I have a few questions about the iPod touch, can I get some answers?

grs

I still dont understand why anyone would want an ipod touch. I mean for 2-300 dollars you can get a nice ass smartphone that can do everything an ipod touch can do plus a shitload more. i dunno maybe i'm crazy but arent most people going to carry a cell phone with them anyways? why carry two seperate devices? in my opinion ipod touch is a ripoff waste of money. and the iphone is just plain played out.

I would have to disagree, the iPod touch is really good. It has a very good browser (although the lack of flash is bad), the email client is damn good and its a good mp3 player. In all honesty its a better PDA than any Palm device I've owned. However, iTunes is utter crap and Apple expect you to pay for updates (Zune updates are free). If you want a MP3 player that also works as a PDA, get one, its a nice toy.

But, having said all that I don't use mine for music much these days. I have a Nokia E71 and coupled with bluetooth headphones and a 8GB mini-SDHC card its far more useable than the iPhone imo.

I would have to disagree, the iPod touch is really good. It has a very good browser (although the lack of flash is bad), the email client is damn good and its a good mp3 player. In all honesty its a better PDA than any Palm device I've owned. However, iTunes is utter crap and Apple expect you to pay for updates (Zune updates are free). If you want a MP3 player that also works as a PDA, get one, its a nice toy.

But, having said all that I don't use mine for music much these days. I have a Nokia E71 and coupled with bluetooth headphones and a 8GB mini-SDHC card its far more useable than the iPhone imo.

i agree vako, the ipod touch isnt bad, but for the money you can get a nice smartphone with tons more features, better browser options, better screen resolution, better camera, better sync options. and youll have access to more apps and youll be able to customize and configure it better. theres just no comparison.

The difference I have found between the iPod touch and any other pda or smart phone is that the touch is actually very usable and has an excellent user interface. You can actually do useful things on it without getting frustrated and you can work with it for a long time.

The geek in me says "I agree there a more fully featured options", but the art student part of me just says "Look at the thing, its a beautiful device that does a few simple tasks very well". Plus the touch was £190 and the Nokia was £320, I would expect it to be better. I also have a Nokia n810 which thanks to recent software updates is now far better than the touch, far more extensible and runs linux. When I got it, the touch beat it hands down, so thanks to apples policys on pricing the touch has stagnated and the nokia has come on leaps and bounds.

If you want a great web browser and music/video player then the iPod Touch is the best option.

I'm not sure why some of the others here think the browser isn't as good as smartphone browsers..., if anything it's far better, with the only downside being the lack of cellular data.

Since music/video are it's primary functions, you wanna make sure it's a useable experience. Plenty of smartphones and even dumbphones can play music stored off a card, but it's a painful process to use, sync, and organize. Music players in phones are usually terribad (thankfully this is changing) and the interfaces are slow and sluggish. The screen is huge and the resolution is great for videos.

Gaming, is meh at best..., there a few diamonds in the rough (Rolando, MotionX Poker, and Topple to name a few).

To the poster that said you can get more apps on a smart phone must have not logged into the App Store recently..., :S There are thousands if I'm not mistaken, and most of them are $9.99 and under, compare that to Handago......., and the App Store looks like a very attractive option.

Where do you have your music already? If it's in iTunes, I doubt you'll find a better music player out there.

---------------------

I AM an apple fanboy, so take what I say with a gain of salt.

The music player on the E71 is actually quite nice, especially considering its a business phone and not a consumer model. I just drag and drop the files onto the card, start the player and it adds everything to its library. Sound quality is good. I haven't tried videos on it, but in all honesty its a tiny screen and I know that the iPod will be better.

As for applications, there are lots of them, but the top 10 lists just seem to give me things my nokia came with for free or things like iFart or a spirit level application. I really don't like the amount of control apple wants to have over their kit after they have sold it, which is why my iPod was jailbroken at 1.5 and hasn't been updated since. I will still maintain that the ipod touch (and iphone) are just expensive toys. Very nice to own if you have the cash, but just toys.

If you want a great web browser and music/video player then the iPod Touch is the best option.

I'm not sure why some of the others here think the browser isn't as good as smartphone browsers..., if anything it's far better, with the only downside being the lack of cellular data.

Since music/video are it's primary functions, you wanna make sure it's a useable experience. Plenty of smartphones and even dumbphones can play music stored off a card, but it's a painful process to use, sync, and organize. Music players in phones are usually terribad (thankfully this is changing) and the interfaces are slow and sluggish. The screen is huge and the resolution is great for videos.

Gaming, is meh at best..., there a few diamonds in the rough (Rolando, MotionX Poker, and Topple to name a few).

