Help with an rca input security camera.

armadaender

I've obtained a cheap audio/video security camera and I'm curious as to some interesting things to do with it.

My initial idea was to use it for it's intended purpose but I don't have an external video card/tv tuner (for my laptop) nor know of any applications that can utilize the camera and enable record on motion sensing and whatnot. If anyone knows of an external tv tuner that could utilize the camera and an app that could use it as an ip camera (much like metatron's security set-up if you recall that forum discussion) or anything else interesting, I would greatly appreciate.

164645972_91ce33fb16.jpg

It's not wireless, a (what looks like) mini-din ps/2 cord plugs into the back of the camera.

Are you sure the PS/2-like socket isn't composite or S-Video? What operating system are you using? I made a sort of makeshift motion detection solution with ImageMagick's compare and mplayer, then mencoder to record. That was with a second hand Hauppauge card (can't remember the model, it's a BT878 card) which was connected to an old video camera via an RCA cable. This was on FreeBSD.

I don't know a particlar brand of software, but a 30 second google shows a variety of programs which can take a video feed, and watch for changes.

One thing you will need is s-video in... which I've only seen on TV cards, capture cards/kits and ATI all-in-wonder cards. Not sure if you laptop will have one built in, but we'd need more info on that. If it doesn't you'll need some kinda gizmo/pcmia card to get the inputs you'll need.

One thing you will need is s-video in... which I've only seen on TV cards, capture cards/kits and ATI all-in-wonder cards. Not sure if you laptop will have one built in, but we'd need more info on that. If it doesn't you'll need some kinda gizmo/pcmia card to get the inputs you'll need.

Yeah, my laptop doesn't have an s-video in so I'm going to have to find an external capturecard. Thanks for the video feed suggestion. If I wasn't drunk at the time of posting this last night, I would have checked google first.