What would your "ultimate setup be"

StarchyPizza

60" or so Pioneer Kuro plasma, 130+" motorized screen to drop down in front for displaying the 1080p projector.

Yamaha reciever, and full B&O speakers for the 7.2(dual subs). All available video sources would be switchable between the projector and plasma. 360, PS3, Wii, and Oppo upconvert DVD player.

One badarse laptop for working while watching movies or travelling. A few TB worth of space on a media server for "purchased" dl'd movies of both SD and HD quality. Full gigabyte network, and a minimum of 10mb connection coming in for internet. Fiber if available(Verizon FIOS anyone?)

All of this in a basement-level dedicated home theater, with some nice home theater type reclining seating.

This is actually the setup I'll be running once we find a house to buy in the town we just moved to. I've got a bunch of the part already. We're buying the Kuro in August or September. I have the servers. I need to upgrade the media server and at least one switch to full GB, the rest can stay 10/100 for a while. We have the Wii and 360, will probably buy a PS3 this year.

Local Usenet Mirror, with 100 day retention. Probably need a very high-speed connection to an internet backbone for faster mirroring. Storage goes without saying. Gig ethernet with lots of hardwire links locally.

Then add a nice recording studio setup for fiddling around with electronic music for months on end. Probably 4-5 iMacs, loaded with software like Pro-Tools, Logic Pro, Ableton Live, Reason, Cubase, and 20-30 of the best hardware synths money can buy, not to mention CDJs, and mixers to play with other peoples tracks.

HI-FI Digital monitoring/Home theater audio setup goes without saying.

I'm going to need one of those multi-touch tables from Microsoft, and top of the line digital photography and video equipment along with some Runco 1080p projectors.

I'll also need a render farm to encode all the 1080p video I take from my many trips to the edges of the earth. An IBM System Z mainframe should be sufficient.

Out back I'm going to need a large RTG (radioisotope thermoelectric generator) to use as a power source.

This setup will be located on the big island of Hawaii, with a fiber link to the Keck observatory for some midnight star gazing. I also require hard links into CIA and NSA databases so I can do background checks on the people that I meet, or research on political issues around the world.

Hm, well I guess that's a start.

Local Usenet Mirror, with 100 day retention. Probably need a very high-speed connection to an internet backbone for faster mirroring. Storage goes without saying. Gig ethernet with lots of hardwire links locally.

Then add a nice recording studio setup for fiddling around with electronic music for months on end. Probably 4-5 iMacs, loaded with software like Pro-Tools, Logic Pro, Ableton Live, Reason, Cubase, and 20-30 of the best hardware synths money can buy, not to mention CDJs, and mixers to play with other peoples tracks.

HI-FI Digital monitoring/Home theater audio setup goes without saying.

I'm going to need one of those multi-touch tables from Microsoft, and top of the line digital photography and video equipment along with some Runco 1080p projectors.

I'll also need a render farm to encode all the 1080p video I take from my many trips to the edges of the earth. An IBM System Z mainframe should be sufficient.

Out back I'm going to need a large RTG (radioisotope thermoelectric generator) to use as a power source.

This setup will be located on the big island of Hawaii, with a fiber link to the Keck observatory for some midnight star gazing. I also require hard links into CIA and NSA databases so I can do background checks on the people that I meet, or research on political issues around the world.

Hm, well I guess that's a start.

Ilove the background check part.

3 - 50' projector screens side by side

3 - 1080p projectors

core i7 (duh), 8gb ram 4tb of hdd in sata 3 raid (w/striping and ecc)

quadsli nvidia GTX 295's

a house big enough for this..

f(k the bullshit. Get a T3 line

a linux server w/ 4tb (same config as desktop) for connected/remote storage

Pioneer SC-LX81 - for surround sound

dunno that damn much about speakers but i read Tannoy Revolution Signature speakers are badass

a mean little laptop (badass but small) for gaming on the go/and etc.