Docu - Hackers are People Too

kickarse

I watched it and thought it was fairly bad and watched it a second time the other day and my view still stands. The people they talked to were really not a good section of the "community" and the few people on there that were fairly bright really did not have much worthwhile to say. I'd say the person interviewing them was largely to blame for this.

This is really more of a film about people with social disorders.

I'd say download it and by all means watch it, but don't expect much.

I watched it and thought it was fairly bad and watched it a second time the other day and my view still stands. The people they talked to were really not a good section of the "community" and the few people on there that were fairly bright really did not have much worthwhile to say. I'd say the person interviewing them was largely to blame for this.

This is really more of a film about people with social disorders.

I'd say download it and by all means watch it, but don't expect much.

I almost agree with that statment, but I think it at least does one thing, and gets the point across that "hackers are people too". In otherwords, they are no different than the rest of us +/- their skills in the area of all things tech. Some of the people sounded whiney, like their little scene had been invaded, but others were more or less accepting of people and liked how they come together from all walks of life to work on projects and learn from one another.

If you have spent a great length of time on the forums here, its almost like a mirror of what I see on here all the time(In respect to the social aspect). As for the person filming and doing the interviews, I'd say, she is not at fault so much for the way it turned out since the answers she got were not scripted ones she gave them to say. It is what it is, but no more insightfull as to the life of a hacker. Con's are only one area of hacking culture, and not all hackers go to them. I think the video just shows one dimension to the life of hackers and how they like to socialize, meet new people and learn from others, but it does nothing to really dive into the life of any individuals.

If it had been more like a following of 3 or 4 individuals, their every day life, what they do for a living, etc, then it might have been more meaningfull. Not so much reality tv, but maybe more realistic in that sense.