Compatible OS to run on Aspire One?

theprophosizer

I was looking to install another OS besides Windows to use mainly for writing papers and browsing the internet (I.e IRC). I was thinking about running Linpus Linux Lite or Eeebuntu or any other OS. Any suggestions?

if thats all youre going to be doing then whats the problem with windows?

if thats all youre going to be doing then whats the problem with windows?

Worrying about virus' and hackers all the time on windows becomes annoying; though obviously linux has these too. Also use it for some pen testing but I can always run BT3 on a usb.

Worrying about virus' and hackers all the time on windows becomes annoying; though obviously linux has these too.

With a sentence like that, I do not advise linux. If you "worry" about viruses etc on Windows, you clearly do not have enough knowledge to install, run and maintain a linux installation sucessfully.

My advice to you: stick with Windows B)

I was wondering, if you get the Aspire one with XP, do you also get their customised version of Linux, or is that extra?

Most of the Linux distros have been installed on the Aspire One or the EEEPC. I know that debian has a version customised for these netbooks that can then simply point to the i386 repositories. Instructions on how to install are here.

From what I have seen of them, I would say that the Linux GUI on the Aspire One is very good. I don't think that there is really any advantage to using XP, since every single app that you might want to use is available on Linux and where XP might have an advantage on any other computer, it's really lost on netbooks. ie. gaming is going to suck on XP on a netbook anyway, etc.

I was wondering, if you get the Aspire one with XP, do you also get their customised version of Linux, or is that extra?

Most of the Linux distros have been installed on the Aspire One or the EEEPC. I know that debian has a version customised for these netbooks that can then simply point to the i386 repositories. Instructions on how to install are here.

From what I have seen of them, I would say that the Linux GUI on the Aspire One is very good. I don't think that there is really any advantage to using XP, since every single app that you might want to use is available on Linux and where XP might have an advantage on any other computer, it's really lost on netbooks. ie. gaming is going to suck on XP on a netbook anyway, etc.

Return your aspire one, purchase an EEE PC and run Ubuntueee or eeeUbuntu

With a sentence like that, I do not advise linux. If you "worry" about viruses etc on Windows, you clearly do not have enough knowledge to install, run and maintain a linux installation sucessfully.

My advice to you: stick with Windows B)

I've installed a couple linux distros, I think I could manage. I guess I just like to try differen't things.