Linux Love

Debianrulz

Really? How did you get all of your family and friends off of Windows? I still get bothered constantly about fixing computers. It's good money though, one friend gave me $100.00 to run his restore CD.

well thats easy when there windows breaks you put fedora/debian on it with the programs they use i.e msn open office vlc and so on then a quick 10 minute lesson and your done

well thats easy when there windows breaks you put fedora/debian on it with the programs they use i.e msn open office vlc and so on then a quick 10 minute lesson and your done

... though this in theory could be true. I would be too afraid to do it (to people who can contact me :L)

You know recently I've had a lot of conversations about this issue with several people and I'm going to post something here that I think everyone needs to hear.

Free=Choice

YOU can choose, linux or Mac OS or windows.

You can choose, linux that uses some closed source software(Ubuntu) or a complete open source system(Dynebolic)

You can choose, to pay for your OS or to steal it or to use free software

You can choose, to flame or not to flame

Everyday, we are faced with a deluge of choices and which OS to run is only one. Of course for some of us that decision is under constant review.

I personally run Vista on my Desktop, Mac OSX on my brand new macbook that my job purchased for me(with 128gb SSD :-) and Linux Mint on my personal laptop.

The greatest thing Richard Stallman and Linus Turvalds did, was allow the community to make a choice.

I'm not a coder, I'm a System's Admin and this is my Manifesto. You may flame me, but you can't flame us all.

I could not agree with you more. On every point you are 100% correct. But please understand that with the freedom of choice comes responsibility and that you are the sum of your choices so those choices say a lot about you, everything in fact. If you choose to steal your OS, you are a thief with little or no moral fiber and no self respect, Kant taught us the we should universalize every choice and understand that if it is not ok all of the time in all situations then it is not ok in the present one. Please don't steal software, music or anything else from anyone unless you believe it is ok for everyone to steal everything from everyone else all of the time in all situations, it's hypocritical and ignorant to do otherwise and don't encourage others to steal or present theft as an honest choice, it's sleazy. If you must use windows, mac os or any other commercial system please purchase a legal copy from an authorized vendor.

I could not agree with you more. On every point you are 100% correct. But please understand that with the freedom of choice comes responsibility and that you are the sum of your choices so those choices say a lot about you, everything in fact. If you choose to steal your OS, you are a thief with little or no moral fiber and no self respect, Kant taught us the we should universalize every choice and understand that if it is not ok all of the time in all situations then it is not ok in the present one. Please don't steal software, music or anything else from anyone unless you believe it is ok for everyone to steal everything from everyone else all of the time in all situations, it's hypocritical and ignorant to do otherwise and don't encourage others to steal or present theft as an honest choice, it's sleazy. If you must use windows, mac os or any other commercial system please purchase a legal copy from an authorized vendor.

What about Apple with their whole, The only way to get OSX is to buy our hardware crap. OSX86 is making leaps and bounds EVERY DAY to enable OSX on intel AND NVIDIA hardware, because apple is basically shutting us out of their loop. Hell i'd buy OSX if I could use it on my system, and im sorry Im not BLOWING an extra $1200 more for a system LESS capable than one I can build just to use a f*cking OS.. oh yeah, pretty doesnt mean shit to me.. sry. flame if u want. care=not.

And with the prices of windows these days, ranging from $100 XP SP2 for system builders, and to start on the vista front @ $200 retail for VISTA BASIC, to over $1000 for server 2008, dont tell ME about stealing shit from people, these people are gangraping everyone else.

Now I understand that piracy (at least in light of the microsoft prices) is what led to the hiking of prices for O.S. but remember too that piracy at that time had alot to do with people building their own systems, or even that it would be beneficial to them to just upgrade their systems instead of buying new ones. Now computers are a nickle and dime type of thing, and thats why probably not much OS is being pirated these days.

but the piracy that does happen these days, are because of people who arent going to stand for these super high ass prices for jumbled peices of sH*t software that need to be patched as soon as you get it off the shelf and is never properly stable, nor efficient *vista reference*, nor secure, NOR ARE THEY GOING TO GIVE YOU THE NEXT VERSION FOR FREE CAUSE THEY F*(KED UP THE LAST ONE! (very vista reference there.)

