way.

^Awesome, good on ya!

After reading the wikipedia article, my decision remains unchanged. In fact, I'm even more firmly into the idea of getting an iPod Touch instead of an iPhone.

Mostly because of them both using the same OS.

Well I'll be starting a new topic for the discussion of security applications for iPhone/iPod Touch.

USBHacker

i have a ipod touch 16gb and the reason why i got that instead of an iphone was cuz i did not wanna pay a monthly fee just to listen to music and watch movies. when im out im gonna waste my battery life on watching movies and browsing the internet so i wont really be spending much time making calls cuz i dont carry a charger with me. my phone does what it needs to do and my ipod touch does what it needs to do.

as far as apps go the iphone is better just cuz the apps use the phone, camera, mic and gps