full LAMP on personal server?

H@L0_F00

Ok so I'm gonna put Apache on my Ubuntu server and I was wondering whether I should install the whole LAMP package.

I have been reading up on MySQL but I'm still not sure on how it works and what it does lol I'm getting the jist that it's mainly used for bigger servers with search functions or something? Please correct me because I'm probably completely wrong haha

What are the benefits of MySQL? and should I install it on my small Ubuntu server that i expect won't have anymore than 20 ppl a day? The website will have a tutorial on how to connect to my server to use it as an SSH SOCKS proxy and that's about it.

Ok so I'm gonna put Apache on my Ubuntu server and I was wondering whether I should install the whole LAMP package.

I have been reading up on MySQL but I'm still not sure on how it works and what it does lol I'm getting the jist that it's mainly used for bigger servers with search functions or something? Please correct me because I'm probably completely wrong haha

What are the benefits of MySQL? and should I install it on my small Ubuntu server that i expect won't have anymore than 20 ppl a day? The website will have a tutorial on how to connect to my server to use it as an SSH SOCKS proxy and that's about it.

Ok, so I'm no MySQL/Apache expert...but I've played with it and researched it. The benefit of MySQL is that it's FREE! You don't have to pay Microsoft for software or licensing like you do for the SQL Server product. MySQL can be used for any size implementation. I recommend that you go ahead and install LAMP. Why not?? It's all packaged nicely for you rather than installing the products manually. Go for it. Read up on securing the database and you are going to need to install some MySQL GUI Client tools. Check out this link: http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/gui-tools/5.0.html.

Ok, so I'm no MySQL/Apache expert...but I've played with it and researched it. The benefit of MySQL is that it's FREE! You don't have to pay Microsoft for software or licensing like you do for the SQL Server product. MySQL can be used for any size implementation. I recommend that you go ahead and install LAMP. Why not?? It's all packaged nicely for you rather than installing the products manually. Go for it. Read up on securing the database and you are going to need to install some MySQL GUI Client tools. Check out this link: http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/gui-tools/5.0.html.

would the CLI be that much harder than GUI? Because I'm trying to learn more about managing Linux through CLI and so far it's been working out quite well :D I'm also doing EVERYTHING remotely (next door lol) through SSH because the server is at my neighbors house and connected through his router

And do you really think I'll need a database program for a website that will have like 4 pages at the most? lol

Well, you can have mysql for learning purposes even if the page you'll be hosting in the server won't use it.

As being a database server, doesn't mean that you need to use it for web development, you can use it to store/receive data from other sources as well, but, isn't mandatory of course, if you aren't going to use it at all there's no point in installing it.

As for cli use, the mysql bundled client es good enough to manage, to me however it's best to use gui tool when you have to work with very big databases or large result sets, not that you can't do it in the client but using gui tools makes it easy to not get lost 

I'm not sure if you know what SQL is,

If you do then you should have a small idea what MySQL is, It's mainly designed for larger databases I'd recommend SQLite though. If your creating a small XHTML static page for your tutorial then you will not need MySQL or any SQL database.

Personally I'd get MySQL on their ASAP! If you don't need it know you will need it soon and you might as well start of using it in my opinion.

The only thing I would say that you don't need is mail, its just not worth bothering with, too much hassle.

And of course only install the language support that your going to need, whether its perl, php, python etc. If you don't need all of them then don't install them all.

Well if you only intend on providing a site to inform users on your secure tunnel XHTML will do fine and doesn't rely on any server side interpreters.