In short Quit Hatin'

High, I'm A PC,

And Im A Pirate...

Were a happy couple ya kno!~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Last but not least:

I dont condone piracy, but I have to learn all the bases as it were. Im not rich. Im not a fanatic about any operating system, especially lately.

guess what, someone comes up to me with a macbook pro, and has a problem with i dunno, whatever something on it (never used a macbook before) and says hey fix it, guess what, I dont know how, I look like an idiot, and there goes some cash out the window. If I downloaded a copy to test it out *with the basis that it worked* looked around the gui, got a feel for it, saw where the parameters were for the os, learned how it works, etc, THEN I could say YES! I can fix that peice of shnit you paid too much for! LOVELY! and so there is a happy ending.

I have only pirated ONE (1) operating system in my life, and it was Windows XP, no service pack, made into two cd-r's one bootable, but uninstallable, the second installable but not bootable. (It was truthfully the only OS I wished I would have paid for, but I did get three new computers with XP on them recently...)

Got it from a friend of a friend, a long long time ago. As of now, anything I want is available to me online through the MSDN shop, through my school for free (and yah, i have Visual Studio 05, 08, Server 03, 08, Vista Business 32, and 64 bit, AND vista business SP1, etc.etc.etc. mucho thousands of dollars in software completely legal) but at the time, the price for xp was about... i think it was around $300, I couldnt afford a new pc (at the time if you remember couldnt get one for any lower than I think $900) and I was a Gateway service tech. We had no info whatsoever on the O.S. People would call in and we just crossed our fingers and hoped it wasnt an xp call cause we had no idea where shit was or anything. think about that.

BTW, how the hell did we get on the whole piracy subject?

Debianrulz:

I completely agree with you. We are the sum of our choices. And because of that each one of us is different in some way. The best way to convince others not to steal their software or music is to show them by example.

And when asked explain your view and reasoning calmly and rationally.

Living in a Kantonian world would be one of absolute moral righteousness. We don't and because of that, there will always be a tug of war in any community of people of those who understand and those who sail rudderless on a sea of existential choices.

To anyone who cares: Use free software, It's better and you'll feel better using it.

If you don't believe me that it's better, read: The Cathedral and the Bazaar by Eric Raymond

Debianrulz:

I completely agree with you. We are the sum of our choices. And because of that each one of us is different in some way. The best way to convince others not to steal their software or music is to show them by example.

And when asked explain your view and reasoning calmly and rationally.

Living in a Kantonian world would be one of absolute moral righteousness. We don't and because of that, there will always be a tug of war in any community of people of those who understand and those who sail rudderless on a sea of existential choices.

To anyone who cares: Use free software, It's better and you'll feel better using it.

If you don't believe me that it's better, read: The Cathedral and the Bazaar by Eric Raymond

True, Kantian ethics are not perfect, but some of it applies and is practical. After all, my mom, and probably everyone else's too, taught us to "do undo others as you would have them do unto you' and our moms learned that from the bible. And, even though I am an atheist I don't disagree with most of the philosophical teachings of the bible and that particular one is one I will teach my son.

This has gotten really heavy for a Linux thread...

sry bout the commento-aggrivato... blah im a bastard BAD hexskrew BAD!!!

hey how about this, lets just turn into a pos+ thread :D

I do love freeware, and Linux is a great example of that, hell I just cant wait for my wifi card to be properly implemented into the kernel, and a good flash client from adobe, and then ill be running linux 4 life :D

well, i have an ath5k wifi card so it's not really the software but the driver implementation, and i have not tried what you are proposing, but have tried all the drivers that are 'supposed' to work with the card, but it's still kinda new, but it seems older atheros cards are fully supported AND some newer ones are fully supported, i think someone just kinda stepped over it without thinking that it was so wide spread (at least to my understanding it is anyways) either that or the community agreed that it would probably work with the driver set as defined for most of the ath cards.