To the poster that said you can get more apps on a smart phone must have not logged into the App Store recently..., :S There are thousands if I'm not mistaken, and most of them are $9.99 and under, compare that to Handago......., and the App Store looks like a very attractive option.

Where do you have your music already? If it's in iTunes, I doubt you'll find a better music player out there.

---------------------

I AM an apple fanboy, so take what I say with a gain of salt.

Apple isnt the only game in town when it comes to super pimp user interfaces.my HTC phones are a good example. the htc touch diamond runs windows mobile 6.1, has a superior touch interface (touchFLO 3d) accelerometers, 528mhz processor, opera and IE for browsers, both of which play flash vids without a problem, 3.2 megapixel cam, and a vga front cam for video calling, wifi, bluetooth (and tons of bluetooth services like ftp, DUN, media remote, etc etc) a 640x480 resolution compared to the ipods 320x240, gps, 3g,hsdpa (up to 7.2mbps data rate) gsm and cdma capabilities, completely programable voice commands for calling or launching apps, etc etc etc, the list goes on. alsotheres a few benefits to using windows media player to sync your media, number one you can have your media files automatically transcoded to your devices specifications. so if i have a movie that i want to sync to my phone that is 1500kbps bitrate and 1920x1080 resolution for example it will automatically convert it to play on my phone, this way i dont need to have double copies of my media (one for the computer and one for the phone) taking up space. this is something that itunes just dosnt do. i can basically do anything in WMP that someone can do in itunes, but one benefit i have over itunes is that i can also drag and drop files to and from my phone or just send them over bluetooth. one drawback i suppose is that it only has 4 gigs of internal memory, but thats not really a big deal beacuse i can stream any files i want straight from my home server over a data connection, so actually i have unlimited space if you think about it.

and if you think theres not a shit load of windows mobile apps you better take a closer look. WM has been around for quite some time and theres more apps than you can use or even install on a WM phone, not to mention the java apps that you can also run. the windows office mobile suite apps are nice also, never know when you might need to throw a powerpoint preso together with your phone. basically its far more customizeable and versatile than an ipod touch could ever be. shit like gps tagging your pictures so that you can upload them to google earth, and being able to use it as an IP phone, or a wireless ip camera, are some of the reasons why i say a nice smartphone is a far better choice. see the thing about fanboys is that they usually jump on the bandwagon and get what everyone else has. just because everyone has one dosnt mean its the best device bang for your buck. i just recently got the HTC touch HD also and that just completely pwns every mobile device out right now, but of course it did cost alot more than an ipod touch.

so i guess what im trying to say is that, if youre going to carry a cell phone anyways, then why not pass on the ipod and get a super pimp cell phone that does it all and then some.

Apple isnt the only game in town when it comes to super pimp user interfaces.my HTC phones are a good example. the htc touch diamond runs windows mobile 6.1, has a superior touch interface (touchFLO 3d) accelerometers, 528mhz processor, opera and IE for browsers, both of which play flash vids without a problem, 3.2 megapixel cam, and a vga front cam for video calling, wifi, bluetooth (and tons of bluetooth services like ftp, DUN, media remote, etc etc) a 640x480 resolution compared to the ipods 320x240, gps, 3g,hsdpa (up to 7.2mbps data rate) gsm and cdma capabilities, completely programable voice commands for calling or launching apps, etc etc etc, the list goes on. alsotheres a few benefits to using windows media player to sync your media, number one you can have your media files automatically transcoded to your devices specifications. so if i have a movie that i want to sync to my phone that is 1500kbps bitrate and 1920x1080 resolution for example it will automatically convert it to play on my phone, this way i dont need to have double copies of my media (one for the computer and one for the phone) taking up space. this is something that itunes just dosnt do. i can basically do anything in WMP that someone can do in itunes, but one benefit i have over itunes is that i can also drag and drop files to and from my phone or just send them over bluetooth. one drawback i suppose is that it only has 4 gigs of internal memory, but thats not really a big deal beacuse i can stream any files i want straight from my home server over a data connection, so actually i have unlimited space if you think about it.

and if you think theres not a shit load of windows mobile apps you better take a closer look. WM has been around for quite some time and theres more apps than you can use or even install on a WM phone, not to mention the java apps that you can also run. the windows office mobile suite apps are nice also, never know when you might need to throw a powerpoint preso together with your phone. basically its far more customizeable and versatile than an ipod touch could ever be. shit like gps tagging your pictures so that you can upload them to google earth, and being able to use it as an IP phone, or a wireless ip camera, are some of the reasons why i say a nice smartphone is a far better choice. see the thing about fanboys is that they usually jump on the bandwagon and get what everyone else has. just because everyone has one dosnt mean its the best device bang for your buck. i just recently got the HTC touch HD also and that just completely pwns every mobile device out right now, but of course it did cost alot more than an ipod touch.

so i guess what im trying to say is that, if youre going to carry a cell phone anyways, then why not pass on the ipod and get a super pimp cell phone that does it all and then some.

