How to recover windows vista passwords....

Zach

Hey all! My friend has a laptop running Windows Vista. There is one account on it: his. Unfortunately, he forget his password! I know it sounds idiotic and it is. I have tried and tried from searching google to trying out commercial apps to recover his password without any success. The reason is because I need a bootdisk that will crack his passwords without windows or I need a program to crack his passwords without the need of his password. I have already tried Ophcrack will 2 different tables and without success. Resetting the password is NOT an option here. He has EFS encrypted data on his computer so no....resetting. I would appreciate everyone help's, so please help me. Help me Obi Wan - err I mean Hak 5 your my only hope.

Hey all! My friend has a laptop running Windows Vista. There is one account on it: his. Unfortunately, he forget his password! I know it sounds idiotic and it is. I have tried and tried from searching google to trying out commercial apps to recover his password without any success. The reason is because I need a bootdisk that will crack his passwords without windows or I need a program to crack his passwords without the need of his password. I have already tried Ophcrack will 2 different tables and without success. Resetting the password is NOT an option here. He has EFS encrypted data on his computer so no....resetting. I would appreciate everyone help's, so please help me. Help me Obi Wan - err I mean Hak 5 your my only hope.

First, slap him for been a silly bugger, and explain that he fails at computers. </satire> Then, if the password is a difficult password (that is, it isn't a word) then brute force ftw. If you have a nVidia graphics card I'd use that with the NTLM cracker mentioned in this weeks show, and leave your computer on for a very long time.

You used the Vista tables for Ophcrack right? Because the XP tables only crack LM hashes while the Vista tables crack NT hashes. Ophcrack supplies bigger, more elaborate, tables for special chars but they cost money. There is also http://insecure.org/sploits/l0phtcrack.lanman.problems.html for bruteforcing LM/NT passwords but if the regular Vista Ophcrack tables didn't work for you then don't expect to crack his password via bruteforce anytime soon...

The best way to do it is a reinstall. Microsoft obviously will not help (I know). More than likely if you cannot guess the password or wait 3 days for the password to be cracked (Depending on the complexity) you have no other choice. Have them write it down next time and store the written password in a safe.

Just to teach him a lesson format it anyway and tell him thats what happens when you forget your password. Also don't forget in some states password cracking software is illegal. However, if that is not going to stop you then my hats off to you.

Edit: Here is a link to some password recovery tools: http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolsofthetr...assrecovery.htm

What you do with these tools is your responsibility.

Active Password Changer (included for free on Hirens* boot disc) will allow you to gain access to the systems admin account. From there you should be able to use any one of the tools google will give you to recover the EFS data.

* Yes, I know Hirens is full of warez, but in all honesty its so useful I don't care. If you have never used it, link, download it today.

Thanks guys for your help! I was watching the latest ep of hak5 and I am really interested in what Darren was talking about. I need to get the hash that is stored on my friends computer. I don't know how to do this, but I know that when I run Ophcrack it automatically shows the MD5 hash, so I'm going to use it to get the MD5 hash. I'll then run BarsWF on his computer from the standard account. I forget to mention he does have one other account - a standard account that can't do jack shit. So hopefully I don't need administrative rights to execute this BarsWF program. If all goes well I'll be able to recover his pwd. Also, Vako: I don't want to change his password as I mentioned earlier because he has EFS encrypted data. But I would like to know of software to gain administrative rights or give admin rights to a standard account without changing pwds. THANKS AGAIN EVERYONE!!!!!!!!!!

No, you misunderstand. You can get access to the system by enabling the admin account and resetting the password, which allows you to login as the administrator. The user account that encyrpted the EFS data remains untouched. This allows you to install software on the system to recover the data that has been encrypted with the forgotten password. Once you have the data back, just reset his password and give him the bill.

edit: where does md5 come into this? Vista uses NTLMv2 hashes...

Vako: Thanks, I'll take your word and I'll try the active password changer. Hopefully it enables Admin account in Vista which is by default disabled for security purposes then I can install Elcomsoft which works beautifully in cracking passwords for Vista or Xp.

Vako: Thanks, I'll take your word and I'll try the active password changer. Hopefully it enables Admin account in Vista which is by default disabled for security purposes then I can install Elcomsoft which works beautifully in cracking passwords for Vista or Xp.

Ophcrack also has a Windows version. But again, make sure you're using the Vista tables because the XP ones will come up with nothing...

I don't know whether this will be of any use but I created a video a while back on how to gain Administrator access to a Vista computer

The video is available Here, you will need to click on "Watch in high quality" otherwise you wont be able to see the commands

I hope that this helps

P.S.

I know that the name of the YouTube account is Talas Keot, but it is me, its an anagram of Satal Keto (as that name had already been taken :()