hacking on web as final year project-plz help

perhaps you all wonder why i am doing this instead of going straight to the proffessor i have been assigned to

for the project............the reason is that its not USA......the place i study in is a center of excellence here and yet there are lots of infrastructural and administrative problem........the problem i am facing is my mentor is from field of MIS (management information system) ,perhaps thats a mistake but so we are facing some problems..........I wanted to do this whole thing in Java....cause i will sit for SCJP 1.5 next month,so it will let me be in touch with java........but she was not so sure about what project can accomplish that goal..........by the time my mentor changes , it will be too late to change the project.............So, i asked you for help..........if you can give me topics in network security.......................that is why i mentioned JAVA so many times , and asked for specific topics ................ it would have been much greater if i found some topics which i can carry on in JAVA .............. but there were some communication gaps (mostly because of me though)........that is why i still can not reach you with my problem..........

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i heard from one of our teacher who did MS from one of the State Universities in USA(don't remember which one) that in USA all that you do you do by yourself....from the scratch..........here in india teachers assist a lot in the initial phase...how and where to start.......so,i exactly asked for that.......even if it looks like asking for spoon feeding......i don't want to waste your time.................but even then, some camp up with advises that are truly good advises

I know little about Java but maybe you could try to find vulnerabilities in poorly written code that would allow you to gain access to the computer, gather information, etc. Just a suggestion ;)

p.s. Seeing as you didn't get the proper welcoming to Hak5... Welcome :D

p.s.s. Most people here have spent much of their lives learning about security, hacking, technology, etc. and aren't going to give you a direct answer. That's what hacking is all about, creativity, the want to learn, and passion. If every Joe Blow that asked "how can I hack 1137!?!?!" and got what they wished, then there would be no integrity and/or reason to be a hacker, as that would destroy the whole mindset and lifestyle that a hacker is. Next time research a specific topic before asking a question, and when you really can't find an answer, which is highly unlikely if you have any knowledge about the wonders of google, then ask specific questions. Anyways... I hope you find what your looking for, learn something new, and do well on your project ;)

EDIT: Many people also get annoyed at double posting. Use the edit button on the bottom right portion of the post if you have extra information you forgot to include.

Mr. loony Guitarist, i am doing my B.Tech in Information Technology,currenty in 4th year.........

Information Technology is still kinda broad. IT can include degrees in programming, security, networking, ect.

Sorry if you are irritated by the use of abbreviations,i will keep that in mind......i apologized already for the double posting (look at the first post of this thread).................

Sorry If I came off angry... not my intention. just trying to keep the world from eventually speaking in text message speak.

The term ethical hacking is, in my mind, complete bullshit. Its like calling yourself an ethical drug dealer.

did you watch the last episode of hak5? hackers are people too. and with equipment getting cheaper and software like vmware out there it is all to easy to practice hacking efficiently without breaking the law. illegal drugs are illegal to posses use or sell, hacking on the other hand is only illegal if you don't have permission to access the network/computer you are hacking. so I fail to see the comparison between drug dealers and ethical hackers.

So, i asked you for help..........if you can give me topics in network security.......................that is why i mentioned JAVA so many times.

Umm... well... I have a BA in information systems security which required an Associates in networking. throughout both degrees I never once used or had any references to JAVA which is a programing language. so I guess I am still a little confused about what your degree is in when you are asking for topics on network security and keep referring to JAVA. (Unless there is some kind of general IT degree at your school)

Basically Network security is going to deal with securing physical equipment and hardening your configuration files for your routers and firewalls as well as hardening your servers. all of which has little, if nothing, to do with JAVA.

i am about to start my final year project (i am undergrad student ) on Hacking....what we have to do is to hack my friends computer....i know java,c,sql,and a bit of networking(read the books by farhouzen , tannenbum..just that)....my friend has the same ISP though, but i have no idea about the routers in between........can you please suggest me what are the things i need to study for doing the project...............all i am asking is just tell me where to start..........because it looks very confusing..........someone says write java code, someone else says use wireshark.......... :unsure: what should i do? :unsure:plz reply. :unsure:

p.s. i posted this on a thread earlier by mistake.....hope u ppl don't mind

So you're on your final year, on this "Hacking course" and you've been given a project

to hack into a friends computer?

I find it very hard to see a school that promotes the students to do a illegal action.

Anyways, I'll give you the instructions..

CMD -> C:\ /Q/X/

Why don't you go and hack a gibson..

and also i have already got 2 jobs ( 1 in Tata Consultency Services and 1 in Infosys , i wonder if u ever heard of them,but i have to tell you anyway) as software developer.....so i need not worry about that either.......i did not want to talk about my personal details but you insisted.

I have heard of both of them. Both companies were at a recent Computer Round table Job fair that my University hosted. Funny story about Tata. I was browsing the career fair, looking for internships. I saw Tata and decided to check them out after all that I had heard about the company recently in the news and in one of my business-technology classes. So I went over there and the person gave me his spiel about the company, and basically said one of the unique internships they offered to me was to go to India and other countries and teach English. Since this did not relate to my field (the career fair was hosted by my major, Computer and Information Technology) I just smiled and nodded. I then asked about summer internships and he gave me his spiel again. I asked him where they were located in the U.S. and he promptly replied "all 55 states". Anyway just thought that was funny...

thanks Mr looney guiterist............previously i was somewhat a little hurt by the harsh comments.............but you look very nice in your last comment.......thanks..........Mr looney guiterist , its an engineering degree ,not on specific computer applications(you are right,even its tagged as a computer related one , its more like a combination of electronics,computer sc and management)..........what i meant was is it a good idea to write s/w s like vmware,honeypots in java.....

