Mag-stripe readers

coyotepedia

This could lead to a very useful idea that I think a lot of people would go for. I use a USB card swipe reader I got for free for taking credit cards (looks exactly like the one in iaxai's post). I use a web-based credit card processing company, so I tell their website to get ready to accept data from the USB, swipe the card, and bingo ... the card data is ready to be submitted securely. So it's just a script running on a webpage. I've used this on several computers and never needed to do anything special to set up the USB card swiper.

Seems like somebody should be able to make a script that runs on a web page so you can have a little browser open that waits for a card swipe to occur. The beauty of this is that, once the little web page is available for download, anybody with the cheapo/free USB card reader would be up-and-running as long as the computer they hooked it up to could run a browser that could run the script.

A think client hooked up with USB card reader could have a lot of good applications, both commercial and plain old fun.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, time for me to confess to a facepalm moment; since I started this thread, I've taken another stab at compiling sephail's software. It turns out the reason I couldn't get it to go before had to do with the dependancy, libsnd-dev. I had tried to install it onto my Ubuntu box from command line. It turns out that Ubuntu has a package available called libsndfile1-dev, and once I found that through a package manager gui, dab.c and dmsb.c both compiled just fine. I can't report any successful reads just yet, but that may have to do with what I'm using for a read head. I've tried scavving a head out of one of those MP3 through a cassette deck adapters, but since it's intended to be a write head, my confidence in the idea isn't huge. Said confidence has also dwindled in the failure to read a damn thing from it, even trying with audacity to just record the info and process it through the software after the fact.

reading with the mp3 to tape adapter works fine although you get better results if you take the capacitors out.

I can get consistent reads but you need to set the sensitivity(using the max levels function). I NEED A WRITER NOW!!!

Could someone please help me design this. Ill post pics later.

• 2 months later...

says this>

This file is neither allocated to a Premium Account, or a Collector's Account, and can therefore only be downloaded 10 times.

This limit is reached.

To download this file, the uploader either needs to transfer this file into his/her Collector's Account, or upload the file again. The file can later be moved to a Collector's Account. The uploader just needs to click the delete link of the file to get further information.

---------------------------

tnks again., if u can, send it to my e-mail> demian.w00f@gmail.com

i'll really apreciate it.

bye.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
I have had success reading and decoding some data from magstripes using a head from a tape player. I used a head from an old car tape deck, so it is stereo and also able to read from both halves of the tape (so there are 4 coils total - l/r side 1 and l/r side 2). I connected one of the coils to a stereo jack, plugged it into the PC's microphone input and used Audacity to record .wav files.

I saw some significant differences between different PC's - some work and others do not. Using a multimeter, I measured the voltage from the microphone jack and found that sometimes the left channel (mic input) is 0v and the right channel is 5v, on another PC the left channel is 0v and right is 3.3v, on another left is 2.5v and right is 2.5v, on another left is 3.3v and right is 3.3v. Success varied between the different machines.

Usually the data is noisy - it takes several card swipes to record valid data. The amplitude of the signal is very low, so there is a lot of problems with noise. Also, on one of my PCs the signal was slightly offset, which combined with the low amplitude made it impossible for Sephail's decoder software to work. (but it does work with recordings from another PC)

I wrote my own version of a magstripe .wav decoder, it only understands track 2 data (BCD), and is not the cleanest code (but its purpose is just a learning tool for me, so that's ok). RapidShare link: http://rapidshare.com/files/237139289/mag-20090201.zip.html

The above RapidShare link also includes a sample.wav file that I recorded. (it's from track 2 of a Staples merchandise card)

So far I have only tried using one magnetic head - I suppose there is a difference in gain, etc, between different heads. I also haven't tried any kind of amplification circuit between the magnetic head and the sound card - a proper amp circuit would probably take care of a lot of the problems between recording on different PCs. (the only downside is that it is more complex - it is pretty cool that with only the magnetic head and a wire to go to a sound card, it's possible to read a magnetic stripe - it doesn't get much simpler than that)

A couple of things that may help others: the faster you swipe a card, the higher the amplitude of the signal (stronger signal). I have to do quite a fast swipe to get legible data. On the other hand, swiping very fast means there will be fewer samples of each bit - I set Audacity to record at 96 KHz (instead of 48) to double the sampling rate.

