TOR anonymizer - good thing or not?

ChiefGeek

sure. It can be useful for encrypting your traffic on public wifi, also can be useful for circumventing restricted access to certain websites for people in other countries that may not otherwise have access to that information or those websites.

sure. It can be useful for encrypting your traffic on public wifi, also can be useful for circumventing restricted access to certain websites for people in other countries that may not otherwise have access to that information or those websites.

It's good if you want to do some thing that is technically illegal but most people would consider a necessary evil. Posting to wikileaks for example.

TOR used to be something that people used for surfing from wireless cafe's and free hotspots to secure their traffic, but its also something a lot of people block these days, as exit nodes can be monitored and even manipulated in some respect. TOR is not 100% secure or going to keep prying eyes from seeing what you are doing, but for the most part, it helps in getting to sites that might otherwise be blocked by country IP address blocks or such. I have used it in the past for that very reason, to reach sites that blocked US IP addresses. Canadians can do the same to reach US sites, so it has some usefullness, but I would't use it with respect to privacy or security. Just as a means to proxify a connection, not secure my traffic.

Canadians can do the same to reach US sites, so it has some usefullness, but I would't use it with respect to privacy or security. Just as a means to proxify a connection, not secure my traffic.

However a regular free http proxy from elite-proxy is a lot better for this, I think. With TOR you're routing your traffic through dozens of nodes which causes transfer rates of 10kb/s or less from what I expirienced while trying it. In todays Web 2.0 that's simply not enough for anything on the web. No Video, no Audio, no Pictures (unless you want to wait 2 hours for a few pics to load).

So well, the idea behind TOR is good I think and there're certainly some times where it's actually useful. However most of the time it's rather useless because it's just not fast enough to get anything done.

I totally agree with blue dragon.TOR is extremely slow :unsure: ..sometimes it just takes forever to load web pages.TOR will only be good if you are just routing text rather than media.When I heard of TOR of it for the first time,I thought I was gonna be invincible and totally private but I realized I was wrong. :(

TOR used to be something that people used for surfing from wireless cafe's and free hotspots to secure their traffic, but its also something a lot of people block these days, as exit nodes can be monitored and even manipulated in some respect. TOR is not 100% secure or going to keep prying eyes from seeing what you are doing, but for the most part, it helps in getting to sites that might otherwise be blocked by country IP address blocks or such. I have used it in the past for that very reason, to reach sites that blocked US IP addresses. Canadians can do the same to reach US sites, so it has some usefullness, but I would't use it with respect to privacy or security. Just as a means to proxify a connection, not secure my traffic.

Then what would you recommend?

I wish to make myself completely anonymous (untraceable) online.

This includes IM (WLM), IRC & HTTP/HTTPS traffic.

Please recommend something,

Thanks in advance,

USBHacker

PS: What I've been recommended is Steganos, however I would prefer if there was a free alternative.

Then what would you recommend?

I wish to make myself completely anonymous (untraceable) online.

This includes IM (WLM), IRC & HTTP/HTTPS traffic.

Please recommend something,

Thanks in advance,

USBHacker

PS: What I've been recommended is Steganos, however I would prefer if there was a free alternative.

I recommend you unplug your computer

Sparda nailed it.

Any time you use IRC or IM, anything you have to sign into, you're handing over something that can probably be tied to you directly. The fact that you even mentioned "anonymous" and "untraceable" while mentioning services where you have to use a name (and will likely use one you've used in the past) means that you don't really understand the concepts of being anonymous and untraceable.

• 3 weeks later...