Low cost budget surveillance for driveway

ZesteR

Hey Hak5,

I'm gonna get right to it.. I've got someone or something coming onto the property and doing things to items in my yard and my car:

The straw that broke the camel's back is a broken windshield on my car. (def. not a rock from driving)

I would like to setup so sort of surveillance to record any/all activity that goes on.

e.g.

People walking, Cars coming and going, uninvited neighbor's cat who craps in our yard, possible suspects in vandalism.

I'm beyond mad with this, and would like to take matters into my own hands, but not take the law into my own hands.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!

I thought of some sort of network camera, but I do want to get footage at night.

Maybe a hunting camera that takes pics? I don't think they have a very far range.

Thanks!

I would think about security/motion activated lights. You would be surprised by how far they will go to scare off people. If you decide to go with cameras, remember that probably the largest point of failure for most cameras is lack of lighting. So either put lights out with the cameras, or go with more expensive cameras with night vision or cameras with IR lights.

I would think about security/motion activated lights. You would be surprised by how far they will go to scare off people. If you decide to go with cameras, remember that probably the largest point of failure for most cameras is lack of lighting. So either put lights out with the cameras, or go with more expensive cameras with night vision or cameras with IR lights.

I have flood lights that always kick on no matter where u are on teh driveway. but the problem/attach happened during the times between 8am and 10am this morning.

nice camera! but a lil out of my price range. I was looking at some on newegg for 50-70 range.

look at this.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/5-0M-Pixel-6LED-Web...1|39:1|240:1318

its really cheap but the LED's on it are a really bright blue, so hack them out and replace them with high intensity UV LED's prob about 1$ each and there u go night cam.

then use a 5 - 7 meter USB extension cable (7 is max before a repeater). plug it into a laptop with network access and largish hard drive (or external), install windows media encoder (free download) to record and stream the feed. then u can check on it any where there is a PC connected to your network and it saves the recorded as well.

is this what ur after?

I have seen paintball guns rigged up to cameras that shoot anything that moves. It is almost impossible not to get hit. I couldnt think of a more perfect time to use one. :)

I would suggest putting a video camera in your window or something.

If your flood lights are bright enough you dont need night vision.

the sad thing is, the gas station that i am working for uses that kind of camera and they are very shitty, you get a somewhat a blurred vision of what the person looks like unless the camera is about 4 feet in front of the person, to where you can get a good picture of the person/car/furballs.

P.S. not a very big fan of cats, dogs are better lol

Yeah I know its not that good but any camera will do and if the leds are cheap and shine blue then replace them with UV leds. I have the same one at home but less pixels and it does fine to get the face of any assholes trying to get in through my back door