Laptop Suggestion

darkwolf

I have recently been doin a little browsin the net to find a new laptop and cannot make up my mind about which to get. I was hopin that someone here might be willin to give me some suggestion.

I have been seriously considerin the Dell Mini 9 or Mini 12, but I don't know if it'll be quiet what I want.

For the most part this computer will be used for mobile computing (obviously), stuff like wardiving/stumbling, working on various papers I'm researchin and the such. There will be no gaming and no movie watching. I will probably be runnin Damn Small Linux or Backtrack.

Any and all suggestions welcome.

If you just want to use it for internet browsing and some hacking in my opinion if you are budget limited you should take a look at Acer Aspire One and eeePC. I have Acer and I think it's great.

The great thing about getting a netbook like an Acer Aspire One or Dell Mini 9/12 is that the cheapest models are already pre-loaded with some sort of linux so tracking down the drivers for the hardware won't be a problem.

Just make sure you're OK with the tiny keyboard size. If you're looking for a full size keyboard, by laptop standards, look at something with a screen size over 10 inches.

The great thing about getting a netbook like an Acer Aspire One or Dell Mini 9/12 is that the cheapest models are already pre-loaded with some sort of linux so tracking down the drivers for the hardware won't be a problem.

Just make sure you're OK with the tiny keyboard size. If you're looking for a full size keyboard, by laptop standards, look at something with a screen size over 10 inches.

The keyboards really arent that tiny, they keyboards on my mini note 2133's are 92% the size of a regular laptop. people tend to think that the keys are super tiny for some reason but if you look at your keyboard theres alot of extra room for keys that you rarely use.

I have looked at the suggestions and am quiet fond of the eeePC 901, it looks like it may do just what I want/need. However during some other lookin around on the net I found a link to a product that is due for release soon and I think it might just be more of what I want. Has anyone here heard of Open Pandora? It looks like a very handy piece of hardware.

It looks cool and also impossible to get. Since you said you weren't interested in gaming, I'm not sure this gaming handheld is what you're looking for. Can't imagine typing whole papers on this, but I might be a bit keyboard-size obsessed.

Great comparison shot:

comparison.jpg

It looks cool and also impossible to get. Since you said you weren't interested in gaming, I'm not sure this gaming handheld is what you're looking for. Can't imagine typing whole papers on this, but I might be a bit keyboard-size obsessed.

Great comparison shot:

comparison.jpg

I don't know maybe it's just the idea that I could stick Pandora in my pocket is what I find to be so great about it. Impossible to get, yeah for now but hopefully they'll put them on the market soon. If I had the money and could have found out about them sooner I would have tried to get one when they first put them out for dev/testing. I could definitely run it through the mill and if it would survive a month after I got my hands on it I wouldn't be lookin at buyin another laptop.

What is the small laptop you have in the pic? I can't quite tell what it is.

those pandoras are kids toys. if you want a mans toy get an HTC shift or HTC advantage x7510. those are pimp shit

Your right those are definitely nice but over $1k, that's well beyond my budget at the moment lol. Also I wouldn't even know how to begin running any linux on it and I'm not going to get somethin I'm going to get confused by as soon as I open the box. I made that mistake too many times in the past and refuse to make it again. :)

Your right those are definitely nice but over $1k, that's well beyond my budget at the moment lol. Also I wouldn't even know how to begin running any linux on it and I'm not going to get somethin I'm going to get confused by as soon as I open the box. I made that mistake too many times in the past and refuse to make it again. :)

you either master technology or technology will master you.

Acer aspire one is a good netbook, with a hdd drive option instead of them 4gig solidstate flash drives or something.

you'lll notice that it has 2 sd card readers, LOL. this is because originally it was a 4gig storage, and that held the os and crap, so they have a card reader for personal storage expansion, and then, they have the other one for dealing with photos off your digital camera... thats basically awesome that they still have both sd card readers in it now that they have a real hdd model with lots of space... i think they are definately great for being able to throw into a backpack and not WEIGH YOU DOWN and because of the size, they dont take that comfort away that you have to be careful with your backpack, you just throw it in your bag and off you go...

one complaint: EXTENDED BATTERY - IT IS EXTENDED RIGHT HANGING OUT THE BACK OF THE NETBOOK 2 INCHES. bulky big battery = stupid, make your products nice looking AND with extended batteries acer... c'mon.

Like others mentioned the Acer Aspire One is a great deal with 1GB RAM and an optional 120GB HDD - optional integrated GSM 3G or WiMAX module. THe HP mini 1000 has a 92% full sized keyboard and I saw it in store and the keyboard is noticeably larger than other netbooks. If you like a big keyboard, consider the HP mini.

I will not be putting windows on any of my computers. I became converted to *nix a few years back and the only time I mess with windows is if I have to use someone elses computer for whatever reason. Which caused me to have alot of fun when I went to Iraq in '06 cause the US government uses windows on alot of the workstations. I work in the communications dept so I had to relearn xp while I was in Iraq then reforget it once I got back home lol.

I have decided to start school next year (summer time) so I am going to have to pinch every penny I can to save up for a laptop and I'm leaning towards the aspire cause I like the dual sd card slot.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

you can get the mini note 2133 for 399 now. thats your best value right there. i paid over 800 dollars for each one of mine when they first came out a few months ago. the specs are very nice and it has SOLID construction. i have two of these and they are very very nice.

you can get the mini note 2133 for 399 now. thats your best value right there. i paid over 800 dollars for each one of mine when they first came out a few months ago. the specs are very nice and it has SOLID construction. i have two of these and they are very very nice.

Even though alot of these are as inexpensive as they are I have to save for it. My only income is less than 200USD/month and has been that way for a while so I have no savings. :( Once I get enrolled in school though the lack of income won't matter anymore.

A problem I have though, I have to like the way something looks before I buy it. That being said I like some details of the mini note I find a few I don't like. I know it's a pathetic reason to not buy something that I need lol.