2k3 DNS Security

G-Stress

I'm doing a test out training course and following as I go along covering 2k3 infrastructure right now. I'm running 1 server 2k3 Enterprise Edition and the other 2k3 R2 Standard Edition. On the 2k3 R2 Server the DNS server properties I have no security tab. I'm trying to set permissions on the DNS server so I can connect to that DNS server, but can't figure out how to do so being that I have no Security tab.

Anyone have any idea why? Also no options in Group Policy have been set yet.

I'm doing a test out training course and following as I go along covering 2k3 infrastructure right now. I'm running 1 server 2k3 Enterprise Edition and the other 2k3 R2 Standard Edition. On the 2k3 R2 Server the DNS server properties I have no security tab. I'm trying to set permissions on the DNS server so I can connect to that DNS server, but can't figure out how to do so being that I have no Security tab.

Anyone have any idea why? Also no options in Group Policy have been set yet.

For what do you need a security tab? You are only able to configure DNS when you are at least belong to the group 'DNS-admin' or the normal 'administrator'. As a member of the group 'DNS user' you have readonly access to the DNS-mmc. When the DNS is AD-integrated there are ACLs behind each entry...

For me its pretty secure when is at the newest patch level.

Mike

@ lanwanman,

No I don't have a security tab that is exactly what I'm trying to figure out. I do on my 1 machine running 2k3 Enterprise Edition and I can set permissions, but on the 2k3 R2 machine I don't.

@ Mike S.

The weird thing is DNS-admin doesn't appear to be a valid group on the 2k3 R2 machine. There is a DHCP Users group but no kind of DNS group at all. This machine is not promoted to be a DC it's just running DNS.