hp mini-note vs. aspire one

vector

ok so i'm sorta into the whole netbook thing. i've had two hp mini notes and aboslutely love them. i just got my aspire one today. which is actually for my 3 year old son to play with but i thought i would play with it a little first.

upon first opening the box i first noticed how cheap the aspire one felt when i picked it up. like a flimsy kids toy it seems the whole case is constructed out of cheapo plastic. not like the hp minis entire brushed aluminum case. i got the saphire blue aspire but im sure it will be scratched all to hell and look like shit in no time. the touch pad seemed a little bit more responsive than the hp mini but i dont like how small the touch pad buttons are and how they are slightly recessed. this makes them harder to click than the hp mini. the keyboard feels very cheap much like the rest of the case but its actually not bad to type on. i also noticed the lack of a 54/34 express card slot. which is a big bummer, but it does have multiple media card slots which is ok i guess. the screen resolutions are 1200x800 (hp) 1024x600 (acer) which is a noticable difference on the same size screen. the hp's screen is much crisper and clearer and offers more desktop space to work with. other than that i havent compared the two that much i'll post again later with some real world benchmarks and other tests.

IMAGE_161_1.jpg

quizimg.png

I own the HP 2133 and a Dell Mini 9, I find the HP to be a little slow at points, but its a really nice design and the higher resolution screen is a killer feature. The dell has a strange attitude to the keyboard, I find it infuriating but my gf is fine with it. The HP's keyboard is far better.

I also thought the Aspire was way to plastic-y, feels like a toy.

I own the HP 2133 and a Dell Mini 9, I find the HP to be a little slow at points, but its a really nice design and the higher resolution screen is a killer feature. The dell has a strange attitude to the keyboard, I find it infuriating but my gf is fine with it. The HP's keyboard is far better.

I also thought the Aspire was way to plastic-y, feels like a toy.

yeah the mini note runs really hot also.

:blink: you bought a notebook for your 3 year old son... what is he going to do with it? all i can see in my head is him smashing it and spilling juice... o.o

well theyre pretty cheap. and hes been using this old compaq presario 1200 with ubuntu on it. hes pretty good with hardware he knows basically that they aret typical toys, hes always watching me on the laptop, he'll even get paper towels and clean the monitor and shit on his own. but i wanted to get him a little something better that he can do disney shit on and other kiddy programs and these are the perfect size for him, i didnt want to give him one of my mini notes because i paid too much for them and i use them (well the one that isnt broken) all the time. i mean for 400 bucks it will be something he can use and learn on for a few years. and if it breaks no big loss.

well theyre pretty cheap. and hes been using this old compaq presario 1200 with ubuntu on it. hes pretty good with hardware he knows basically that they aret typical toys, hes always watching me on the laptop, he'll even get paper towels and clean the monitor and shit on his own. but i wanted to get him a little something better that he can do disney shit on and other kiddy programs and these are the perfect size for him, i didnt want to give him one of my mini notes because i paid too much for them and i use them (well the one that isnt broken) all the time. i mean for 400 bucks it will be something he can use and learn on for a few years. and if it breaks no big loss.

smart kid...

smart kid...

well thats what im hoping. i just dont want him being some dumbfuck that dosnt know how to turn on a computer thats all. im not trying to be one of those braggy assholes thats all like "ZOMG LOOK WAT MY KID CAN DOO" but i mean the technology is the future so i gotta get him properly prepared for that shit. i want him to be the only 2nd grader that can build his own gaming rig.

HP has a new Mini note now which is much faster and produces less heat. It is the best netbook or whatever you wish to call it about.

care to give anymore details on that. i might need to get one.

care to give anymore details on that. i might need to get one.

