virus alert

boardbreaker

I just discovered that there is a virus going around disguised as a Microsoft update in your icon tray. I don't know what kind of damage it does but I heard it is bad. If anyone knows more about it please let me know I want learn more about it and to warn everyone just in case you didn't know.

XP AntiVirus (known by many names) is a prime example of what the OP is discussing.

That said, good anti-spyware/virus software is the next best thing.

The other thing is don't trust much of anything on the internet... I personally have not had a probelem with this crap, because I'm not trying to access much other than what I know is usually good. Stuff which is questionable, I use a vm along with software virtualization... Yes, it may be overkill, and it causes things to be slow, but its the only way I try even the most questionable software.

my point is: this isn't much of anything new to the IT world.

;)

i just found out that it slows down your processes and it takes over the internet and when ever i tried going to a different site i get rerouted to a web page with virus or it says its invalid destination

Welcome to the internet :blink:

My point is, if some one is not computer literate enough to avoid this stuff, they fail at the Internet and need to be suspended from the internet for 30 days to help make the internet a better place.

This is only meant satricly, but if this was the law, the internet would actually be a better place.

If you want to waste hours of time then you can pick it out of the system, which is fun to learn about windows with but utterly tedious. If you just want the machines to work again, backup and reinstall.