Windows 7 Upgrade ?

L337G33K

First here are my PC Specs

Core 2 Quad 2.6ghz,2 Gb DDR2 Mem,XFX Nvidia Geforce 8600GT and I'm currently running Windows XP.

Now for the question.Is the beta release of Windows 7 stable and usable?That I can install it as the lone OS without XP.Do Windows Vista and XP Apps work in Se7en?

Please gimme suggestions.

It'll be stable and usable, or they wouldn't release it for beta, but it won't have the driver / application support you might expect from a retail version. I wouldn't put my high spec pc in the hands of an unfinished operating system.

Also, I've never used a beta before, don't they expire after x months or something?

Its basically Vista R2, so it will run fine on that kit. More memory is always good with the 6.x windows builds but its not that important in the scheme of things (4GB+ is the sweetspot with Vista x64). It will probally be fine for the majority of things, but it will expire and some apps/drivers might not install/run properly. Basically its going to be fine for a secondary system but until its released Vista will probally be a better choice for your main system.

Also, I've never used a beta before, don't they expire after x months or something?

The Beta will stop working on August 1, 2009. To continue using your PC, please be prepared to reinstall a prior version of Windows or a subsequent release of Windows 7 before the expiration date. You won’t be able to upgrade from the Beta to the final retail version of Windows 7.

Straight copy n paste from their site XD

Yea, really wouldn't bother running Windows 7. I got 7000 build around the time it was leaked, just to have a look around. Looking promising in some areas, got rid of a load of crap that Vista had and didn't need and nobody wanted, manages system resources much better too. I would recommend running it as a virtual machine rather than installing over your current OS. Using like Microsoft Virtual PC 2007, simple and easy to use, and free.

Yea, really wouldn't bother running Windows 7. I got 7000 build around the time it was leaked, just to have a look around. Looking promising in some areas, got rid of a load of crap that Vista had and didn't need and nobody wanted, manages system resources much better too. I would recommend running it as a virtual machine rather than installing over your current OS. Using like Microsoft Virtual PC 2007, simple and easy to use, and free.

I installed vista 7 on my acer one - ran pretty well, maybe better than ny curfrent vista install. If it were not for the wifi drivers not working within the time I spent trying, I'd have considered leaving it as the primary OS.

I'm enjoying windows7 quite a bit. I've had it installed for almost a week now. All of the vista drivers work fine on windows 7 for my laptop, and all of the programs that I had running on vista work fine on seven! Not much has changed from vista. The new start bar thing is nice, and some other small visual tweaks but other than that and the increases in performance it's about the same.

So my recommendation is if you have vista already installed and working 100% you should be mostly safe trying out 7. People coming from XP may face more problems.

A few notes,

Remember how they changed the networking panel from XP to Vista, well they did it again from Vista to 7. (Makes me want to punch babies) Also the only glitch that is annoying me is after a restart 7 wont connect to my home workgroup until I Change a open the network settings panel and change any setting and hit apply, So I just put my laptop into suspend instead.

the error fixed it's self after an update.

I'm planning on using it as my now primary OS.

Remember how they changed the networking panel from XP to Vista, well they did it again from Vista to 7. (Makes me want to punch babies) Also the only glitch that is annoying me is after a restart 7 wont connect to my home workgroup until I Change a open the network settings panel and change any setting and hit apply, So I just put my laptop into suspend instead.

the error fixed it's self after an update.

I hate every network adapter been represented by a single icon in the system tray. Unless you are a mac that doesn't work.

I am have been running Vista since it was in beta, like most of microsofts products it (like all thinks) has some problems. Remember way back when 2000 and XP where release? they where also a pile of crap till updates and fixes where developed and applied.

I downloaded both the 64-bit and 32-bit versions of Windows 7. I first installed the x64 on my laptop ( by mistake actually, grabbed the wrong disk.) Install went fine on my HP 6730b running with 3 gig of ram and Intel Core2Duo 2.26 GHz processor. after installing any updates(yes two days after beta release there are updates) i opened the task manager to see how the resources where running. Why cant Microsoft seem to get x64 memory working? with the laptop running idle and not even having any apps installed it was setting steady at 1.67 Gig of memmory used. Reinstalling with the 32-bit version i was running better at only 678MB of memmory used at idle.

I am running the os on the laptop full time and using it on the network at work. so far the only app i have found that does not install with out an error is Daemon tools. It is nice that the message tells you there are known issues and ask if you want to continue or cancel the install. Really the only complaint i have so far is IE8 (not a fan) good thing Firefox installs with no issues. Really i think that Windows 7 will be a inprovement from Vista with even more features and many of the faves (yes there are some faves). It will be a definate inprovement over the what is seeming to be ancient look and feel of XP. let face it you can only drive the car your grandma left you so long then you have to get a new one.!