Fast User Switching When I Close My Lapton Lid on Windows XP

master1228

Hey Hak5 crew and fans

I'm using WinXP SP3 and I like using the Fast User Switching feature when friends come over so that if they want to use my laptop, they only get access to files available on a limited user account I created instead of my admin account, but there are many times when I forget to switch users and just close my laptop lid.

When I go into the power management options, in the Advanced settings, there are pull down menu options for "When I close the lid of my portable computer," but the only options by default are "Do nothing" and "Stand by."

Is there a way to set my laptop to Fast User Switch (the shortcut is "Windows Key + L") whenever I close my laptop's lid, so it will switch back to the Welcome screen and someone has to log in to use the computer?

Thanks!

Hey Hak5 crew and fans

I'm using WinXP SP3 and I like using the Fast User Switching feature when friends come over so that if they want to use my laptop, they only get access to files available on a limited user account I created instead of my admin account, but there are many times when I forget to switch users and just close my laptop lid.

When I go into the power management options, in the Advanced settings, there are pull down menu options for "When I close the lid of my portable computer," but the only options by default are "Do nothing" and "Stand by."

Is there a way to set my laptop to Fast User Switch (the shortcut is "Windows Key + L") whenever I close my laptop's lid, so it will switch back to the Welcome screen and someone has to log in to use the computer?

Thanks!

There isn't a "Lock when go into Stand By" mode?

I can only remember Windows locking out to the login screen, which is exactly what you want. Why yours doesn't work, I have no idea.

But it seems that this is already answered.

From my other post...

Hi all! First post! Anyway, I recently made an application that will lock XP (currently XP only!) when you close your laptop lid, as long as in Power Options > Advanced > "When I close the lid of my laptop" is set to standby. :P

P.S.: It won't allow the computer to standby when you close the lid, instead it locks the PC.

Download!

if you set the power options to put your computer into standby mode when you close the lid then go into user accouts in control panel you'll see that you can change the way users login. when the computer resumes from standby you can have the welcome screen popup where they can just click on the Guest accout to log right in.

if you set the power options to put your computer into standby mode when you close the lid then go into user accouts in control panel you'll see that you can change the way users login. when the computer resumes from standby you can have the welcome screen popup where they can just click on the Guest accout to log right in.

That's what my application does, except the PC doesn't standby.

WOW, thanks Sparda and motionman95! That was exactly what I needed. I didn't think it'd require a custom built program, I was expecting to have to manually edit one of the Windows system files or something. Just setting this program to load at Windows startup is MUCH easier!

WOW, thanks Sparda and motionman95! That was exactly what I needed. I didn't think it'd require a custom built program, I was expecting to have to manually edit one of the Windows system files or something. Just setting this program to load at Windows startup is MUCH easier!

Thanks, glad it worked for you!

Thanks, glad it worked for you!

motionman95, do you have a website of your own that explains why you created this MonitorState program and how you created MonitorState? I have a tech site and I want to write about this program you wrote. I can link to the download link you gave me, but I'd love to give you some press about it, especially if you have other projects/programs you've also created.

Thanks again.

motionman95, do you have a website of your own that explains why you created this MonitorState program and how you created MonitorState? I have a tech site and I want to write about this program you wrote. I can link to the download link you gave me, but I'd love to give you some press about it, especially if you have other projects/programs you've also created.

Thanks again.

As a matter of fact, I have quite a few applications I've developed, and I'm currently working on creating a website to host them. Maybe, for now you could just link to the download and my email? I'll contact you again when my site's up, if that's okay. Also, BTW, I have a version that I will fix a few glitches I've noticed and if you give me a few minutes I'll post it.

Here's the link to the updated version, with a few bug fixes.

Download.

motionman95 [at] yahoo.com

The link doesn't work anymore. Well, I'm on Vista anyway...

But thank you for your job. Many people out there are looking for a way to lock a computer on lid closure (google and you will see), so if you could develop your app further, it would be highly appreciated.

How about making it work with Vista for a starters? :)

The link doesn't work anymore. Well, I'm on Vista anyway...

But thank you for your job. Many people out there are looking for a way to lock a computer on lid closure (google and you will see), so if you could develop your app further, it would be highly appreciated.

How about making it work with Vista for a starters? :)

Sure. I'll work on it!

EDIT: I'll need you to beta test!

Also, here's the updated download link:

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?ohzni2kztjq

Sure. I'll work on it!

EDIT: I'll need you to beta test!

Also, here's the updated download link:

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?ohzni2kztjq

Ronx, if I'd highly recommend you beta test the Vista version, it really helps the process and motionman95 is great.

Also, motionman95, let me know when you're ready with a vista version, your XP version really helped me out, but I have a lot of people who are running Vista who would want to try this and could help you beta test it as well.

• 2 weeks later...