But if the OP was looking for a phone, they would have said that.

i personally like the ipod touch... and the finger air hockey game it THE SHIT but anyway... the speakers it comes with are kinda gay

me and my friends were trying to huddle around it and watch some stupid video and we could barely hear it... the interface is great its pretty and very very user friendly...

id personally go for a phone you can do so much more with them... but make sure your getting something that isnt craptastical

I had a look at smart phones before, to use them here in Ireland, as a phone requires a phone contract that is far too expensive for the use I would make of it.

Do all apps have to be payed for or are there other people making free ones?

Sorry about the double post, I`m using a Japanese keyboard and keep hitting the wrong keys!!

In all honesty, if you want a MP3 player that can browse the web, do email and run a few applications*, get one. They're nice bits of kit and I doubt you will be disappointed. True, you can do more with a Nokia or Windows Mobile smart phone, but for what the Touch is, its very good. iTunes is an acquired taste however.

(* some are free, but you will need an iTunes account either way unless you go with jail braking)

I have an iPod already so I probable wait a while anyway, till bigger storage is available. I`ve never been able to try a smart phone to see if I like. There not to common in Ireland and the shops never keep them in stock to try.

I`m in Tokyo at the moment, everyone here has smart phones and there on them non-stop!

I still dont understand why anyone would want an ipod touch. I mean for 2-300 dollars you can get a nice ass smartphone that can do everything an ipod touch can do plus a shitload more. i dunno maybe i'm crazy but arent most people going to carry a cell phone with them anyways? why carry two seperate devices? in my opinion ipod touch is a ripoff waste of money. and the iphone is just plain played out.

Some people are not lucky enough to live in the US where they can get smart phones for a reasonable price. I will probably be buying a iPod touch nextweekend. I would love to get a iphone, But I will not pay the prices here.

Here's a iPhone plan for rogers. + 3 year contract.

20090112-mscku4tj55xq6tbj1q5478h3mg.png

I don't carry a cell, I use my touch with a bluetooth adapter and one of the sip phones, I route that through a proxy. They can trace a cell back to you, and track your movements. I've worked will Cells since we were fucking with the Oki900 and there are a lot of things they don't tell you. For instance the only way to shut a phone off is to remove the battery. If there is no physical switch that means there is an active circuit somewhere. You can figure out the rest. netphones are the way to go for privacy and security conscious individuals.

I don't carry a cell, I use my touch with a bluetooth adapter and one of the sip phones, I route that through a proxy. They can trace a cell back to you, and track your movements. I've worked will Cells since we were fucking with the Oki900 and there are a lot of things they don't tell you. For instance the only way to shut a phone off is to remove the battery. If there is no physical switch that means there is an active circuit somewhere. You can figure out the rest. netphones are the way to go for privacy and security conscious individuals.

Touch what? iPod? It has bluetooth? Probably most of us here no what they can do with cells, but I have nothing to hide from so I'm not worried.

Does the iPhone have a camera in it? I suppose the iTouch will get one sometime?

iPhone has a 2MP fixed focus camera. I don't think the touch will ever, ever, get a camera. The iPhone and iTouch are so similar, they use that as a differentiation.

if you don't mind a slightly less intuitive UI, then you could get a dell axim x51v then you can get the free TCPMP and you will have support for almost every video and audio format so theres no need to worry about converting or transcoding the videos.

a 16GB sd card is only $25 http://www.amazon.com/Transcend-Class-Flas...7703&sr=8-1

and a 32GB is around $80-99, I recommend 2 16GB drives though since it is cheaper and it is plenty of storage

and as a + you have support for the opera browser which gives you flash support and tabbed browsing as well as every other iphone browser feature

believe me, tabbed browsing is good to have for a mobile device

and there many networking tools and scanners for pocket pc's

if you don't mind a slightly less intuitive UI, then you could get a dell axim x51v then you can get the free TCPMP and you will have support for almost every video and audio format so theres no need to worry about converting or transcoding the videos.

a 16GB sd card is only $25 http://www.amazon.com/Transcend-Class-Flas...7703&sr=8-1

and a 32GB is around $80-99, I recommend 2 16GB drives though since it is cheaper and it is plenty of storage

and as a + you have support for the opera browser which gives you flash support and tabbed browsing as well as every other iphone browser feature

believe me, tabbed browsing is good to have for a mobile device

and there many networking tools and scanners for pocket pc's

yeah but then he wont be trendy and cool like all the other kids.