Just got an XBOX360, any recommendations?

not_anyone_important

Hi, I'm going to buy an 360 Elite but still have an six years old CRT TV. Can anybody tell me if this will work well enough to play or do I have to use one of my 19" TFTs? My budget doesn't allow me to buy an LCD-TV in short time.

many games are almost unplayable on standard definition televisions (fallout3 and dead rising have unreadable text for example)

Get an xBox 360 VGA adapter and play on your computer monitor. I can't stress enough how important it is to NOT get an off brand version of this cable. I have purchased a few from DE and they all have MAJOR interference problems. (this includes the Intec one)

------------------------

If your system is under warranty DO NOT OPEN IT. Keeping your system in a well ventilated area is better than an after market fan. A Microsoft warranty WILL fix your system while a homebrew fix has a chase for failure. If your counsel is ever opened and dies I dont recommend doing the xclamp fix by yourself. My buddy I have seen some of the most horrid attempts to fix 360's ever. (ie: jamming a hand cut sheet of coper between the GPU and the heat sik thats not flat and without thermal paste on one side.) There are many people on craigs list that will fix your 360 locally, often between $20 and $40.

2 mods that I can recommend if your 360 is already opened is the foil mod and adding a cpu fan.

Another tip of you are ever planning on adding extra fans, LED's or cathodes, DON'T DRAW POWER FROM THE DRIVE! This WILL cause your drive to malfunction after time. (burnt motores or damaged drive controller boards.)

Finally if you want to customize your 360, don't be lame, be original. You can make a halo or GTA4 case but do something new, not like this.

Here is my 360. Only cost me $90.(for everything)

A CRT TV's best input will either be RGB over SCART (if you don't live in America) or s-video. RGB over SCART is 'better' than S-video.

Some games (the most well known of which been Dead Rising) are known to have issues when been used on a non-HD TV. Mainly related to text been readable. Using the composite cable that comes with the xbox (or ps3) is the worst way to connect the xbox (or ps3). Get a RGB SCART or s-video cable. Also, check that your TV does support RGB SCART, some don't.

Jonny190 right, Call oF Duty 5 Zombie mode looks very cool. Personally, one of the best things about the Xbox 360 is the ability to make games free for windows,xbox 360 and zune. Microsoft offers a free XNA IDE to build your games with lots of free tutorials to get started. I'm working on a remake of Mario bros 2d. If you pick up the wired usb xbox 360 controller it works in the xbox or your pc and you can program against it using all its functionality. Microsoft does charge a yearly membership to transfer games to the xbox 360 but not for your pc or zune. You can also sell them on Xbox 360 market place.

Tips

-Hack your gamerscore for fun.

-Hack your avatar with a hex editor making your skin color something strange.

-Take your box apart and mod it.

-Hack your clothing availability.

You will need a data transfer kit to do this all.

Suggested games..

-All the old school games available in the market place.

-COD games are fun. Watch for modern warfare 2 soon.

Other..

-Mod your xbox 360 controller with a momentary switch and turn those single firing guns into full auto. Google the schematics.

-Don't firmware flash your drive unless you can stay leet, and its never guaranteed. Instead buy a second console and mod it inCase.

Other than that try out the fun stuff. Guitar Hero is fun for awhile. Rock Band has more releases and tracks.

• 3 weeks later...

todolist:

#1 get it flashed or do it yourself... www.team-xecuter.com i must say its pretty cool and easy to do! besides you have friends that want a softmod aswell probably ;)

#2 visit #xbins #jf #fw on efnet

#3 download all the games u want with FTP

#4 stealthpatch ur iso's with abgx360

step 5:

have 40 games and one problem...

that you got so many games and dont know which one to play hehe

games will cost you only 1,64 euro atleast for me

VoiD

out!

Just got an xbox360, any recommendations for games or accessories?

Accessories: Extended warranty and a x-clamp fix kit :lol:

On a serious note. Obviously anything that's not already on the pc at least atm. Resident Evil 5, Street Fighter 4, Gears 2, there's this new xbox live arcade game that's cheap and just pure awesome. It's called shadow complex, check it out, it's really fun, you won't believe it's only 15 bucks.

todolist:

#1 get it flashed or do it yourself... www.team-xecuter.com i must say its pretty cool and easy to do! besides you have friends that want a softmod aswell probably ;)

#2 visit #xbins #jf #fw on efnet

#3 download all the games u want with FTP

#4 stealthpatch ur iso's with abgx360

step 5:

have 40 games and one problem...

that you got so many games and dont know which one to play hehe

games will cost you only 1,64 euro atleast for me

VoiD

out!

I'm sorta new to the boards. Isn't this sorta thing frowned apon?

Thanks for not buying one of those Blue Ray players with gaming functionality & have fun Gaming :D!

I didn't hear you complain when "one of those dvd players with gaming functionalities" came out

If you own a Ps2 you don't know how ass backwards your comment just was. That's been Sony's business structure since it worked so well for the Ps2 when dvd players were way more expensive. Btw, what's the problem with owning a 300 dollar blu-ray player that runs linux and a few good games anyway? Sounds awesome to me.

Btw, I Own a Xbox 360. Unfortunately literally after 10 seconds of powering on it for the first time may I add, I rrod' and I haven't felt the motivation to send it in since everything else is basically on the Pc. Wii is way overpriced, Ps3 has crap library and supposedly shitty online, 360 sucks meh balls when it comes to hardware revisions and rrod's, Pc is so 2000. Pick your poison.

GL, HF, GG