The 'Card-O-Rama' article from Phrack 37 seems to be THE reference on magstripes - most of the pages I read about magstripe decoding have referred to that document. It explains everything needed to decode magstripe data.

Photos of my magstripe reader, on flickr - I taped the magnetic head to the side of a piece of wood (or edge of desk) and then use a book as a straight edge to slide the card. It's not so easy to get a perfect swipe, but it is simple to setup and allows any track or unusal stripe placement to be read. (a little duct tape and it becomes a proper Red Green magstripe reader ;))

(edited 2009-02-27 to update expired rapidshare link)

(edited 2009-04-27 to update expired rapidshare link)

(edited 2009-05-25 to update expired rapidshare link)

could you please update the wav decoder

Ok, this is a bit confusing for me. With magnetic card readers so inexpensive now. You can get some surplus for less then $10. I got mine free from a manufacturer, back when companies gave out free samples. I have to ask why are people trying to re-invent the wheel? Cheap hardware is out, not only readers that decode the standard tracks but also ones that export track 3 data in raw format.

So, what is everyone doing with their card readers? I mean cards that are interesting (hotel keycards, etc) use non-standard encoding.

Just curious.

i couldnt get the mag box open but for a split second and it closes out ? after that how does the recorded file in audacity get to the box if i manage to get it to stay up

The mag.c program is a console app, you need to run it from the command line. The command "mag decode sample.wav" will output: ";6006491630003757904=161211069586096?4".

mag.c is quite limited, it only understands track 2 data, I wrote it as a learning exercise - don't expect a lot from it. (but if it helps you understand how the data is stored on a magstripe, great!)

I have to ask why are people trying to re-invent the wheel? Cheap hardware is out, not only readers that decode the standard tracks but also ones that export track 3 data in raw format.

I don't know about anybody else (I'm quite surprised how many people have downloaded the file from my post in this thread), my interest in this was just to see how easy it was to read magnetic data with a magnetic head.

I agree that buying a reader is a better way to go about reading the data from most cards. But I still like to be able to do it this primitive way, just 'because I can'. :)

So, what is everyone doing with their card readers? I mean cards that are interesting (hotel keycards, etc) use non-standard encoding.

Just curious.

Well, I've gotta say that most of the card readers that I've come across are more like $40-50. Worse than that when I started this thread, actually. I've also just been generally jazzed on the homebrew reader idea ever since Sephail gave his MetroCard talk at HOPE 6. Putting all that aside, the thing I really want to take a look at is the contents of drivers license stripes, although I've accumulated quite a few other cards that I'll be taking a look at when I lay hands on a reader, whether homebrew or manufactured.

if it's just card cloning , I dabbled with this many years ago , using an old tape to tape recorder, you pull out the heads (keep everything connected) and then mount them to a peice of wood or alike, place a back on it so the card will swipe passing by the tape's head and by placing the orginal on the (play head) and the blank on the (Record head) by swiping them across at the same time you can clone them. (you have to fiddle with the volume of the recording head and i found i had to swipe them across the the heads a good few times , these were also basic till logon cards so they weren't packed with information. but it worked and we didn't have to spend 50 pounds on the refund cards that we only had one of due to them going missing.

The mag.c program is a console app, you need to run it from the command line. The command "mag decode sample.wav" will output: ";6006491630003757904=161211069586096?4".

mag.c is quite limited, it only understands track 2 data, I wrote it as a learning exercise - don't expect a lot from it. (but if it helps you understand how the data is stored on a magstripe, great!)

I don't know about anybody else (I'm quite surprised how many people have downloaded the file from my post in this thread), my interest in this was just to see how easy it was to read magnetic data with a magnetic head.

I agree that buying a reader is a better way to go about reading the data from most cards. But I still like to be able to do it this primitive way, just 'because I can'. :)

Ok the just because I can, is valid. After all I programmed a Motorola in assembler to decode the raw flux reversals, in forward and reverse swiping directions and then displayed the data on a serial display.

