What's your source for illuminated switches?

wire

I'm in the US and I'm looking to buy some illuminated pushbutton switches (so when the spst switch is in the on position it lights up). I think buying them locally is out of the question (we don't have dedicated electronics parts stores around here). Where should I be looking online? A quick google isn't coming up with a good retail option. I need 10 or so, preferably different or interchangeable colors.

EDIT: Something that looks like an elevator button would be ideal.

We have a radio shack but I wouldn't put them in the category of electronics parts stores anymore. The last time I was over there for some dpdt switches a year ago they had exactly one switch. They've basically tried to fit a whole store full of LEDs, motors, lights, wires, switches, microcontrollers, etc into one toolbox to make room for the latest compaq computer, tv set, cell phone, etc that they're selling.

Might be worth a look anyway, though. There's one close by so it couldn't hurt.

I'm in the US and I'm looking to buy some illuminated pushbutton switches (so when the spst switch is in the on position it lights up). I think buying them locally is out of the question (we don't have dedicated electronics parts stores around here). Where should I be looking online? A quick google isn't coming up with a good retail option. I need 10 or so, preferably different or interchangeable colors.

EDIT: Something that looks like an elevator button would be ideal.

I often buy parts from Digikey, they offer next day delivery.

On Digikey, a search for 'pushbutton', then narrowing it down to 'Tactile' (under switches), then narrowing it down to 'illuminated' gives a result of 119 items, spanning 5 pages.

Digikey mails out catalogs for free, they are over 2400 pages and it makes it a lot easier to browse for items than the website. (the website is great if you know exactly what you're searching for)

A couple of examples that I saw looking through the catalog: http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch...ame=708-1319-ND - it looks very nice, the catalog says it is 'vandal resistant' (but they are $23 each). For $2.69 there is this one: http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch...;name=EG4398-ND

(now that I reread your post and see you want 10 or so, the $23 ones might be a bit expensive.. But there's a wide variety, you may find something in your price range)

Another online source with large inventory is Mouser.

And a great site with lots of neat hobby-type electronics is SparkFun - it is definitely work checking out, they have some cool parts.

Thanks dallaskorben! Those are some great sites to check out. Does the giant digikey catalog have photos for the products? The website isn't very revealing.

There are some photos in the catalog, but it is also quite dense. But it is a lot easier than the website to flip through it to get an idea of what parts are available if you have no idea what is out there.

For a lot of the items that don't have a photo on the Digikey website, they will still have a datasheet available. Below the 'add to order' stuff is a link to the product's datasheet. Sometimes the datasheet is for one specific part, sometimes it is for a series of parts. So sometimes it takes some reading to figure out exactly which part is which (but sometimes you end up discovering an interesting line of products).

It's not what I had in mind (buttons too small) but one look and I want it anyway.

That looks like a pretty slick button pad. Sparkfun has a ton of neat products, everytime I go to their site to look at one item, I end up finding three other items I want too. :)

Try Grainger's or local electrical supply shop. Most towns that have any type of manufacturing have a local electrical supply shop that services them. Heck go down the industrial area of your town and ask the secretary at the front desk if she knows the names of the local shops.

BTW, most elevator buttons are going to be rated to run at 240VAC not 110VAC