Iphone instead of blackberry

IC3

hi,

i was recently watching some hak5 videos (i am a HUGE fan) and i noticed how darren used his blackberry with his computer for fon. So, i was wondering is there maybe a way to utilize the iphone in the same way. Also i was a little confused on what was going on with the blackberry. and in depth what was really going on with the blackberry (i dont understand how the wifi was being transfered from the blackberry to the computer through the ethernet cord).

this is my first post ever and i have not been able to take that much time to write this, but it is just killing me to know!

cheers,

IC3

im not sure about the crackberry. but my htc phones have the option to work as an ip phone. i havent actually used this feature and i probably wont ever need to but its there.

hi,

i was recently watching some hak5 videos (i am a HUGE fan) and i noticed how darren used his blackberry with his computer for fon. So, i was wondering is there maybe a way to utilize the iphone in the same way. Also i was a little confused on what was going on with the blackberry. and in depth what was really going on with the blackberry (i dont understand how the wifi was being transfered from the blackberry to the computer through the ethernet cord).

this is my first post ever and i have not been able to take that much time to write this, but it is just killing me to know!

cheers,

IC3

His phone was connected to the internet via either 3G or EDGE so that any clients that connected to his fon still had internet access

thanks very much! just one more question though. Darren connected his blackberry with a ethernet cord. Is it possible to do something of the sort with the iphone to do the same job as the blackberry?

cheers,

IC3

Are you sure it was ethernet? what episode was this?

it was the session hacking episode. i was mistaken it was a USB cable, but since the iphone connects with their version of the USB cable will it be same (not sure if apple cord acts as a USB cable)?And if so what steps should i take?

Cheers,

IC3

p.s. thanks so much for at least responding and being helpful i really appreciate it

it was the session hacking episode. i was mistaken it was a USB cable, but since the iphone connects with their version of the USB cable will it be same (not sure if apple cord acts as a USB cable)?And if so what steps should i take?

Cheers,

IC3

p.s. thanks so much for at least responding and being helpful i really appreciate it

Ok what your talking about is tethering the Iphone. ATT does have plans in the works that will allow your phone to tether, for an additional fee.

However, if you've jailbroken your iphone there are applications you can download for free and do exactly what darren did wirelessly.

I've presonally done this many times and it works out great. If anyone wants more info on how to do this, PM me.

You have to pay extra to use your phone as a teathered modem??

Vako, not if you jail break your iphone. But with any other phone, yes. This includes att and verizon. If course there are always ways of getting around this fee.

thanks so much again. what is the app called? if i plug in my iphone to my computer with the "apple" usb cable and teathered mode is on wil it do the same job as the blackberry did is the session hacking episode?

cheers,

IC3

thanks so much again. what is the app called? if i plug in my iphone to my computer with the "apple" usb cable and teathered mode is on wil it do the same job as the blackberry did is the session hacking episode?

cheers,

IC3

You need an application called "iphone Modem" or "PDA Net"

You should really research each of those applications, just search for them on google, you'll get lots of info.

Vako, not if you jail break your iphone. But with any other phone, yes. This includes att and verizon. If course there are always ways of getting around this fee.

This dosnt include att. ive used att for many many years and ive never paid extra to tether any of my phones.i have the unlimited 19.99 data plan and as long as your phone has the feature (some carriers will lock that feature out but i have not seen att do this to a single one of their phones yet) you can tether it all day every day. at one point it was my sole form of internet connection and i would use it alllll the time tethered to my laptop. usually its the carrier that will lock down and cripple the phones features, i know sprint is really had with this and verizon in the past has been vary bad about doing that even to the point that youre not able to transfer files via bluetooth and ive even heard some stories of non verizon bluetooth headsets not working with some phones.

this is why i usually buy unlocked phones, and mainly HTC phones. also a umts handset will allow you to use your internet/data service while simultaneously making or receiveing a phone call sending text or whatever else. so even though youre with att if you dont have a umts handset you cant use voice and data at the same time. it dosnt matter if youve unlocked/jailbroken your phone or not. but just to clarify there isnt an extra fee to tether your phone. the function is built into the phone att has nothing to do with it all att sees is data minutes being used they dont know if youre tethered to your laptop or browsing the web on your phone.

I have an iphone and I can assure you that there is no "legitament" way to tether your iphone, whether that restriction is because of att or apple is unclear. Regardless, there have been rumors of a plan to make it possible for the iphone.

Jailbroken iphones have had this capability for some time now with the use of open source software.

I'm sure that win mo users or blackberry users may have a different way of getting around the fee from att, but the official word is that you have to pay for tethering services.

As far as verizon goes, there is an additional fee as well. Of course I'm sure there are way to get around the fees as I previously stated.

Also, when speaking about the iphone, we must be very clear when referring to "jailbroken" and "unlocked" phones. There is a big difference.

I have an iphone and I can assure you that there is no "legitament" way to tether your iphone, whether that restriction is because of att or apple is unclear. Regardless, there have been rumors of a plan to make it possible for the iphone.

Jailbroken iphones have had this capability for some time now with the use of open source software.

I'm sure that win mo users or blackberry users may have a different way of getting around the fee from att, but the official word is that you have to pay for tethering services.

As far as verizon goes, there is an additional fee as well. Of course I'm sure there are way to get around the fees as I previously stated.

Also, when speaking about the iphone, we must be very clear when referring to "jailbroken" and "unlocked" phones. There is a big difference.

yes i shouldve been clear youre correct when you say that youre supposed to pay for tethering. you technically are supposed to tell them if you want to tether your phone so they can charge you more for the same data. but if you just get the basic unlimited data plan they will never know the difference. so yes you are right about the fees, but they only charge you the fees if you tell them what you want to do. the best thing to do is just add the package you want online and never bother speaking to a rep. theyll try to charge you out the ass. i know places like verizon in the past have suspended your data if you go over a certain amount but ive never encountered this with att/cingular.

hi everyone. i am still a little confused on how to use the iphone as the blackberry. are there any tutorials? also in another episode when Darren was using the pineapple. he had to have his nintendo ds around other people. what was this doing. and i have a ds at my disposal. is there any way i can do this? are there any tutorials for this?

cheers,

IC3