Computer Vibrating

Eviltechie

It's probably a bad fan bearing. Next time it happens just see if you can open the case and locate where the noise is coming from, you can also (gently) place your finger in the middle of each fan to find the culprit. (NOTE: don't stick your fingers in the blades !!! we don't want any bloody stumps around here.) ;)

I have to agree with lnxr0x. I had a computer that did that and it was driving me insane. I took the side of the case of and found that it was in fact a fan, but it like yours wouldn't do it all the time. And remember, it could be worse... It could be and evil server!!!!!!!! NOOOOO!!!!!!!!!! (if you don't understand that, its time to start watching the show a little closer)

Good luck

suspending your components in the case with heavy duty rubber bands is a good way to cut down on noise and vibration.

a pic if you haven't seen this done before.

elasticsuspension.png

Great technique for building silent computers.

Yes very nice thanks for the pic. i shouldve done that

This happens to all the fans in my box when they are below freezing. After a few mins it warms up and we're good to go.

you live in a fuckin igloo?

a pic if you haven't seen this done before.

elasticsuspension.png

Great technique for building silent computers.

That's actually very bad for the drives. A condition known as "the wobbles" can occur where the drive rhythmically wobbles in a circular pattern. This puts stress on the platters and can make it harder for the read heads to track properly (which may, in the worst case, result in write errors). The effect is usually not very pronounced and takes careful watching while the drive is in operation to see, but it does have an effect on the drive nonetheless.

I know I'm going to get responses like "I've been doing this for years and my drives are fine". Good for you, but I can assure you you're probably shortening the lifespan of those drives by putting undue mechanical stresses on them.

... very bad for the drives. A condition known as "the wobbles"... shortening the lifespan of those drives ...

Thanks for the info, I haven't herd of that before. Another option, apart from banding, is using rubber risers. I recommend black carbon bases rubber because it is much denser and it should prevent the condition that you speak of, but also decrease noise. I used this method instead of banding in my computer due to space constraints.