Fon hacking help

hey hak5 community,

so i just recently bought my FON. it came with firmware version 0.7.0 r4 do i need to downgrade? it was never connected to the internet. Another question. When i try to SHH in to 192.168.10.1 this prompt comes up:

Owner@192.168.10.1's password:

i haven't changed user name or password. i have ran sshenable.html . i cant log in with admin. can anyone help me.

any help is greatly appreciated,

Micah C

Use ssh root@192.168.10.1 so it specifies the user name of root, you should then be able to get in with the password admin.

You only need to downgrade if you can't jail break, as you got ssh enabled you have done the jail break already.

Everything worked great. i just had to change a setting on PuTTY. im following the instructions on DarrenKitchen.net and i have come to step 11. before i plug it in i want to make sure that when Darren says to reboot does that mean to unplug the FON or continue to the nxt step?

The wlan light doesn't come on. Wifi is down till you enable it.

As it says in step 11 "Connect Ethernet between FON and your PC. "

Plug in a cable and continue with step 11

Wew. Here i thought i bricked it! Thanks for the good news. You have probrally had it with me but pleas hang in there. So i plugged in the cable and i ran Firefunk. I got the message "No Packets" for a while. Does my computer have to be plugged in to the internet while i run firefunk? Thanks for your help so far. it has been greatly appreciated.

The internet isn't necessary. You have already downloaded the appropriate files and told the app where to find them. Make sure you follow the instructions exactly, you only get a few second window for it to make the connection to the Fon, if you miss that window you'll have to start that step again (not the whole process, just reboot the fon and Firefunk and try again)

Before you panic about it taking a while, the flashing process can take a long time, I've had it take over 40 mins, just leave it and be patient. If it gets to a couple of hours then assume its bust and try again.

Sorry i guess i was a little anxious about the whole thing. I got Jasager working and Karma is up. Now i have a final question. This is a reaaally noobish question but here it goes. The whole purpose of Jasager it to be man in the middle and if you use hamster and ferret duplicate cookies. So when i go in to my wireless connection manager my newly hacked fon's SSID is now "OpenWrt". Is that normal? Second do i need to hook my newly hacked fon to my router? Give me a basic walk through of how to use Jasager. Thanks so much for the help so far,

Micah C

If you want to be a man in the middle you have to be in the middle of something, if you don't connect to the internet then you are at the end. Have a read through the forum for howtos on ICS, Internet Connection Sharing.

The AP should respond to anything, if you try to connect to an AP called Frog, if karma is on you should get a connection. That is what karma does, it tells the AP to respond to any ssids, not just the one it knows about.

Ok thanks. Now say i have a WRT54G wifi router at home. can i plug my fon in to the router and have it work that way? I tried someting like this but i cant navigate to 192.168.1.1 Do i have to get rid of the Linksys? what do i do if im at a wifi cafe? would i connect to the cafe's wireless and use Jasager's Eathernet port?

You have two options, either bridge the wired and wireless networks and then make sure the wired side of the bridge is connected to something connected to the internet, that is ICS. Most people here are doing it with windows but it can be done by plugging directly into a router as long as you set the ip addresses yourself.

The other option is routing, I wrote up how to do that on another thread. It is a bit harder to do so I suggest you go with ICS first, get that working then move on if you want to learn more.

In a coffee shop you'd probably do ICS through a laptop which is sat on the shops wireless network. The other options is direct through a mobile which offers ICS.

Ok. so i need to bridge the connection. I tried that and when i do my computer dosn't recognize my Ethernet. Second i cant navigate to 192.168.1.1 while connected to linksys router. Would i need to change ip for fon? if so how would i do that?

3173567295_93b1241428.jpg

I thought i did until i realized there was 7 pages for this topic. Im such a retard lol. So sorry to put you through that. Anyway i found two posts that especially helped:

http://hak5.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=10955

Also referenced here:

http://hak5.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=10658

It sounds like its not a matter of bridging connections but allowing the wireless to share its internet with Ethernet. I have set this up but i am still locked out of the fon. the fons ip: 192.168.1.1 is not accessable especially when the internet connection is shared. matter of fact there is not even a defult gateway when i check the status of my Ethernet connection. I heard i might need to change some ip's. I have no clue how to do this. Any ideas?

Hey,

Im still waiting for some answers but i have another question regarding the fon's internet. When i plug my fon in to my laptop directly the internet light doesn't come on and i cant access 192.168.1.1 . But if i plug the fon in to my hub then the hub to PC then the fon's internet light lights up and i can access 192.168.1.1 . Whats the deal with that?

If you are using a straight through cable you'll need to have a hub/switch between the devices, if you want to plug the two directly you'll need a crossover cable. Most devices autodetect now but sounds like your PC doesn't.

The fon is a router: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethernet_crossover_cable