Trojan/Virus Help! How do I get rid of this?

ACBobby

Sorry, I wasn't sure of whether or not to post this here or in the Questions forum, so sorry if it's the wrong place.

I downloaded a game and it was loaded with junk, it seems like I removed most of it, but there's still a nagging program somewhere trying to put trojans inside my two hard drives. The trojan itself is a Generic!atr and the program keeps trying to put it in the root hard drives as "autorun.inf", I've done what I can, but I just can't seem to get rid of it.

Sorry, I wasn't sure of whether or not to post this here or in the Questions forum, so sorry if it's the wrong place.

I downloaded a game and it was loaded with junk, it seems like I removed most of it, but there's still a nagging program somewhere trying to put trojans inside my two hard drives. The trojan itself is a Generic!atr and the program keeps trying to put it in the root hard drives as "autorun.inf", I've done what I can, but I just can't seem to get rid of it.

I'd reinstall Windows, and then scan any files you kept with various different scanners. Clamwin and AVG just to name two.

Antivirus is good for catching stuff on the way in...that's how i look at it.

Once the nasty is on your machine though, there's only one solution.

Back up your data and then erase and reinstall windows..it's the only way to be sure.

All other methods are just treading water.

in my experience...once your infected....purge...it's that simple.

dicking about in your registry, thinking your going to solve the problem is just an exercise in frustration.

virri today are far too complex most of the time.

if you find something and your able to remove it....that's the krud they wanted you to find

backup format reinstall doo dah, doo dah

still i stick to my opinion... yes they are complex!, but to infect they have to be loaded into memory some how... ie

before explorer is loaded, after it is loaded, running it from a startup program, running it from the scheduled tasked, run as a service, so on an so forth. so once you format it you will know where to find it,,, and you will get a better understand of your operating system.... but if you dont really care about all of this just format!!

Oh and a word of caution back up all your important data before you do anything to your registry

still i stick to my opinion... yes they are complex!, but to infect they have to be loaded into memory some how... ie

before explorer is loaded, after it is loaded, running it from a startup program, running it from the scheduled tasked, run as a service, so on an so forth. so once you format it you will know where to find it,,, and you will get a better understand of your operating system.... but if you dont really care about all of this just format!!

Oh and a word of caution back up all your important data before you do anything to your registry

A root kit would prevent you from been able to discover any of this.

Its like this, when you first start you just format because you don't know what else to do. So you start learning how to remove things like viruses, spending hours picking them apart to learn how they work and how to remove them. Eventually you realize that its faster to just reinstall the system having learned that the data and the OS are seperate. However all the hours you wasted might come in useful for something else.