If you want a cheap reader watch ebay and the business section of craigslist for POS terminals. You'll need an off brand name for to get less then $50. Anything from Magtek is pricey.

• 2 weeks later...

I never really expected to still be working on this ten months later, but I finally have a working reader. An outrageously cheap Magtek reader came up on eBay, so I ended up buying instead of building. Over the next few days I'll be brushing up on my C++ to come up with something to make the output a little easier to analyze. I'm not ruling out building a reader as well, since six of the several dozen cards I'd stored up against the day when I had a functional reader seem to be in nonstandard formats, beyond the capabilities of the reader I bought. For those of you still working on similar projects, I found a quick reference on the relevant ISO standards;

http://www.cyberd.co.uk/support/technotes/isocards.htm

Thanks for all the input. I'll try to remember to report back on my future successes (or lack thereof).

ok i got a handful of successful reads through the mic jack but i was wondering if i get the start sentinel and account number then the = and the expiration and end sentinel could i use an encoder to clone a card with just that information?

No. The track 2 information also requires a PVN (pin verification number), CVV, and several dummy digits. The only way to really clone a card is to get a track 2 reader on ebay (25-40 bucks) and copy and paste what you read off the card.

• 3 weeks later...
I have had success reading and decoding some data from magstripes using a head from a tape player. I used a head from an old car tape deck, so it is stereo and also able to read from both halves of the tape (so there are 4 coils total - l/r side 1 and l/r side 2). I connected one of the coils to a stereo jack, plugged it into the PC's microphone input and used Audacity to record .wav files.

I saw some significant differences between different PC's - some work and others do not. Using a multimeter, I measured the voltage from the microphone jack and found that sometimes the left channel (mic input) is 0v and the right channel is 5v, on another PC the left channel is 0v and right is 3.3v, on another left is 2.5v and right is 2.5v, on another left is 3.3v and right is 3.3v. Success varied between the different machines.

Usually the data is noisy - it takes several card swipes to record valid data. The amplitude of the signal is very low, so there is a lot of problems with noise. Also, on one of my PCs the signal was slightly offset, which combined with the low amplitude made it impossible for Sephail's decoder software to work. (but it does work with recordings from another PC)

I wrote my own version of a magstripe .wav decoder, it only understands track 2 data (BCD), and is not the cleanest code (but its purpose is just a learning tool for me, so that's ok). RapidShare link: http://rapidshare.com/files/284934800/mag-20090201.zip.html

The above RapidShare link also includes a sample.wav file that I recorded. (it's from track 2 of a Staples merchandise card)

So far I have only tried using one magnetic head - I suppose there is a difference in gain, etc, between different heads. I also haven't tried any kind of amplification circuit between the magnetic head and the sound card - a proper amp circuit would probably take care of a lot of the problems between recording on different PCs. (the only downside is that it is more complex - it is pretty cool that with only the magnetic head and a wire to go to a sound card, it's possible to read a magnetic stripe - it doesn't get much simpler than that)

A couple of things that may help others: the faster you swipe a card, the higher the amplitude of the signal (stronger signal). I have to do quite a fast swipe to get legible data. On the other hand, swiping very fast means there will be fewer samples of each bit - I set Audacity to record at 96 KHz (instead of 48) to double the sampling rate.

The 'Card-O-Rama' article from Phrack 37 seems to be THE reference on magstripes - most of the pages I read about magstripe decoding have referred to that document. It explains everything needed to decode magstripe data.

Photos of my magstripe reader, on flickr - I taped the magnetic head to the side of a piece of wood (or edge of desk) and then use a book as a straight edge to slide the card. It's not so easy to get a perfect swipe, but it is simple to setup and allows any track or unusal stripe placement to be read. (a little duct tape and it becomes a proper Red Green magstripe reader ;))

(edited 2009-02-27 to update expired rapidshare link)

(edited 2009-04-27 to update expired rapidshare link)

(edited 2009-05-25 to update expired rapidshare link)

(edited 2009-09-25 to update expired rapidshare link)

can you please upload again the wav decoder?

Thanks