Mr smoothCriminal, that is a very funny story , unlike in your place , in india there is no job fair in an university , companies come one at a time when you are in 6th semester.........first they take an aptitude test , then technical interview and HR round and finally selection.........in fact aptitude test is given even more value than your technical knowledge.......i had only 2 chances and converted it ...........in february IBM,HP and Accenture will be coming .....i hope to nail at least one...thats why i am in hurry to do my SCJP...just to get an edge...........was your man american?or someone went there from india?

Do a paper on how "hacking", sometimes, is ethical in and amongst its self. Well, hacking and discloser to the software creator allows that person to patch the vulnerability before it can be exploited in the wild and become a fiasco, like the 0day IE bug. You can argue the two sides of hacking, the black hat and white hat. Where black hat you can say that person does it for malicious skiddy reasons, and white hats are there to find these vulnerability and help patch them so that other do not get hurt. Take it into a land of fantasy where the black hats are like Saruman and the white hats are elves then your computer can be Mordor, and as we know "you cant simple telnet into mordor".

But there are multiple routes you can take a final thesis but you should have a clear topic before you start, one that you have gained a vast knowledge of over your years at said university.

On an off topic not... look at Baggins nick names http://www.imdb.com/character/ch0000153/

Dingle Berries ,i am sorry i never watched the hobbits.........and the names bilbo baggins and throin (got them from your imdb link ) sounds funny to me, although i don't know if those names have any meanings at all.............i ,though watch a lot of american tv series ...........Full House , Friends and Hogan's Heroes are among my most feavourites.................i watched like a zillion of hollywood movies also........i just dream may be someday i will just go there and settle down...........this whole recession thing sucks big time..........H1b visas are very hard to come by........................job market is pretty much down here.............all IT companies are downsizing ....................how is the situation in USA?

....................his...............nickname............is Uncle Dildo...........i thought it was funny.....................see how............annoying this is??????????????????

LMAO

i know his double posts are annoying .............. and with....... the periods between the words

if u want to learn how to hack why don't u actually spend time to watch some of the hak5 episodes i got one of my friends into hacking with hak5 and he was a total newbie so instead of asking people to do your dirty work why don't you try hacking a computer that you don't personally use that is how i got started

http://tinyurl.com/467ror

You may want to include this in your report.

DarkBlueBox'es Patented Guide to Hacking:

1) Take an axe to the computer and hack repetedly at it

2) Open Command prompt and type "net user delete <domain> yourusername"

3) Open command prompt and type "net send <domain> administrator "Im trying to hack you, come attack me and take my cake""

4) Chew on the Main Power Cable to the Computer

7) Copy the Garbage file

may be for my thesis i make a software that will post "an apology for double posting " for every user who hits this thread,because i have done enough already. Well i don't want to hack anymore,i have already got some advises from here on vulnerabilities(YES,perhaps people here don't like me,but they DO give good advices,that is why i still check this thread every now and then) and working on that.

So mr. i337virus , if you had followed the conversation here,you would have understood i am not asking for my "dirty works" to be done by anyone anymore..

Dingle Berries, i appreciate your advises about periods as well..i thought i used them not in the middle of the sentances,but i can change if you want and i will change if you want

This thread started as retarded, and has descended into more of it.

newbie, you're just that. And maybe even a noob. Please don't ask how to hack, because as you can see it makes you look like an idiot and annoys people.

This thread has completely deviated from the original topic into even more stupidity. Stop posting to this damn thing. It only makes you look like idiots too.

This should not be a hot topic people. Really.

H@L0_F00, i thought what you meant by double posting was posting in two different threads..now i guess it may have something to do with posting twice at the same time..sincere apology because if i got that earlier,i would have stopped doing that immediately.

jjhappypants,my Führer, thanks for the words like "retard" and "noob"..you brought in some variety where other people kept whinning about same bad old things

Dingleberries ,sorry brother for that double posting(tell me this time i am correct)..bye the way , your website looks very nice..i liked your tone,but you turned critical..

i have taken project on Finite Automata(the thing i already know and so i don't have to bear any humiliation for asking people about it)..had i taken it few days earlier, i didn't have to meet people like jjhappypants..but there is a good side also..i met looney guiterist, vako,coder3d,h@L0_F00..who appeared to me nice despite the fact the question was stupid(i realized it later)

do me one more fevour, STOP POSTING

thanks buddy for wishing good luck.its just so many criticisms that looked like pure hatred, my every step was criticised, i was (and still i am ) completely ignorant of networking..also this is first time i posted in a non-indian blog..i tried to take your opinion to do my best ,some times i could not get you (like the double posting thing),but never thought some 16 yr old boy will call me noob.

i came here to make some good friends ,specially i wanted to know the american people(i have already posted enough emotional garbage) ..but you took my ignorance for stupidity,and communication gap for retardness.

i would have loved to come back here to be a part of this community because of your impressive knowledge( even that 16 yr old has designed a very beautiful website)..but , what can i say ,i better say the thing that i said million times..sorry if i caused you some trouble,or annoyed you

wish you merry christmas in advance..to all of you