Look on http://www.shopping.hp.com

Intel® Atom Processor N270 (1.60GHz)

Choices:

8.9" diagonal WSVGA LED BrightView Widescreen Display (1024 x 600)

10.2" diagonal WSVGA HP LED Brightview Infinity Display (1024 x 600)

Choices:

8GB (Solid State Drive Flash Module)

16GB (Solid State Drive Flash Module)

60GB 4200RPM PATA Hard Drive

my current mini note has better specs its got 120 gig 7200 rpm drive with 2 gigs of ddr2 800 and a 1200x800 reso 8.9" screen built in bluetooth a/b/g wifi (even though its crappy broadcom it still works good) 10/100/1000 network. i mean its a pretty bitchin machine.

my current mini note has better specs its got 120 gig 7200 rpm drive with 2 gigs of ddr2 800 and a 1200x800 reso 8.9" screen built in bluetooth a/b/g wifi (even though its crappy broadcom it still works good) 10/100/1000 network. i mean its a pretty bitchin machine.

Yes but the main reason people were not buying them was they were using a VIA C7, that has now been replaced, which has improved the speed and power consumption. The only thing the new ones need is 2gigs of ddr2 and maybe a replacement Atheros based a/b/g/n card.

Yes but the main reason people were not buying them was they were using a VIA C7, that has now been replaced, which has improved the speed and power consumption. The only thing the new ones need is 2gigs of ddr2 and maybe a replacement Atheros based a/b/g/n card.

yeah i cant actually do a valid comparison because my mini runs vista business and the acer runs a fresh install of xp home, but i gotta say the hp mini is faster in alot of areas even things like pulling up firefox and switching between browser tabs are faster. i dont think a netbook with a much slower hard (4200 vs 7200) drive less ram (1gig ddr2 533 vs 2gigs ddr2 800) and a slower system bus (533 vs 800) is going to outperform just because it has the overrated 1.6ghz intel atom vs 1.6ghz via c7-m. now i know you know the difference metatron because you arent a newb face. but most people run around screaming "ZOMG INTEL ATOM ITS TEH BEST GET IT GET IT" but they dont even look at the rest of the system specs.

yeah i cant actually do a valid comparison because my mini runs vista business and the acer runs a fresh install of xp home, but i gotta say the hp mini is faster in alot of areas even things like pulling up firefox and switching between browser tabs are faster. i dont think a netbook with a much slower hard (4200 vs 7200) drive less ram (1gig ddr2 533 vs 2gigs ddr2 800) and a slower system bus (533 vs 800) is going to outperform just because it has the overrated 1.6ghz intel atom vs 1.6ghz via c7-m. now i know you know the difference metatron because you arent a newb face. but most people run around screaming "ZOMG INTEL ATOM ITS TEH BEST GET IT GET IT" but they dont even look at the rest of the system specs.

lol, well I've had a few boards that use a VIA C3 and I have a Mini Note (they had a sale on Misco) and I like them, but I think overall Intel make a better low power/heat processor.

Capture018.png

lol, well I've had a few boards that use a VIA C3's and I have a Mini Note (they had a sale on Misco) and I like them, but I think overall Intel make a better low power/heat processor.

that i do agree with.

The problem with the new mininote is they forgot to keep the higher resolution screen, loosing the one thing that actually made it stand out from the rest. The new mini note looks good, give it a 720p screen and I would buy one straight away.

just bought an acer aspire one for my wife, and it's the first netbook we have owned... Now she's pissed cause I wont quit playing with it. *It's so cute!* dont know anything about the other netbooks but we bought this one for 350 at walmart, and it's worth that for what it does. I enjoy it, hope your child does too *ps. like you I cant stand people who dimwhittingly think that every single thing their kid does is SOOOOO SMART. I dont have kids, but I would like to and I know people with really smart kids, but it's just like... "Hey my hard drive is faster than yours" kinda talk when your talking about your child, it's a child not a car or a peice of hardware or a big screen tv... just hate ovrbraggerz....

All the atom systems are pretty much the same, 1GB DDR2, 1.6GHz Atom N230 processor, Intel graphics running a 1024 x 600 screen.

Personally I like the mini-note more, but the mini9 i have is a better machine. The atom processor is faster, especially when it comes to multi-tasking (hyper-threading comes in here). The mini-note has trouble with youtube videos for instance. But i only have the 1.2Ghz mini-note.